Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki God Mystery

Pages: 1 6 replies

Found this Tiki guy at an Orange County, CA thrift store. Was wondering if anyone knew the history of it. He's about 7 inches tall and hand carved out of a heavy wood. It has a little message written on the back, on an index card that has to be at least 40 years old. This is what the message says:

My Name is Kapu Keii.
Treat me Tenderlyii
And I'll Be Good,
Like I Should,
And Treat YOU nice, SweeTii.

If anyone knows who this little guy is, let me know!

H

What a Prize !!!! Coolest "Find" I have seen in a while....To me it looks like it has a lot of `AU MAKUA going for it. Looking for the right picture/drawing, its around here somewhere...here's a clue for now

Hotiki,

Thanks for the clues. Does look close to that. Anyone else have any info? I will be keeping this. Not looking to make a buck.

LapuRocker

H

Getting a little closer...will find it one of these days

Hottiki, I have greatly enjoyed your Tiki sleuthing and related posts, but I cannot follow you on either of your two comparisons. The features of Lapu Rockers' carving differ in major parts from the O.A. and Denver Motel Tiki:

For one, both have mouths, his carving doesn't. The other feature is the crossed hands across the belly, a typical Marquesan tradition. The arms-on-the-side stance point to a Hawaiian origin. I don't think Lapu's guy is based on any restaurant Tiki, but is either a tourist item from Hawaii, or a hobby Tiki inspired by old Hawaiian god figures. This one came to mind:

...but while it is similar in overall spirit, it differs in many details.
This bad boy has a similar expression with his elongated jaw...

...but is otherwise much different and more stylized.
Also, the stocky stature of Lapu's idol could be compared to this mean mother:

...but again no close match. So my vote is that this is a one-off, personal interpretation of a Hawaiian Akua. It looks like he is wearing a minimalist headdress.

What is a bit confusing also is the wordplay at the end of the dedication: "...SweeTii"
"Ti'i" is the TAHITIAN version of the Hawaiian "Ki'i", which are both used like the Marquesan and Maori "Tiki"

HT

On 2012-09-13 01:35, dianefox wrote:
The players can be purchased through the buy.guildwars2.com website and a lot of cooperation retailers Buy Guild Wars 2 gold[/url] with fast delivery. Cheap Guild Wars 2 gold is very popularArenaNet sale of the first batch of online sales and retail supplier - this day is game day officially on sale on August 30 - just to keep up with demand and to ensure buy the game players can continue to maintain the best online experience.

Really? A spam bot on TC? Ugh.

I am glad it brought this thread to the top for me to read though.

[ Edited by: Bora Boris - Removed spam links. Please don't respond to spam. - 2012-09-13 06:02 ]

Mmmmm. Spam. Maybe it's a clue that it is indeed of Hawaiian origin.

Pages: 1 6 replies