Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

So....is this spearmint?

Pages: 1 15 replies

Last summer, I had planted in a old mixing bowl filled with potting soil some spearmint seeds to grow and use in drinks. Anyway, shortly after I had planted them, I found my schipperkee DC (small black dog) licking the top of the soil. Figured that I'd start spotting spearmint growing in the yard anywhere he laid his little spearmint seed laden schipperke bombs. Today while walking around the yard looking at my papaya plants, I spotted patches of this:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l63/dar_125/IMG_20111215_110429.jpg

growing all over the yard. I'm guessing these are my spearmint? If so, I'm thinking of transplanting some of it in a pot (could just cut what I need off the yard, but the aformentioned schipperke may....eh..."fertilize" it and I don't want "fertilizer" in my drinks).

thanks,
howlinowl

So....is this tiki?

On 2011-12-15 08:36, 4WDtiki wrote:
So....is this tiki?

I dunno.....the drinks are tiki, Mai Tai. Served in Tiki mugs while listening to Exotica music. Posted in the wrong section??? Maybe should have put it in Food and Drink? Looked for, but didn't find a "tiki gardening" section.....maybe we need one.....after all the Mai Kai has a garden area......

howlinowl

H

Moved to Tiki Drinks and Food.

Thanks for the help.....place reminds me of junior high school. New kid asks for a little help and gets nothing but grief from the cool kids.....

Q

HAHA!! Great comment about Jr. high... And true in many ways. (I too am a newbie)

I couldn't discern Spearmint from the "fertilizer" in your yard, but try picking some and rubbing it to see what it smells like. I think it's cool that you are trying to grow some garnish.

Cheers!

I'll try that.

Actually, I'm not that "new". Joined here in 2008. Lurked for many years before. But only have sixty someodd posts. Still mostly lurk.

Probably will just go back to lurking. Just seems a lot of the fun gets sucked out of this place. And what is tiki without fun?

howlinowl

Sorry, but that's definitely not spearmint, it's a weed (maybe a Blackseed or Common Plantain, or similar in the Plantago genus). Lucky me, I have both spearmint and that weed in my yard. Spearmint leaves have serrated edges, and Q-tiki's suggestion about rubbing the leaves between your fingers is the easiest test.

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2011-12-15 11:04 ]

On 2011-12-15 09:09, howlinowl wrote:
Thanks for the help.....place reminds me of junior high school. New kid asks for a little help and gets nothing but grief from the cool kids.....

On 2011-12-15 09:17, Q-tiki wrote:
HAHA!! Great comment about Jr. high... And true in many ways. (I too am a newbie)

Gimme yer mai tai money, n00bs, or I'll give you a wedgie!!! :D

Q

Uh-oh... RUN!!!!

:)

Hmm... Nobody wants weed in their drink.

Wait for it...

Actually some old cocktail recipes call for "liquid marijuana". I know nothing further.

W

As said above, the leaves are kind of serrated, and the stem is four sided.

On 2011-12-15 09:28, howlinowl wrote:
Probably will just go back to lurking. Just seems a lot of the fun gets sucked out of this place. And what is tiki without fun?

Lighten up, Francis, it was meant as a joke. As in, ADDing some fun, not sucking it out with overly sensitive feelings. If you WERE a newb, I wouldn't have posted that.
:drink: :wink:

C

Incidentally square stems are a hallmark of mints, and their closest relatives, but the easiest way is to smell it, or to taste it.. There are only a few plants that can kill by contact... your like 75% safe...

Looking through the posts above I see mentions of "dog fertilizer","weed","smell" and "taste"

HERE is the thing that ties them all together :lol:

Does it smell like mint? easy peasy, now mix up some cocktails boy! or lady if you please.

Keep having fun, yes this is a tough room, so put on a flak vest & start collecting scars from some
nasty knife fights (proverbially speaking of course)(or maybe not)
but (Air Quotes) Tiki (Air Quotes) is at it's very core, about the fun, so "Get Some!"
And in the words of "Albert Einstein: Fuck em if they can't take a Theoretical joke"

CTiT out....
:lol: :lol: :lol: and a :drink:

Pages: 1 15 replies