Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My First Tiki Carvings and a new one 29/08/2013

Pages: 1 30 replies

G

Hi all, I hope this is the right place for this post.

My first carving under the guidence of Mr Tiki Beat

This is my second tiki carving.
I was sick of working on the project car, so spent a little time hacking out my take on a Moai. It's carved out of an Iron Bark (local hardwood eucalypt species) log round and finished in decking oil. About 700mm high. Used an arbotech blade in a 4 inch grinder to rough it out and then finished it off with the mallet, chisels, sandpaper and a lot of elbow grease.

Cheers
Grimbo :D

[ Edited by: Grimbo 2013-04-03 02:15 ]

[ Edited by: Grimbo 2013-08-29 02:51 ]

S

Moai looks great Grimbo, welcome to TC.

Nice job on the Moai, greetings from Cali.

T

Well done, Grimbo! Aloha from Florida...

-Tom

K
Keylo posted on Sat, Dec 24, 2011 5:11 AM

Those tikis look great! Not to mention hangin out with Marcus and getting some pointers from him, cool stuff.

P

awesome firsties!

Great start Grimbo. I really dig the moai!
Cheers,
Erik the Red

I love that Moai. The grain patterns in the Eucalyptus is beautiful and that can be some tough wood to work with-- impressive begining!

Great work!! The cracks and splits add lots of character to that Moai ....

Love that Moai!!!!

G

First up thanks for all the positive feedback guys!

I have a long way to go before I reach the quality of the carvers on this forum. I'm just stoked to be carving tikis, the bug has bitten and I'm looking forward to carving many more.

Cheers
Grimbo :D

Nice work on that Moai!!!!

Awesome moai grimbo!look forward to next.Cheers Watango

G
Grimbo posted on Wed, Apr 3, 2013 2:19 AM

Sorry, it's been a while since my last posts, and I've only carved two more tikis. This is the most recent.

I was asked by a friend to make an Elvis tiki as a wedding present. I went for an Elvis inspired Moai, the timber is Cooba and the rough dimensions are 480mm high x 150mm wide x 125mm deep or 19 inches x 6 x 5. Pretty happy with how it turned out, my friends were happy, I just hope the newly weds like it.

Cheers
Sam

Elvis looks great! Beautiful wood

Looking Good!!!

N
NIxxon posted on Wed, Apr 3, 2013 7:02 AM

Elvis is back!! Really great piece of wood ya got there.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Apr 3, 2013 10:26 AM

That Elvis Moai is awesome! Love the wood, and very clean finish on that baby.

A
amate posted on Wed, Apr 3, 2013 10:28 AM

Cool Elvis.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Apr 3, 2013 9:35 PM

Looking great Grimbo!

C
Cljha posted on Thu, Apr 4, 2013 3:02 AM

Hi Grimbo,

Your firsties are way cool, especially the moai, well done.
As for the elvis the wood is tip-top, your work also, congratulations
Keep it coming :wink:

G
Grimbo posted on Fri, Apr 5, 2013 1:25 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Well my friends were stoked with it in person. This is my first tiki sold. Hopefully it wont be so long before my next post with a new tiki.

Cheers
Grimbo

[ Edited by: Grimbo 2013-04-05 01:26 ]

[ Edited by: grimbo 2013-04-06 01:06 ]

Nice work. Love the Moai. I'm gonna try one myself soon.

T

WOW!

excellent work, the Elvis is great!

Very nice. It's hard to believe that is only your second tiki carving. You have a gift.

Tiki Elvis, RI-DI-CU-LOUS...!

Those are all nice! Elvis Moai is a juxtaposition that never crossed my mind before but it works really well, someone just needs to hang some leis around his neck and he will be complete! :wink: Keep going your best stuff is waiting to be carved. :)

G

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys, it really keeps a person inspired. Finding the time to carve is the hard part. Just to clarify this is actually tiki nummber 4, number 3 is still in progress and I might have a bit of a head start as I'm a carpenter by trade.

Cheers
Sam

G

I've been working on this little guy on and off for a year now. It's about 7 inches tall, nearly finished just need to sand and finish him. Heaps more hours in this guy than my big Moai.

Cheers
Sam

Hay, that thing's good.
At first glance,
I thought it was taken in a log cabin &
was 7 ft tall.

Pages: 1 30 replies