Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

has anyone see or know anything about this plaque

Pages: 1 13 replies

hi there .
found this at a garage sale in canada and i.ve not been able to find anything about it , any help would be awesome , i have a large collection of tikis but this is one that has stumped me its 1/2 thick and 7x36 inches +- looks like lava molded and has no markings that i can find

thanks .
jason

Could this be the largest Coco Joe yet?
It is Hawaiian for sure.

C

It's a plaque of two Hawaiian guys, but I could be wrong.

C

They look mad at each other.

I remember seeing a matched set of Coco Joe's plaques (each one different) that were similar to this on e-Bay a couple of years ago. They went for a couple hundred if I remember correctly. Great score!

hi there .

thanks , i got the plaque for $15 and the lady said she bought it in hawaii on holliday 20 years ago but that was all , i also got some frank schirman pieces from her, it has the moled in wire into the back like some coco joes pieces i have , i have had the piece for 3 years now and look on the bay from time to time but never see one like this befor , thanks for the help so far .

jason

On 2011-12-29 23:33, Trader Tom wrote:
I remember seeing a matched set of Coco Joe's plaques (each one different) that were similar to this on e-Bay a couple of years ago. They went for a couple hundred if I remember correctly. Great score!

hmmmm looks more like one Hawaiian guy looking at a reflection of himself in a pond. I do argee he does look mad.

I looked all over facebook for some info on this, but I couldn't find a thing! :(

I do rememeber something about it.

That's an early Cocojoe's piece...

"Hawaiian Lore in Lava
The 'life of the land' is artistically and dramatically expressed by coco joes in these Hawaiian Lava Bas Relief.

#503 The Warriors-Hawaiian Chiefs in martial combat. Revealed in this action scene created out of blue flame lava is the ancient Hawaiian custom of combat to the death. Catching an opponent's spear was the significant challenge of the Makahiki War Games."

Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2011-12-30 00:32 ]

So it is a Cocojoe!

HOK

Scooore! :) There are 3 other styles similar in size to this...Happy Hunting :lol:
Try to keep this out of direct sunlight, I've heard a sad story of one cracking from too much heat...pretty thin, with alot of incised details....

[ Edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2011-12-30 01:53 ]

We have seen so many CoCo Joes that are bent forward from being placed in windows. Good reminder Freddie. Love that plaque great score! Wendy

hi there .

thanks for the info on keeping it out of the sun , moved it to a darker wall . thanks bay Park buzzy that info will help .

thanks
jason

Think I found one of its mates this weekend.

hi there .

thats awesome were did you find it i'm always looking on ebay for one to pop up if you dont mind how much did you get it for , would you sell it and how much would love to add it to mine .
thanks
for the show .
jason

On 2012-04-15 16:56, UtopianDreem wrote:
Think I found one of its mates this weekend.

Pages: 1 13 replies