Tiki Central / Tiki Gallery

Sunset Mike- Current Works

Pages: 1 36 replies

more detailed images coming

Island Girl : Schefflera wood, teak oil finish. Entirely non-machine handwork

Cypress wood, two tone stain, teak oil finish.- 5 feet,8 inches tall

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2012-01-02 18:17 ]

Wow, love the finish on the wood and the super tall tikis. That is quite a feat to carve the woman. My one wooden tiki was hard enough. You certainly have the skill to do anything you want. I hope you are doing a step by step carving thread too. Cheers, Wendy

Go Ahead, Make my Day!

And You did Wendy! Thanks for the compliments and that step by step idea sounds like something to do. The Tikis cost money but advice is free-Stay in touch!

HJ

Looking good. Man, that front-of-house piece is huge!

Yep, he's my biggest yet! 11 feet tall. A trimmed stump of queen palm coated in epoxy resin for endurance against the elements.

Mahalo!

M

That pole is awesome, nice work!

You can see it live @ 1931 Studebaker in Long Beach, CA.

This Pedestal is made of a Cypress Burl. No stain. The natural, organic shapes accentuated by chiseling. Natural wood hues, teak oil finish.

Cypress wood is resistant to rot, acid, insects and mold and will last for Centuries!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2012-03-23 21:57 ]

Rear View

The pedestal in action with current works. Smiley on the right was sold today.

Way cool

Burl pedestal in progress

It's already an organic artwork.From the Ultimate Artist!

Four of these works, including the finished burl pedestal above are made of Italian Cypress.

I wasn't aware when I did this that Italian Cypress is one of the most durable woods around! The doors of St. Peters Basilica in Rome were constructed of it and were still intact after 1100 years when they were replaced with Bronze.

Basically the tiki's you're looking at will hold not last for years, but for centuries!

How Cool!

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2012-03-23 21:55 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2012-03-23 21:59 ]

Rose wood water based stain. Epoxy resin finish to follow.

Back to Basics! A queen palm tiki. Will post as it progresses

This guy is approximately 10 inches tall. Little fella, little price

Hi Mike, I guess I don't come here often enough. I'm sure glad I stepped back a page and saw your tiki totem pole. That's enough to gain the respect of every carver in tiki land. That's an incredible piece of art. I keep going back to look again. The variety in tikis with each so well done just puts me in awe of your talents.

Next I'll check out your carving thread. I loved the story of the door. I'd love to see if they put the wooden one in the attic.

Seeing that pole made me day, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-05-26 07:27 ]

Thanks again Wendy!

nice little guy
for sale!

just improvising on a stick

Wow, even if that tiki stack were 2 feet tall it would be impressive, Wendy

It is actually less than 5 feet tall and as always, I'm glad you're impressed. I hope I get to meet you soon!
Mike

Nearly finished. Teak oil and a slight stain tinge. A lot of work this guy, but I like him!

At Don's and For Sale!

Still around! Not for sale, sorry!

Pages: 1 36 replies