Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Some British/European mugs

Pages: 1 7 replies

I thought some of you folks might be interested in some of the mugs/Tiki stuff from Europe:

Trader Woody

M

You know, one of my all-time favorite mugs is from the airport Sheraton in London. It has the best logo ever on the back:

"Where Heathrow really comes alive!"

Ha! Yeah, nothing sez good times like Heathrow Airport. Now with bonus tanks parked out front!

A

Nice, Woody. I like the rotund Rarotongan. That pic reminds me, I recently scanned the cover from that Kon Tiki board game for my website. Maybe some would like to have a gander:

-Randy

C

Mugs like the two in the upper right each went recently on eBay in the $60+ region as I recall.

Trader Woody~

Where is the light blue mug and the checkered bottom mug from? Are any of them stamped?

Sorry, I meant to provide a brief description, but something came up.

So....clockwise from top left - 1) An odd one this. I'm hoping it came from the Mayfair Beachcomber, but have yet to see their menu. 2)A couple of figures from the Victoria & Albert museum. Either of French or French-Pacific origin. 3) Difficult to see as it blends in with the dreadful carpet. I picked this up in a Parisian market, and prided myself on knocking down the price considerably. Carved from sandstone? 4) Yep, the Sheraton, Heathrow. Made by Daga, and used in the 80's, judging by the telephone number on the back. 5)Ah, the classic Butlins Beachcomber mug. 6) Two versions of the brutal Germanic Movenpick (sp?) mug. The darker one looks older, but is less detailed so I'm not too sure which is truly the older one. The lighter one appears to be the most common.

Bottom row from left to right - Spanish mugs.

The Blue one on the left is from the Mauna Loa in Madrid while the others all came from Barcelona. The Barcelona mugs are pretty much interchangeable - they are used in all 3 Barcelona bars. The exception is the one on the end - a massive ashtray from the Aloha Bar. (Also note ceramic Aloha necklace).

There are many more out there and a few of my own that I've not photographed, but hopefully this gives a minor insight into the Euro-Tiki world.

Trader Woody

Trader Woody wrote:
There are many more out there and a few of my own that I've not photographed, but hopefully this gives a minor insight into the Euro-Tiki world.

Thanks for the info TW!
Are there currently bars that serve in Euro-mugs and are given to you with your drink order, or are what's left in your area just mugs from closed bars?

Yeah, all the ones on the bottom row are still used in Spanish Tiki bars, where you should be able to buy them. (Apart from the Mauna Loa mug - I'm not too sure if they sell them or not)

Trader Woody

Pages: 1 7 replies