Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Terra Ceramics Tiki Glass 1960's? Anyone know what this is?

Pages: 1 5 replies

B

Hi! I introduced myself yesterday on the intro page. I won't waste anyone's time by repeating my spiel. Hi, I am obviously new to the board. My brother in law posts here and suggested I ask the experts of tiki central to help me figure out some information of my latest find. I did do some research and have not seen this Tiki mug/glass anywhere on the internet and little information of its maker. I do know that it was made my Terra Ceramics in Hawaii(you will see the pictures). The little information I found about them is:
Production years: circa 1965 - 1989
Terra Ceramics, Hawaii was active 1965-ish until around 1989-ish. It was run by Victoria Citron (she was 81 when she passed in 2003) out of a kiln in Kalihi. They often bid against Polynesian Pottery (Daga) , and Louie B. Ceramics for jobs. The company started doing flowerpots for hotels and eventually got the contract to make mugs for Duke Kahanamoku's on the Beach and the Hilton business. It's about 6 inches high and the opening is about 4 1/4 inches across and the lip of the mug is scalloped. I can make out that it is made by Terra Ceramics, and as best I can see I think the rest of it says "Island Holidays Resorts".
My brother in law told me it was of the "Ku" style of imagery. I am wondering if anyone knows anything else about this mug/glass. Any advice as to where I might find out about it or if anyone knows its name or more about it I would appreciate any advise I can get. And BTW, I have two, so the pictures of the bottom of the mug are two different bottoms but the rest of the pictures are just one mug. It's pretty cool, I hope someone knows something about it. Thanks for your help.

B

That is cool!

Aloha and E Komo Mai!

I love that mug and have seen it a few times on eBay before but always got outbid...
Here is a link to it on ooga-mooga..
http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=2978
Hopefully someone can chime in about Island Holidays Resorts possibly..

Aloha

Aloha,

On 2012-01-13 18:32, Beachbumz wrote:
Hopefully someone can chime in about Island Holidays Resorts possibly...

Well, Ok. I suppose that would be me, our man in Hawaii.

You've summed up the current knowledge of Terra Ceramics. I'm still waiting for Victoria's daughter to get back to me... She bought a couple of copies of Waikiki Tiki last year to send her family for Christmas. She was thrilled anyone remembered or cared about the company and mom's designs...

You can see the non-scalloped version of the mug in my book as well as many rare Terra Ceramics productions. My favorites are the Hawaiian Village ones... This mug is probably part of a giftshop contract for the chain... read on...

As far as "Island Holiday Resorts" goes, that was under the umbrella of the Amfac Corporation. They operated the following 12 hotels during the early 1970's-1980s, when the mug is circa...

Kauai - Coco Palms, Kauai Beachboy Hotel, Waiohai Hotel and the Poipu Beach Hotel.
Maui - Royal Lahina Resort (including the first outer island Don The Beachcombers restaurant,) and the Kannapali Beach Hotel
Hawaii - Keauhou Beach Hotel and the Hotel King Kamehameha
Oahu - Waikiki Beachcomber (including the last Don the Beachcomber restaurant in the islands,) Holiday Isle Hotel and the Waikiki Malia Hotel.

They worked closly with Donn as their advisor, so naturally there was plenty of tiki installed at most of these hotels during the 1970's and 1980's...

AMFAC actually has an intersting history, starting in 1849 as a dry goods store in Honolulu. Seized during WWI and then sold in 1918 to by the US government to a consortium of businessmen, they were big into sugar. They ran Liberty House and 40 or so other companies before bankruptcy, due to the decline of sugar prices, around 1989.

Thanks for da schooling Phil, I was curious about this as well..
Would like to add one to the collection someday..:)

Aloha

[ Edited by: Beachbumz 2012-01-21 14:08 ]

HOK

A soap dish sized piece from the Kahala Hilton...

Pages: 1 5 replies