Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Artilleryman's Rum Punch

Pages: 1 6 replies

Not technically Tiki, but contains Tiki ingredients. Judge it how you will:

The scene was Okinawa, Japan. A young Private First Class Dynamo sat among his comrades in arms, raised a toast in honor of Saint Barbara, Patroness of Artillerymen, and threw back a shot of Rum Punch. I don't remember much else from that night cough years ago, save the horrific nausea the morning afterwards, but I DO remember the taste of that rum punch. Here is my best attempt to recreate it.

Artilleryman's Rum Punch

2oz Medium bodied Jamaican Rum (I used Appleton Estate)
1oz Orange Juice
1oz Passion Fruit Juice
1/2oz Maple Syrup Mix (1:1 Maple Syrup to Water)

Combine ingredients in shaker with ice. Shake for almost a minute and stain into a chilled old-fashioned glass. Sprinkle with a little gunpowder if available, then:

"Take courage then seize the fortune that awaits you, repair to the Marine rendezvous, where in a flowing bowl of punch, and three times three, you shall drink, long live the United States and success to the Marines."

EDIT: The recipe as given in the drill manual (though I sure didn't taste any lime that night):

'To make the traditional 1775 Rum Punch; mix 4 parts dark rum, 2 parts
lime juice, 1 part maple syrup, and add a small amount of grenadine to taste. Ice
generously. '

[ Edited by: kid_dynamo 2012-01-14 06:20 ]

Thanks for the drink, I'll be sure to make one soon. When were you in the Marines?

[ Edited by: Wayfarer 2012-01-13 23:51 ]

I was in from '07 to '11. I found the recipe given for the Rum Punch in the drill manual, but that is definitively not what I had that night, I will add it to the opening post above.

Thanks for the recipe! I am an old Army Artilleryman. (Missile Brigade, not a gun bunny.) I will try this one at my tiki bar.

A cocktail named 'Chatham Artillery Punch' is currently on the cocktail menu called 'America Eats' in downtown D.C. I had one this past Sunday - it was quite good, although I did not get what the ingredients were.

The menu gives this description for the cocktail ..... "Admiral Schley survived the Spanish-American War, unharmed by Admiral Cervera’s Spanish shells, but was knocked out for two days after trying this punch during his visit to Savannah in 1899."

'America Eats' is an interesting place - their entire food menu goes back into history, resurrecting recipes from old recipe books.

The entire cocktail menu can be seen here - scroll down for more cocktails
http://www.americaeatstavern.com/images/content_images/AEmenu_bev_111220.pdf

The dinner menu is also a joy to read
http://www.americaeatstavern.com/images/content_images/AEmenu_upD_120111.pdf

Made one the other day, like the flavor, it's very interesting.

According to legend, The Chatham Artillery was one of the many pre-civil war militia units this one based in Savannah, Ga. In the day, the gathering of the militia was more of a social event than anything military although by decree they did have to drill. The links in previous posts will give you several nearly identical versions . One I read stated that the recipe was toned down a bit after what we in the South call " The Recent Unpleasantness " because the progeny of those early cannoneers were not manly enough to drink it!

Gotta love the booze cruise that is American history!

Pages: 1 6 replies