Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Monsters/Tiki Post Cards from Hawaii

Pages: 1 9 replies

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!

Poly-Pop culture art! Something U can afford!! If u desire Classic Monsters in a Tiki -fied Hawaiiana setting - check out these Hawaiian post cards!
If U want them, but do not have any plans to be in Hawaii to buy them yourselfs...

send me a $5.00 via pay pal with a note saying u want all 4 post cards, and your mailing address, - send it to my pay pal registered e-mail [email protected], and I will send you...

ALL FOUR MONSTERS POSTCARDS,!!!

...with a snarky comment and or an INV!TATION to my next art show,

...PLUS an autograph on the back of each- direct 2 U from Hawaii with ALOHA!!!

Big Mahalo plenty and Aloha
Brad (tiki shark) Parker~

[ Edited by: tiki shark art 2013-04-12 16:47 ]

Cool!!!
PP sent!!
Thanks Steve

Mahalo Nui Loa!

Aloha
BP~

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!

Monsters! Tiki-culture! Hawaiiana! Love these things, but can't lay out the cash for swanky art prints?

Not on vacation in Hawaii so you can't pick post cards up at a local tourist trinket shop? Well fear not....

A mere $5 to my pay pal registered e-mail [email protected] gets you a set of all four fabulous freaky creature POST CARDS!
the back is scrawled with an invitation to my next art show in July, and my autograph (whoo-hoo!)

Dats right, I said ONLY $5, plus a note asking for the four post car deal, and your mailing address, this gets you the pop-culture postcards mailed from the Big Island of Hawaii sent with ALOHA! What better deal can you get than that? Don't wait to be the last Tiki tribe member to get yours - supplies are limited. and who knows? I may never get a post card publishing company wacky enough to print up another run of these spectacularly bizarre Post Cards!

Big ALOHA
Brad (tiki Shark) Parker

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2013-04-12 16:48 ]

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!

Yummy Yummy tiki-fied Monster Post Cards From Hawaii!
Frankenstein! Dracula! The Were-Wolf of Waikiki! And The Kreature From Kona!

And did I mention that "The Kreatue From Kona" won entry into SPECTRUM 19 The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art?!

(page 270 in the big SPECTRUM 19 book!)

"OhmygawdhowdoIgetthesecoolthings"
Simple.
Send a mere $5 to my pay pal registered e-mail [email protected] along with your mailing address (and when you are home alone) an dats gonna' gets you a set of all four-fabulous-freaky-creature POST CARDS!
The back is scrawled with an invitation to my next art show in July at the world famous "La Luz De Jesus Gallery, and my autograph (whoo-hoo!)

ALOHA!

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2013-04-12 22:57 ]

Thank you Brad!!!!

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
"Happy Aloha Friday!"

April 12th, 2013. Today's report on Pop-Culture/Monster Kitsch in Hawaii:

Well, my experiment in pop-culture kitsch is still going strong 2 years later.
The idea was to make Hawaiian post cards that I always wanted.
And I wanted the classic movie monsters mixed in with Hawaiiana, and Tiki-culture, as post cards.
Would these strange things be excepted into the somewhat conservative and tightly controlled tourist trade here in Hawaii?
I really wasn't sure.
There was nothing like it out there.

Seems... now more than a year later, the answer is "YES".
Tourists coming to Hawaii "GET IT"!
But it wasn't easy...
It took a few years. The production company which makes them sat on the finished art for about a year, and I thought they had lost their nerve, but they told me they were just waiting for Halloween. And they brought them out. Mega-extreme-kitsch!

"The Creature From Kona"
"Dracula Drinks a Mai Tai"
"The Were-Wolf of Waikiki"
&
"Frankenstein goes to Hawaii"

What is this Kitsch you ask? It's an art form. Wikipedia sez:
Kitsch ( loanword from German) is a style of mass-produced art or design using cultural icons.
The term is generally reserved for unsubstantial or gaudy works, or works that are calculated to have popular appeal.[1]
The concept of kitsch is applied to artwork that was a response to the 19th century art with aesthetics that convey exaggerated sentimentality and melodrama, hence, kitsch art is closely associated with sentimental art.
As an example we can look at this:

"The Widow", kitsch example of late 19th century popular lithograph of a humorous painting by Frederick Dielman.

Well, If that doesn't describe the "Monsters in Hawaii" to a "T" I don't know what does!

At first the post cards showed up in small shops run by "hip" folks.

Then, they crept into the mainstream stores like the "Tourist Hawaiian Gift Section" at TARGET.
Excellent, I thought, but would they last beyond Halloween?

Yes, they've been out there ever since, at least here in Kailua-Kona .The Big Island is a bit of a wild place- were folks go to escape the mainstream, so, we may not be the bench mark. Has anyone seen them on Maui or Oahu? I'd be interested in finding out. I'll have to ask my production company I guess. But, now I've seen them in the "Hawaiian Gift Section" in K-Mart, too!
They are spreading!

Now, that they have been in the market, I can actually judge which Movie Monster is most popular by how many of each post card you'd find in the stores.

It seems the stores run out of "Frankenstein" first. Although, at first...

the" Were-Wolf of Waikiki" seemed the most popular.

When I get the chance I ask small kids if they know who the monsters are. Kids know "Dracula" (or Vampires), and Wolf-Man (thank you Twilight). They think Frankenstein is a "Zombie"... interesting. In a way he is, I guess. But, sadly, kids today do not know the Creature. Guess we need a re-make of that movie. Their parents know, and that's usually who I spy buying these things.

Anyhow, the great experiment in Monster/tiki kitsch goes on! I don't know for how long. It may stop any day now, or it may go on long after I have gone. Right now, it just makes me feel good that people coming back from their vacations in Hawaii have these Monsters on refrigerators all over the world. That's my mark on Pop-Culture!

If you'd like to be in the great experiment, and get a set of all four "Monsters in Hawaii" post cards, autographed by me, ands mailed to you: send me your mailing address and $5 to my pay pal e-mail account. [email protected]
ALOHA!
B~

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2013-04-12 22:58 ]

I will be on O'ahu Sept 8 and would love a set of those cool cards. Anyone know if they are available in Waikiki? If not can I still send in $5. Excellent Art and really creative.

PP

OMG the Creature is my all time Fav!!!! how do kids not know!!?? maybe if they put him in a Hockey mask they would recognize him!! do you know where I can get a big poster of that Post Card?? love it!!!!!

paul

On 2013-09-09 08:05, Pele Paul wrote:
OMG the Creature is my all time Fave!!!! how do kids not know!!?? maybe if they put him in a Hockey mask they would recognize him!! do you know where I can get a big poster of that Post Card?? love it!!!!!

paul

But Of Course!

http://www.Mahalotiki.com (for the mainland & cheaper shipping), or [email protected] (if you are in Hawaii) ...or direct from my Tiki-Shark Art Studio at [email protected].

Now, an important thing to know is that post cards are printed very cheaply.
If framed and hung, any sunlight will fade them to mere blue ghosts of there formal selves in a month or so... very sad!

Just like a real vampire, Sunlight will harm your post cards!

However, if you want a high quality - MUSEUM quality art print. Made with Fade resistant archival inks, I have those too! I have one that's been hanging up in a sunny room for 8 years and it's bright colors are as vivid as the 1str day! Beautiful!

You can get a 16" x 20" giclee on heavy paper like this:

Or you can get each monster on their own 16" x 20" giclee on heavy paper -

You can even go one step further and get it on canvas and gallery wrapped! (ultra swanky!) What's Gallery Wrapped?

They look great as giclee's on canvas...

...or maybe you are more hard core, and less Cocktail party... howz 'bout the Monsters on Skate Decks?

They look very Kool mounted on da' wall...

(in a Home Tiki Bar, or, one of my favorite places I know the whole set is hanging is in a 7 year old kid's bed room! That little kid's name is "Thor" and he has the coolest Dad in the world! Wish I had a Dad that cool when I was 7..."sigh!" )

We have a wide selection of the Monsters - Just ask, it makes me feel like I am on the righteous path of the Low-Brow Artist when I get to sell "The Monsters!"

Where can I get them again?
http://www.Mahalotiki.com (for the mainland & cheaper shipping), or [email protected] (if you are in Hawaii) ...or direct from my Tiki-Shark Art Studio at [email protected].

ALOHA!

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2013-09-09 17:20 ]

Pages: 1 9 replies