Name:Bombo
Type:bar
Street:3240 Lakeshore
City:Oakland
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:TE-9805

Description:
Don't know much about this bar except the matchbook cover which describes a tropical bar with what looks like a signature drink called the Bombo and it's "carefree" effects.

A later matchbook

(from eBay)

[ Edited by: tattoo 2012-01-27 18:06 ]

Weird: Are the two glasses dancing? Are they vibrating in excitement? Is it a drunk's view after having emptied both? Or is it an earthquake...

And am I seeing things, or does the back one have a snake's head (a la a Cobra's fang mug) - or is it a dove?

And will we ever find the answers to these important questions? :D

Tattoo,

Nice matchbook. I've seen a few varieties of that one. I thought that the TEmplebar reference was just part of the old phone number system and not really the name of the bar.

Here is another version.

Earthquake!!!!!

DC

Gah! DC, I got all excited when I got to this page, thinking there was going to be this intense history about Bombo. Then I saw it was only a 3 day old thread, oh man. I really look forward to learning more about this place!

Looks like it's the phone, at least according to:
http://forums.cabling-design.com/telecom/Re-San-Francisco-and-Oakland-Exchange-Numbering-5135-.htm

"From 1960 or 1961, the list of exchange names and rate centers,
all of which are extant today unless indicated otherwise:
Main-Piedmont [need to get third digit]:

CRestview
GLencourt
HIghgate
OLympic
TEmplebar
TWinoaks
..."

It pops up a few other times (but the fact that there's now a Temple Bar makes it difficult to search) including a history of "How Japanese and Japanese-Americans Brought Soyfoods to the United States and Hawaii -- A History (1851-2011): Extensively Annotated Bibliography and Sourcebook" from the Soyinfo Center.
zzzzzzzzzzzzz

T

I've removed the Templebar as a name of the bar. It is somewhat ironic that the phone prefix for a bar would have bar in it. Enough confusion at least for me to think it might actually be the name of the place.

Pages: 1 5 replies