Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

(Ginger) Snap Liquor

Pages: 1 7 replies

Anyone try this yet? It got a small write up in the Nov/Dec issue of Imbibe. Seems like a natural in spicy tropicals, but I haven't had a chance to fool around with it yet. I just picked it up while in Dallas, as it is, of course, impossible to find in Canada!

Darn! Ginger is one of my favourite flavours.
I'd like to know how it is too!

I have a bottle of Purdy's Chocolates' ginger syrup I use in drinks every now and then.

I know Hiphipahula was mixing up some tiki cocktails with Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur.

S

Kahuna Kevin uses the Domaine De Canton in three drinks in his new book. I had some bartenders make the 'Doodle Bug' for me a few weeks ago and I, and they, loved it.

If you love ginger definitely try Drunkenstein's Bride from my second book. I also use pressed ginger juice for drinks in both volumes.

This is different from a ginger brandy or ginger liqueur like Canton or Giffard Ginger of the Indies (which I use). It's meant to capture the essence of ginger snap cookies. It's dark and viscous in the glass, has strong notes of ginger and molasses on the nose, and has a good spicy bite with ginger and allspice yet is surprisingly dry on the palate. It's actually not unlike allspice dram and would probably make an interesting substitution. Being that I just finished a six-day bender (AKA trade show) I haven't been overly eager to get behind the ol' bar, although I'm looking forward to experimenting with this stuff. Seems it's pretty new on the market. Here's a recipe that sounds good from a little booklet that comes hanging on the neck of the bottle:
Ginger Rye
1 oz Snap
1 oz rye
1/2 oz orange juice
1/2 oz honey
2-3 dashes Fee Bros. Whiskey Barrel Aged Bitters
Shake with cracked ice. Says to pour into a chilled highball glass, but I think a small rocks glass would be more appropriate.
Here's another one from Imbibe (Nov/Dec issue):
Snap Swizzle
3/4 oz aged rum
1 1/4 oz Snap
1/2 oz cinnamon syrup
10-12 fresh mint leaves
Muddle mint, mix liquids, strain into collins glass filled with crushed ice and swizzle.

If you love ginger definitely try Drunkenstein's Bride from my second book. I also use pressed ginger juice for drinks in both volumes.

Ok, fine, I'll try it already!

[ Edited by: Brandomoai 2012-01-25 13:19 ]

Pages: 1 7 replies