Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki lost/missing/stolen?? in Alameda

Pages: 1 15 replies

C

A few months back I bought a six foot tiki at Forbidden Island's parking lot sale, partly because it was a cool piece with a nice history [it was created during a live carving demonstration at FI], and partly because I was working my way through all the rums in the place Not on the Kill Devil list and the day of the sale I had a couple of 151s [note to self: overproof and shopping are not always compatible]. It is a coolaceous piece, however, and I didn't regret the purchase. What I do regret, though, is the fact that because I didn't have a way to get it home I left it in the back yard of FI, behind the Ku bar, and neglected it for several months. When my handyman and I finally went to pick it up it was gone. I don't know whether it was taken by someone who thought it was abandoned and available for the taking or by someone who knew that he was stealing it. I suspect that it was somewhere in between; the taker probably pretty much knew that it belonged to someone and was not available but anesthetized his conscience by convincing himself it was salvage. At any rate, it seems likely that someone who frequents FI ehough to know it was there and likes tiki enough to go to the effort of hauling it away probably has it displayed at his house where it is likely to be seen by tiki folks. It is about six feet tall and roughly carved from a very light colored wood. Its most distinguishing feature should be [if the weather didn't wear it away] the autograph of former bartender and master of cocktails Susan Eggett. I had intended to get the sigs of various of my favorite FI people. However, I approached it with my usual lack of proactive effort, and then a couple of the staff including the other master bartender and manager suddenly disappeared. And then of course so did my tiki. So if anyone happens to see a carving meeting the above descrition, it would be greatly appreciated if you could arrange with the possessor to return it to the rightful owner. Such appreciation would be expressed by a moderate cash reward and an immoderate liquid reward. Thank you.

MT

That sucks, Chiwito, sorry to hear that. Do you have any pics that you can post of the tiki? How long ago do you think it was snatched from behind the Kubar? I'll keep an eye out on Craigslist, and I'll ask around as well.

TM

First soccer tiki's tiki, then the frankie's sign, and now this.

I bet someone on this forum is doing this.

I wouldn't go that far, but it could be someone checking out the forum boards. With the amount of e-bay and such shoppers now, I would think more in that field. I see allot of things disappearing at the local ant. shops and it's not getting picked up by collectors. It's mainly resale shops who, according to one shop, Go up and down the state and pick up what they know will sell at online bid sites. Although with the Frankie's sign I would think it's in a dorm/house somewhere.

M

Sounds more like it was abandonded, and hopefully rescued.

hi Chiwito,

Have you talked to Michael about this? It may have migrated into one of their storage sheds...

C

On 2012-01-30 09:58, Aquatic Safarinaut wrote:
hi Chiwito,

Have you talked to Michael about this? It may have migrated into one of their storage sheds...

Michael helped me look around for it in case one of his people had moved it. I appreciate the suggestion, though.

C

Mai Tai, thank you much.

Has anyone questioned this guy?
He looks suspicious (trying to avoid detection).

Chiwito, hoping you find it soon!

WWJS

What Would Jab Steal ?

nothing of yer tiki collection,
but he might steal yer woman,
keep an eye on that guy on the dancefloor,
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

That guy above me is definately on the list. :D. But thats no good!! You probably paid a pretty penny for a 6ft tiki. I hope you find it or its returned to you.

maybe if you hadn't left it there so long and picked it up a day or 2 later, you would not be in this pickle.

I hope you find it, but it's hard to sympathize with your plight considering the irresponsibility of it all.

Ha ha ha, Tipsy, I can tell you really controlled yourself to sound polite!
I wonder how many folks have suppressed the urge to post a sarcastic reply here. :D

Now you are going to get pictures of said tiki in locals all over the globe with a
ransom note.

Good luck! Hope you find.

C

Tipsy M is obviously correct; I made that point to Michael a couple of times, because I don't want him to think that I hold this situation against FI or any of its wonderful people.
If Tikiskip is correct, that would be well worth the cost I paid for the tiki.

chiwito

On 2012-01-31 12:21, bigbrotiki wrote:
Ha ha ha, Tipsy, I can tell you really controlled yourself to sound polite!
I wonder how many folks have suppressed the urge to post a sarcastic reply here. :D

You were thinking of me, weren't you?........And you would be right :wink: :wink:

Pages: 1 15 replies