Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Looking to trade LH 151 old label for LH 80 old label.

Pages: 1 26 replies

If anyone is interested in a trade, please shoot me a PM.

Cheers!

Chris

151 a little too much for you Chris? :D

That's like trading Nitro for regular gas :P :P .......To bad High Times Liquor does not carry
the 80 or I would pick some up for you....

W

On 2012-01-31 20:42, MadDogMike wrote:
151 a little too much for you Chris? :D

I've searched for LH 80 for years with no success, I have an extra bottle of 151 I'd gladly trade. There are some recipes calling for the 80 that I've always wanted to try as well. I do love me some Zombies with 151!

On 2012-01-31 21:13, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
That's like trading Nitro for regular gas :P :P .......To bad High Times Liquor does not carry
the 80 or I would pick some up for you....

Thanks for that offer Chuck, I do appreciate the thought!

Cheers!

Chris

J

In the meantime, you COULD try those LH80-based recipes with El Dorado 12 (which, in the interests of full disclosure, I prefer to LH80).

Just a thought!

W

On 2012-02-02 02:06, jokeiii wrote:
In the meantime, you COULD try those LH80-based recipes with El Dorado 12 (which, in the interests of full disclosure, I prefer to LH80).

Just a thought!

I'll give that a try, thanks jokeiii.

Cheers!

The Rum expert at High Times actually recommended El Dorado in place of the Lemon Hart 80
said it was from the same Distiller, I believe also.

I've also used El Dorado 5 year in tiki drinks...

R
Rawim posted on Thu, Feb 2, 2012 8:32 AM

The last place I saw that was still stocking the Lemon Hart 80 was a few government stores in Oregon and the Kona Wine Club in Hawaii. Both I believed sold out of their remaining stocks late last year.

Although some say Lemon Hart 80 was unique (Mike Buhen being one) I have never had a bad drink substituting El Dorado 12 in a recipe that calls for LH 80.

W

Okay, so now I need to get some ED5 and restock my ED12 as it's nearly empty! :)

Thank you all for the suggestions, I do appreciate it.

Cheers!

[ Edited by: WestADad 2012-02-02 08:41 ]

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Feb 2, 2012 9:25 AM

Don't bother with the Eldo 5 year. Teh 12 year is much better and way cheap, at least here. It's abotu $20 a bottle for the 12 year.

W

I've got a bottle of ED8 due in tomorrow, I may give that a trial run as a LH80 substitute.

Cheers!

D
djmont posted on Fri, Feb 3, 2012 7:40 AM

I've got some LH 80-proof, if you're still interested.

Shoot me an email: [email protected]

David

W

Thanks David, email sent.

Cheers!

J

I've seen (here in Miami) ED5, ED12, ED15 and the pretty rare ED25 (25?)...but not ED8. I know that in the case of other rums, the pricier ones are not always the ideal for cocktails. (Beachbum recommends Barbancourt 5 over Barbancourt 8, for example.)

So I'm curious if ED8 is a more ACCURATE replacement (not better, mind you) for LH80.

Discuss.

Found a store, today (not a chain), with 11 bottles of original LH80 on the shelves. Asked, and it was all they had in stock - not expecting more. Said they'd give me the case discount, if I bought 'em all. I already have 2 cases of LH80, stashed, so I told them I'd think about it. They also had some new LH151, so I bought a bottle, my first of the "new" stuff. Original LH151 hasn't been available in the Dallas area for a looong time.

I've never seen LH 80 in Florida.

J

On 2012-02-04 12:42, thePorpoise wrote:
I've never seen LH 80 in Florida.

I've never seen LH anything in Florida.

I've been able to get both at a local store. They have to special order it, though. And their orders often mysteriously go from a case to one or two bottles. Online is still your best and most reliable bet here, unfortunately.

If yer substituting El Dorado for Lemon Hart 80.
I would suggest the 15 year.
LH80 is pretty dark thick stuff,
and the ElDarodo 12 does not compare to the consistency of LH 80
even the 25 is not quite the same, but at 85 to 90 bucks a bottle, that's a bit crazy to spend on mixing rums, 15 is around 30 bucks I believe.
If you can't find LH 80, do yerself a favor and splurge for the ElD 15.
you'll thank me later.

Jeff(btd)

W

On 2012-02-06 13:51, bigtikidude wrote:
If yer substituting El Dorado for Lemon Hart 80.
I would suggest the 15 year.
LH80 is pretty dark thick stuff,
and the ElDarodo 12 does not compare to the consistency of LH 80
even the 25 is not quite the same, but at 85 to 90 bucks a bottle, that's a bit crazy to spend on mixing rums, 15 is around 30 bucks I believe.
If you can't find LH 80, do yerself a favor and splurge for the ElD 15.
you'll thank me later.

Jeff(btd)

Good timing on the post there Jeff, 1:51 perfect!

Spec's Liquors in Texas seems to have a supply of LH80 . . .

But how do you make Zombies then? :)

[ Edited by: Tonga Tiki 2012-02-09 12:59 ]

I've never seen LH 80 anywhere, but I've used the LH 151 slightly diluted in its stead, and also used plenty of El Dorado 5 and even El Dorado 12 in the drinks calling for 80 proof demerara rum.

tried the ED 15 for the first time last night in a navy grog, and found the rum to be overwhelmed by the other components. the 15 reminds me much of Appleton Estate 12 y.o. Looks like the younger, brassier El Dorado works better for mixing than the 15, imo...

W

I want to thank hiltiki (Hilda) for trading with me, the LH80 is pretty darn good rum in my opinion.

Thanks again Hilda and enjoy your Zombies!

Cheers,
Chris

A

Lemon Hart recently tweeted that it's bring out "Lemon Hart Original" which I assume is the 80 proof. Don't know when or where it will be available:

https://twitter.com/#!/LemonHartRum/status/180347669263286272/photo/1

W

On 2012-03-23 09:05, arriano wrote:
Lemon Hart recently tweeted that it's bring out "Lemon Hart Original" which I assume is the 80 proof. Don't know when or where it will be available:

https://twitter.com/#!/LemonHartRum/status/180347669263286272/photo/1

hey thanks for that tip! I've seen that label at some European liquor store websites. Sure hope it comes to the United States.

Pages: 1 26 replies