Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

JOHN-O's Tiki Bus Trip to the Hong Kong Inn (+ Rincon Room) - 3/24/12, Pictures start on pg 6

Pages: 1 2 3 4 146 replies

J
JOHN-O posted on Thu, Feb 2, 2012 9:19 PM

When was the last time you took a field trip in a bus?  Grammar school?  Well let's relive those childhood memories but this time you won't need a note from your parents.

The Mai Kai in Fort Lauderdale touts its Polynesian revue dinner show as the last of its kind still in operation.  Well that's not exactly the case as we have one in our own California backyard...

The Hong Kong Inn in Ventura !! 

They have the authentic mid-century pedigree (since 1964) and serve  traditional (faux Chinese) Tiki food.  We're talking Moo Goo Gai Pan, Chop Suey, and Egg Foo Yong !!  They also rock the Tropical cocktails.. and in Tiki bowls no less.  Yes, many have warned me that the quality is not Mai Kai standards but think of it as the price of admission to what's essentially a free Poly-Pop show.

Here's the Tiki itinerary...

1. The pre-dinner cocktail hour and bus pick-up point will be at the Tonga Hut in North Hollywood.  This will give everyone a chance to get properly "fortified".

2. From there we'll ride a chartered Tiki bus and make the 60 mile journey to the Hong Kong Inn.

3. Once arriving, we'll have dinner and enjoy the fantastic Polynesian floor show.

4. Afterward, the bus will make a stop at BongoFury's amazing Rincon Room for a post-dinner nightcap. Thanks BongoFury !! :)

5. The bus will then safely return us back to our Tonga Hut starting point where the festivities can continue.  Or you can join me down the street for some 24-hour Mexican taco stand drunk food.

I'm still working out the final details but I estimate the roundtrip bus fare to be $25 and dinner averaging about $15 (not including cocktails).

You can't get more diverse than this for a single night of Tiki fun.

Mark it on your calendar !! 

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-03-30 09:20 ]

Hell, That's Tiki!!!!

I'm trying to be as delicate as possible on this but first let me say I LOVE THE HONG KONG INN and Tina's Ports of Paradise Polynesian Show is Excellent! I go about twice a year and always look forward to it. It will be a great field trip but please leave your Tiki Cocktail taste buds at the door, the drinks can be um… very.. oh you know.

I've gotten lucky with some drinks but they can be inconsistent and are worse than B a h o o k a overall. So maybe order a beer? However the drinks at the Rincon Room will more than make up for any mishaps at the HKI. Also be advised that the food at the HKI can also be on the level as the drinks but if I were going I would still order the drink I was happy with last time "The Chinese Itch" and some chicken fried rice and still enjoy myself 100%.

I'm only writing this because I do love this place and don't want to see a bunch of possibly business hurting negative reviews after the field trip.

WooHooo! Sounds like a Fun Fieldtrip....We Can't Wait :) For those of you who have never been to The Hong Kong Inn you are in for a treat :)

The Hong Kong Inn, Ventura

Old School Ceramic Clam Shell Bowls

Mai Tai's too!

Tina's Ports of Paradise Dancers were Spectacular!!!

The Vainuku Ohana know how to spread the Spirit of Aloha!!

TH

John, Tonga Hut will supply food for you weary travelers when you return!

Yes. Awesome. Fantastic. I'm in!

I'll see if Sotally Tober is free to come along too.

Sounds like a blast, John-O - count the Wickedlys in!

HT

Please count my wife and I in on the crawl, sounds like another excellent John-o adventure. I am glad you got you license to drive the BUS. Thanks for the pictures of the Bar WooHoo. Was that Chris"s younger brother in the picture.

HT

John-O, Will the bus be vintage?

Saweeeeeeeet! I'd like to reserve a spot on this Mr. Toad's wild ride:D

Saweeeeeeeet! I'd like to reserve a spot on this Mr. Toad's wild ride:D

This doesn't even sound like a choice. It sounds like a "must do".

Kevin

T

The Pi-Yi at the Hong Kong Inn is served in a frozen pineapple and is quite delicious Hong Kong Inn is a cool place.

Great idea for this John-O !

Sounds like a good'n, I'm in...

John-O! Another great tour! I love both these places, and I especially love the Bongofury'! If I'm in town, I'll be there, but right now I may be off in the land of aloha that week... which isn't a bad alternative, but, you know... I miss you guys. Sigh.

This sounds soo fun!! Please count me in!

J
JOHN-O posted on Thu, Feb 9, 2012 6:47 PM

This is still 6 weeks away but I already have half the bus filled. If you're planning on attending please let me know so I can hold a space for you. Depending on the numbers, I may either downsize or upgrade the size of the bus. The cost will be $25 per person for the 120 mile round-trip ride.

Thank you.

You're really good at picking weekends when I'm already busy. I'll be there next time, maybe.

John-O,

Count me in for the Hong Kong Inn and Rincon Room. Should be another splendid John-O event. I will be driving down from Santa Barbara so no bus ride for me.

Hey Ron, what do you think about a little pre-party at the Rincon Room for the 805 locals to keep up with the bus?

DC

AF

I must attend!!! Ink it!

I am so undone about not being able to attend. I know this will be one literally for the road...

After a chat with John O, Ron(bongofury) and Mickey last night, Ray and I are in! This will be exciting!!!

Min!

J

In an ironic twist of Tiki fate, I've learned that the restaurant is owned by the uncles of my good friend of 20 years. She and her family will be attending to ensure Uncle Jimmy and Uncle Tommy give us the VIP Tiki treatment. :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-02-28 19:11 ]

Ya twisted my Arm John O,
I'm in.
Do I need to bring a Lasso to rope the stranglers in?

Jeff(btd)

KK

I am so excited for my first big tiki outing!

I have Tiki'ed my calander for the day.

J
JOBU posted on Wed, Feb 15, 2012 10:12 AM

This looks like a Blast!
So wanna be a part of this but Bobbie's Due Date is the following week!
I guess tentatively put us down to drive up on our own in case we need to make a quick getaway.

JOBU

I can't wait. That's a great roster you've put together, JOHN-O.

Stumbled upon this post a little to late to join in the bus fun, but that does not count us out. You may just see TikiTodd, TikiBoo and the Vamper driving along side you...

Looks like the bar will be full! If anyone driving up wants to stop here first let us know. If you are staying in Ventura we don't want you drunk driving the 20 miles back there. We will be serving a Drifter's Reef cocktail with a float if you dare. If you want something else.....bring it. We await your arrival......

Ron,
please say those lovely ladies will be at yer place that night.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2012-02-22 21:05 ]

J

On 2012-02-21 16:50, bigbrotiki wrote:
The Mai Kai is not as much about a "foodie" experience as it is about soaking in the atmosphere....

Getting plastered on some yummy rum concoctions helps, of course. But leave any "home-made Falernum" attitude at your home bar :). The tradition of this Polynesian pop haven is singular and unassailable.

OK, I want everyone to contemplate the Bigbro's Tiki words of wisdom above. Just replace the word "Mai Kai" with "Hong Kong Inn". And keep in mind Uncle Jimmy and Uncle Tommy are reading this thread. They've been keeping it real for almost half a century just for you. Don't piss them off !!!

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-02-28 19:12 ]

J

:tiki:

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-02-29 18:11 ]

B

What time do you anticipate taking off and returning?

J

Leave Tonga Hut at 7pm and then be back for last call.

that seems kinda late for leave time.
what time does dinner show start?

Jeff(btd)

Bongo,

Um, does Mickee know about that photo!? Me and Mrs. Dustycajun will be down for a pre-dinner stop at the Rincon Room if it's open.

The bus got bigger! At this rate, where gonna need a bigger Hong Kong Inn!

Jeff (btd), the show starts at 9:00. Google maps shows the travel time from the Tonga Hut to the Hong Kong Inn at 56.7 miles, 1 hour 5 minutes via US-101. Gives you and hour to drink, eat and be Mary.

DC

What if I don't want to be Mary?
why can't she just be herself?

Jeff(btd)

I will probably be driving up with Rockahulahoney. Thanks for organizing this great event John-O

I will probably be driving up with Rockahulahoney. Thanks for organizing this great event John-O

C

I'm going to be so bummed I have to miss this, as will the other Ding Dong Devils. We have a recording date set up for that weekend that's the only weekend available for months around it in Dave Klein's schedule (he's on the road with Agent Orange a lot these days). Sounds like everyone should have a blast, and I know (from previous experience) that John-O leaves no t's uncrossed or i's undotted in his planning of an event to maximize everyone's simultaneous blend of great times and historical enlightenment!

Caltiki

March is right around the corner.....WooHoo!

N

Add me to the list. As I live in Ventikitura County, I'm closer to the HKI than the Tonga Hut so I'll drive myself.

Hi John,
Sounds like a lot of fun. If you still have room for two more, could you put us on the list?
We're in Thousand Oaks, and we'll be driving up!

Glenn and Carol

BTD.....don't know which of the ladies will show up but this one will be behind the bar for sure (dressed for the Hong Kong Inn last year)...

Congawa......we think we have a solution. Bring the band and record "Live From The Rincon Room" otherwise we will miss you. At this point we wanted to keep the crowd around 50 so we need to cut off the people driving up and let John-O finish filling the bus. Everyone that has already posted is in. We also have a few friends coming. To make a proper Drifter's Reef it will cost us about $4.50 per cocktail (this is why most people don't do open home parties anymore.....even with guest bartenders. 100-150 guests and a couple of cocktails each in a shift will cost you a grand plus food). No cost to you but we may put out a tip jar for those able to help out.

Hong Kong Inn lamp.....wait till you see their mural....

The best cocktail....usually they run out of pineapples early so hopefully they will stock up.

John-O is correct on the food and drink. This is 1960s Chinese food and drink. I have been going there over 25 years and nothing has changed. Screw Yelp! Where else on the west coast can you see a free (except a small 20% surcharge on drinks during show) Polynesian floor show every Friday & Saturday night? An experience not to be missed!

For those driving we will open the bar at 5:00. Send me a PM for directions if you are not following the bus after the Hong Kong Inn.

Kia Orana!

J

:tiki:

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-03-20 09:58 ]

TIP YOUR HOSTS! John-O have some Egg Foo Young & Paper Wrapped Chicken for me!

Did I say "TIP YOUR HOSTS"! Drive safely too.
Now I give you my blessing........You may begin your Tiki Roadtrip,Very soon,But not yet........

John-O, Who's your Plus One! you can tell me?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 146 replies