Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Ceramics by J. Velour (part 2)

Pages: 1 15 replies

For newer members here is part 1.

As you know, the part 1 ceramics were just experiments. Now, for your viewing pleasure . . .

A small bowl, the pattern is carved and then stained. some of you saw this at my BBQ.

Skull Bowl. It has the same red glaze dripping as the BloodBowl. Unfortunately the bowl warped a bit.

Skull Bowl and the Pocket-sized Skull Bowl.

Now my favorite. This is a black clay with a glossy black glaze. The carved, band area is unglazed and shows the clay. It reminds me of a bowl made from lava like Coco Joe's. This looks much better in person.

and coming soon . . .
This will be the black clay

This will be carved in the style of the small bowl at the top of this list.

Also, I am working on a volcano bowl. I hope that I can get it done before the August partys to show.

Thanks-
Johnnie V.

[ Edited by: johnnievelour on 2003-06-13 02:41 ]

[ Edited by: johnnievelour on 2003-06-13 02:49 ]

Johnnie, those are incredible!!! I love the teensy weensy Skull Bowl...

Are you going to do mugs too? (dumb question, I suppose...:wink: )

--tikivixen

T

Love the warped skull bowl. I think the warpness adds to the uniqueness of the design.

C

I like the skull bowls too. Voodoo or Dia de Los Muertos meets Tiki.

Johnnie,

How's that new carved bowl coming along?

That blood/skull bowl is zazz!

Senor Velour,

You got skills!!!

I have been woodworking for a long time and ceramics have always intested me but where do you get them fired? I am assuming that you have access to a wheel to spin those bowls.

Very very nice.

Monkeyman

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Oct 15, 2003 1:38 AM

johnnievelour

I would like to get one of them bowls when eva you start to sell them ok. you've herd it befor and you'll here it again..Sweeeeeet!

i am bumping this up, jvelour, any updates.
would like to get a group of ceramicists and slip artists together. also anyone interested in making something. pm me if you would want to put something together.
i really dig your peices, will you have any up for sale or trade soon?

Cool stuff, I love the thick dripping glaze on the skull bowl. I also like the negative space texture in the first one.

S

Nice bowls man! My stepfather is really into ceramics and is making some killer pots and bowls, maybe this thread will help him to throw in a little polynesian/tiki flair.

T

I am glad someone bumped this up as I was thinking about this the other day especially the skull bowl.

Wow, thanks for bumping this thread up for us newbies. I had missed it throughout my archive searching.
Your bowls are incredible - I especially love the designs on that top on. Brilliant stuff.

B

MAn if I keep seeing stuff like this I'm gonna have to get a job and start collecting some for myself.

C

JV, I've been thinking about these too. I'm stil interested if you ever make any for sale.

Thanks everyone. I haven't posted any of new bowls because they are all the same style. However, I have been working on new designs and styles like a lamp base. I will post pics of them as soon as they're done.

K

Nice bowls Johnnie, I like the top one. Lots of detail.

Pages: 1 15 replies