Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist 2-8-12

Pages: 1 0 replies

DZ

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: February 8, 2012

On this week’s show we explored erotical and entropical envelopments inspired by Saint Valentine’s Day. Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm EDT at: http://www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived. Some fans choose to record it on their computers to listen to later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Chickadee” by Chick Daniels from the 1963 recording: Duke Kahanamoku Presents A Beachboy Party With Waltah Clarke, recorded live on the beach on Waikiki.

2. “Hi' ilawe” by Philip “Gabby” Pahinui on slack key guitar with Joe Diamond on Bass & Ralph Alapai on Ukulele, from the collection: Vintage Hawaiian Treasures, Volume 7 – The History of Slack Key Guitar. The song is about a love affair at the Hi’ilawe waterfall in the Waipi’o Valley on the Big Island that caused gossip. This 1946 version of that song is thought to be perhaps the first recording ever made of slack key guitar.

3. “Hawaiian War Chant” by the Quebec ensemble Le Mai Tai Orchestra, under direction of Sir Christopher McLaren, from their CD: I Found My Wahine. Prince Leleiohoku composed original song in the 1860s as Kaua I Ka Huahua`i ("We Two in the Spray"), referring to two lovers meeting secretly. The 1936 version was composed by Johnny Noble with lyrics by Ralph Freed.

4. “Aloha Nui Ku'uipo (Farewell My Beloved Sweetheart)” by Alvin “Barney” Issacs Jr. on Lap Steel Guitar and George Kuo on Slack Key Guitar from their CD: Hawaiian Touch.

5. “Pahinui Aloha” by HAPA from their CD: In The Name of Love, featuring Martin Pahinui on Bass, Clyde Kaimana on Tahitian Banjo and Lawrence Lieberman on Drums & Percussion.

6. “True Love,” the Cole Porter from the 1956 movie: High Society performed by The Puppini Sisters on their CD: Hollywood.

7. “Let's Call the Whole Thing Off “ by Fred Astaire from his collection: The Great American Songbook, composed by George & Ira Gershwin for the 1937 Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers movie: Shall We Dance.

8. “Desert Love” from the recording: Exotica: The Sensuous Sounds of the Sonny Lester Orchestra, featuring Al Caiola on Electric Guitar.

9. “L’amore In Citta’/Love in the City,” taken from Tutto Fellini, a collection of soundtrack music from Federico Fellini movies, this one composed by Mario Nascimbene for a 1953 anthology film by four different directors.

10. “Aba Daba Honeymoon” by Debbie Reynolds, Carleton Carpenter & MGM Studio Chorus from the 1950 movie: Two Weeks With Love, taken from the anthology: Somewhere Over the Rainbow: The Golden Age of Hollywood Musicals.

11. “Love Is Just Around the Corner” the 1960 recording by Leo Addeo & His Orchestra, from the collection: The History of Space Age Pop, Vol. 3: The Stereo Action Dimension.

12. “I’m in Love for the Very First Time” by Diana Dors from her 1960 LP: Swingin Dors.

13. “Caribbean Love Song (Foreign Exchange)” by the New Leviathan Oriental Fox-Trot Orchestra from their CD; The Nina, The Pinta and the S.S. Leviathon.

14. “There's No Business Like That Certain Business” the 1953 song by Sophie Tucker from the coital compilation: Sexcapades – Songs of Love, Lust and Depravity.

15. “Two Sleepy People,” the Hoagy Carmichael & Frank Loesser song performed by Bob Hope and Shirley Ross with Shep Fields & His Orchestra in the 1939 Movie: Thanks for the Memory, taken from the collection: Bing Crosby & Bob Hope – Two of a Kind.

16. “My Funny Valentine,” the Rodgers & Hart song from their 1937 Broadway musical: Babes in Arms, performed by Bill Evans on Piano and Jim Hall on Guitar from their 1962 duet album: Undercurrent.

[ Edited by: Dr. Zarkov 2012-02-08 15:51 ]

[ Edited by: Dr. Zarkov 2012-02-08 15:51 ]

Pages: 1 0 replies