Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

new source for guava, mango and papaya juice

Pages: 1 13 replies

I have found a new source for guava, mango or papaya juice. Although there are several brands of guava rum or mango rum sometimes I only want to use a small quantity and mix them with silver or gold rum. I went to my local grocery store and picked up a few cans of Kern's Guava Nectar, Kern's Mango Nectar and Jumex Papaya-Pineapple Nectar. Try them and tell me what you think.

If you want to get more natural flavor than can be provided by any of the "nectars" then you should try the various frozen pulps by Goya. The pulps are ... pulpy, so unless you like the extra fiber (which I do), you might want to strain them after thawing. Nectars have so much other crap in them they taste like preservatives with a hint of fruit.

I use the frozen Passion Fruit pulp to make my own passion fruit syrup but I don't strain it - the tiny bits in the syrup adds an air of 'freshness' to whatever drink I'm making with it. I also make it with ready-prepared natural sugar syrup (cold) and mix them together in equal proportions and add a splash of Wray & Nephew overproof (to retard the nasties), bottle it and store in the fridge along with my honey mix, cinnamon sugar syrup, all-natural simple syrup, pommegranate syrup and orgeat.

J

If you have access to them, the La Fe brand of frozen pulp is even better than Goya.

MM

I agree 100%. Unfortunately, La Fe's frozen passion fruit pulp was pulled from the stores in my area last year. Strangely, La Fe's other frozen fruit pulps (guava, papaya, etc.) are still available. I think there was a salmonella scare/recall involving frozen passion fruit around the same time the La Fe brand was pulled here, which would explain that.

I try to stick with juices made without corn. :lol:

what's the recipe you all use for passionfruit syrup using the frozen pulp?

MM

Thaw, strain if you like, and mix resulting liquid with an equal measure of 1:1 simple syrup. Easy peasy.

thanks. will try out tonite.

very tasty.

i messed up though with the blender and got too much air whipped into it though, making more of a passionfruit foam than a syrup. hopefully some time in the fridge will settle it down.

MM

Yeah, no need to use a blender. Just combine defrosted pulp and simple in a container and shake. Over time, the syrup will separate, but another quick shake will mix it again.

thanks, i was too impatient to thaw so had to blend. next time though...

H

I put my frozen passion fruit pulp in the microwave oven and thaw it quickly for a few seconds and then mix it with sugar syrup.

I found Ceres brand tropical fruit juice blends (imported from South Africa) in my local Publix yesterday, and I took some photos for those who may not have seen this product. In addition to Mango, Passion Fruit, and Papaya, they have a few other juices, and from the one carton I opened and taste-tested, the quality is quite good. I haven't tested these with cocktails yet.

I bought a few to take home and test. Yes, they are juice BLENDS, but only because they use pear juice instead of sugar syrup as a diluent. Without a diluent, the juice would not be liquid enough to be sold as a "juice." Their choice of using pear juice (my wild guess here) is because it acts as both a sweetener and it's not considered unhealthy in the same manner that sugar syrup or high fructose corn syrup would be. From their web site, they have a huge number of North American distributors -- grocers and liquor stores. Take a look at this:

Link to the Ceres web page showing the many stores where you can buy their products:
http://www.ceresjuices.com/where-to-buy/

Link to the Amazon page where you can buy their products:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=ceres%20juices

Photo of a package side panel with the manufacturer/importer's information:

Actual image from their web site of places where you can buy their product:

Here are photos of the Mango, Passion Fruit, and Papaya juice cartons -- both front view, and ingredients. I hope this is helpful.

Edited to correct one out-of-sequence image...

[ Edited by: AceExplorer 2015-12-29 09:06 ]

Pages: 1 13 replies