Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

what brand of brandy do you use in your scorpion and other tiki drinks

Pages: 1 9 replies

What brand or type of brandy should I use in tiki drinks such Scorpion or Fog Cutter. I would like a few names of common brands that I might be able to find locally instead of rare brands.

I have a half full bottle of korbel brandy laying around since we made our last batch of brandied cherries, so I use that in my 'well' drinks, but if I'm feeling fancy I will put in some Courvoisier VS.

I'm more of a rye and rum man though, so I'm not the best person to ask about brandy.

W

I use Korbel VSOP, I like it and it works well in my Fog Cutters.

Cheers,
Chris

I just use Paul Masson VSOP, about $17/1.75L. IMO, the finer qualities of a high-end brandy are overwhelmed by the other ingredients in a Scorpion, anyway.

Korbel, Christian Brothers, E&J VSOP...if I'm making a scorpion I don't typically reach that high up on the shelf.

Kevin

Another vote for Paul Masson VSOP. It's a good value mixing brandy that punches above its weight. Don't use a good Cognac, its subtleties will be completely lost in a Scorpions Bowl.

[ Edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2012-02-11 13:52 ]

W

E&J VSOP, I'm not big into brandy and it gets the job done for mixing up Suffering Bastards and Fogcutters.

D

Raynal VSOP is an excellent choice -- good enough to drink on its own, but cheap enough to mix.

J

Martell VS. It also "punches above its weight" in other cocktails or sipped from a snifter. Ridiculous value, too. The Raynal suggestion is also a sound one, and Hennessy VS is also great.

J

Martell VS. It also "punches above its weight" in other cocktails or sipped from a snifter. Ridiculous value, too. The Raynal suggestion is also a sound one, and Hennessy VS is also great.

Pages: 1 9 replies