Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Any thoughts on these?

Pages: 1 10 replies

Aloha from Canada!
This is my first post on TC although I've been a fan and reader for many years.
I just purchased these pieces on Etsy.

Any ideas re: manufacturer/origin?
Mahalo!

[ Edited by: tikitabby 2014-07-26 15:02 ]

[ Edited by: tikitabby 2014-07-26 15:07 ]

U

I don't recognize them but I do like them.

I forgot to mention that they are listed as being made of wood and described as being 'very weathered'. Apparently the metal hooks on the back are rusty which leads me to believe they were hung outside.

[ Edited by: tikitabby 2014-07-26 15:02 ]

B

Very nice and quite rare. Made by Universal Statuary in Chicago in the early '70s. Not made of wood.

See Tiki Magazine vol. 2, No. 3 from Winter '06/'07 and vol. 3 No. 1 Spring '07 for the two-part story on Universal Statuary. Examples of your wall hangings are illustrated in both issues.

-Duke

Ours:

Aha! I'll have to have my honey look them up as I'm working out of town right now. We've subscribed to Tiki Magazine for many years so I know we must have those issues. Good memory!
Here's another question for you then. I picked up this next piece a couple of years ago. When I first saw it I thought it was made of wood, but on much closer inspection realized it wasn't. I know it's stamped as being made in Chicago but as I say I'm not at home right now so can't check what the company name is. A Maori-type tiki stylized in a way similar to the other Hawaiian-ish ones. Do you think this is from the same manufacturer?

This one's pretty large - almost three feet high I'd say.

Beethoven Maori?

B

Yes. That is also a Universal Statuary piece.... you lucky stiff!

We have a number of the Universal Statuary pieces, Tikis, Menehunes, the framed United maps, even the hard to find United light-box, but there are some pieces that have eluded us and that is one of them.

Great piece. Pure Polynesian pop fantasy.

-Duke

Here is that catalogue shot:

Ha! Never thought of the Beethoven thing before...
Thanks Duke - I thought it must be from the same place. It was one of those things you see and you just have to have it - total love at first sight.
But now that you've shown me the catalogue I want them all! Agggh! It never ends! Hahaha!

Here's a photo of the mask where it hangs now - above the stairs which lead into our tiki room. I've mounted it on burlap-covered plywood and wired it so it's illuminated from below and with flicker bulbs in the 'spears' above. The top and side edges are trimmed in barkcloth.

[ Edited by: tikitabby 2014-02-25 11:09 ]

Pages: 1 10 replies