Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

The Exotic Girl Thread

Pages: 1 2 57 replies

Go knock yourself out, kids:

K

[ Edited by: komohana 2012-02-17 04:31 ]

J

Cool, a thread where we can go safely off-roading and not worry if our content is "Tiki" enough. Thanks Bigbro !! :)

Back in the 1930's through early 1960's, the Middle East actually had romantic appeal, an exotic land portrayed in such fables like Aladdin, Ali Baba, and Arabian Nights. Those stories were eventually turned into movies.

One of my favorites exotic girls in that genre was Maria Montez who played various Middle Eastern characters.

And how about this particular genre of album cover art?

To me it's a kissing cousin to the Exotica and Hawaiian music album covers that we see so much on TC. Actually this stuff lasted well into the 1970's but here I've included only content that is strictly mid-century.

Well if we ever decide to start a pop cultural revival around Middle Eastern "Exotica", we can have our first event at this place in Costa Mesa...

We can call it "Oasis Oasis" and everyone can wear their fezzes in the appropriate cultural context. :)

Hope you don't stay at the Alibaba Motel, John-O, Its a real dive, unless you like the far side of seedy.

Book it and they will come.
I know the perfect surf band that will play middle eastern sounding tunes.

Jeff(btd)

On 2012-02-19 13:30, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
...unless you like the far side of seedy.

That's funny, John was just talking about that the other night! I've seen the AliBaba, right where the freeway ends.

"Ha, ha - I whooped ya', I whooped ya' all! You'll think twice before messin' with Percival C. McLeach!"

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-02-19 16:41 ]

On 2012-02-19 16:40, MadDogMike wrote:

On 2012-02-19 13:30, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
...unless you like the far side of seedy.

That's funny, John was just talking about that the other night! I've seen the AliBaba, right where the freeway ends.

"Ha, ha - I whooped ya', I whooped ya' all! You'll think twice before messin' with Percival C. McLeach!"

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-02-19 16:41 ]

I hear the Bedbugs refuse to stay there.....There is this rundown apartment right next door that is known for
it's many Meth "Enthusiast's"

I love the alibaba, I drive past it almost everyday on my way to work. Count me in for the revival lol.

T

Er, what's the difference between this and the Exotica Girl thread?? :-?

Ask Sven......

Er, what's the difference between this and the Exotica Girl thread??

I think one thread is supposed to be less pretentious than the other, but i'm not sure...

what i can tell, is that one thread is way behind the other in the number of pix of nekkid babes posted...

K

On 2012-02-19 19:18, TheBigT wrote:
Er, what's the difference between this and the Exotica Girl thread?? :-?

i'll have a stab in the dark at that...

the exotica girl thread was intended for girls that might embody or personify
the notion or ideal of "exotica" and as such should also have a connection to "Tiki",
this thread was probably thrown up out of frustration at the girls that were being posted
that did not even come close to those ideals.

i posted because i thought this thread might have found its way south fairly promptly.

thinking about it though, this could be a good spot for those girls that don't really fit
other threads, although it would be good if they also had some Tiki connection and probably
vintage or at least pre 1970.

here are a couple pics that don't really fit elsewhere, the girls could probably be thought
of as exotic and maybe of some interest they both seem to be shot in the same studio...

...and there are Tiki connections...

edited to attach a better version of one of the pictures.

[ Edited by: komohana 2012-02-19 22:03 ]

T

On 2012-02-19 20:02, thePorpoise wrote:

Er, what's the difference between this and the Exotica Girl thread??

I think one thread is supposed to be less pretentious than the other, but i'm not sure...
what i can tell, is that one thread is way behind the other in the number of pix of nekkid babes posted...

Good point. I think I favor the original thread. :D :D

On 2012-02-19 21:39, komohana wrote:

i'll have a stab in the dark at that...

the exotica girl thread was intended for girls that might embody or personify
the notion or ideal of "exotica" and as such should also have a connection to "Tiki",
this thread was probably thrown up out of frustration at the girls that were being posted
that did not even come close to those ideals.

No, not as originally defined:

On 2009-05-28 11:09, bigbrotiki wrote:
Spurred by the Black Velvet thread, I thought it would be a good thing to pay homage to the Exotica girl, a concept spawned but not limited to Martin Denny's record covers. The Exotica girl can be, but must not be, a Polynesian wahine. Or she can be of Asian descend, like Vladimir Tretchikoff's models. More often she is a mix of several exotic races, and can even have a dash of oriental heritage. But she is always dark haired, dark eyed, and slightly dark skinned. Her almond eyes are hypnotic, and her gypsy temperament makes her seem dangerous and seductive.

I think Sven is just fishing for a new set of pics. :P

J

OK, so we saw some Middle Eastern Exotic Girls. Let's move on to some spicy Latinas (or in some cases, faux Latinas).

Everyone's familiar with this iconic album cover...

That's model Dolores Erickson who's actually covered in shaving cream (real whipped cream would melt under the heat of the photo lamps). Would she qualify as an Exotica girl? Well after the last Tiki Oasis, I might guess Otto would say Yes. I think however the Bigbro would say No. Let's be conservative and call her an Exotic (without the "a") Girl.

With the great success of the Tijuana Brass, there were scores of TJB sound-alikes jumping on that bandwagon. All with their own Exotic album cover girls...

And here's the German version...

Some of these girls have that ambiguously ethnic look that would have made them good candidates to be Exotica (with the "a") Girls. :)

Wha . . . what happened? Am I having a stroke?

Tijuana Sauerkrauts! WTF! :lol: :lol: :lol:

S

On 2012-02-20 23:15, KokoKele wrote:
Wha . . . what happened? Am I having a stroke?

Possibly. Shouldn't this thread be in Bilge?

How about these exotic female movie characters?
Middle Eastern, Romanian Gypsy, Chinese, Powhatan, Indigenous North American (relocated to Never Never Land) and Pacific Islander.

After this post, this thread will probably be cast to the Bilge.

Sven started this thread, so it must be "Tiki" :P

I feel like I'm insane . . .

KokoKele, Then you must be insane......just don't drive that way :)

J

I don't think this is Bilge...

as compared to this...

"Exotica" as a genre was much more comprehensive than Tiki. I don't consider them the same thing.

Anyway this is the Exotic Girl thread not the Exotica Girl thread so what difference does it make anyway?

I started this thread more as a joke, a demonstrative gesture because it was being suggested that Exotica was the same than exotic. I was assuming that once people would read "The Exotica Girl" vs. "The Exotic Girl", it would become obvious that the former was denoting a very specific genre, while the later was as generic as can be, (and not really having any connection to Tiki).

Well at least it deflected more vague imagery from the Exotica Girl thread, providing a release for those who had the urgent need to post more exotic babeage and grasping for straws. And even though the musical genre of Exotica is not the SAME as Tiki Style, they are very closely entwined, as I proved in my "Sound of Tiki" CD. It is not a coincidence that "Quiet Village" peaked the charts at the same time Polynesian pop went Tiki and branched out into apartment buildings and Motels. It was the same Zeitgeist the fueled both. And the EXOTICA GIRL was symbol of it.

H

On 2012-02-21 12:23, KokoKele wrote:
I feel like I'm insane . . .

Don't worry KokoKele, most people that have been following the other thread (The Exotica Girl Thread ) know that this thread doesn't really belong here in the General forum. Sven created it to keep the non-exotica out of the other thread and he put it in General just to raise the visibility of it.

In a few days I'll move this thread to beyond.

edit, looks like I posted at the same time Sven was....

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2012-02-21 13:48 ]

Wish I could move things to the "Beyond"

Why does this "Mr. Zeitgeist" always get credit for stuff? is it because he's German. :wink:

[ Edited by: Chuck Tatum is Tiki 2012-02-21 13:55 ]

K

Maybe he's a member of the Tijuana Sauerkrauts.

K

Ahhhh..the Quiet Village Mobile home park...what a lovely place for those of us w/ moderate incomes to have retired to....:)

J

Two weeks ago...

JOHN-O: "Did you ever notice that the Bigbro has never had a thread he started relocated to Beyond or Bilge? I think the Moderators would be too intimidated to move it."

Chuck Tatum is Tiki: "Wanna make a bet? :)"

Tijuana Beatles?

When people started posting photos of space ladies in the Exoctica Woman thread, I put together a collection of outer space alien females from Star Trek. But I guess the Extraterrestriallettes don't belong in the Exotica Woman thread and I gotta do somethin' with my collection, so here it is.

[->>King Bushwich 33rd on Hulu.com

I have to say my favorite was Angelique Pettyjohn
from the episode "The Gamesters of Triskelion"
I bet 50,000 Quatloos......

TM

They should just call this the "massive boner thread".....because I feel a chubby coming on!!

I guess that's not a Phaser in your pocket, Lucas?

TM

Nah! I am just happy to see this thread!

J

Here's more extra-terrestrial content. This one has 3 degrees of separation from classic Exotica.

Yes, we all know that Martin Denny defined "Exotica" as a genre but where would that be if it wasn't for Les Baxter, who later released this seminal Space-age Pop album…

I often wonder if that album wasn't also notable for introducing the first photographic image of the Green Outer Space Girl.

Green girls are Exotic !!

In the 1960's we later saw them on "Star Trek"…

and on "Lost in Space"…

But I think one of the most exotic (and scariest) green girls was the vampiric "Queen of Blood" in the 1966 AIP flick of the same name…

You are right John-O that was a funky flick
a "Green Space Vampire" found on Mars, which also costars Dennis Hopper.

That was actress Florence Marly, by the way.

From the Film "Tokyo Joe"

J

And speaking of vampires, I know that Vampira gets a lot of credit with her Morticia Addams inspired look…

but many feel that Carroll Borland in 1935's "Mark of the Vampire" was actually cinema's first archetype of that classic Goth Girl look…

Vampiresses are Exotic !!

TM

That Les baxter is one of all time favorites. After all, If you are a spaceman landing on another planet...what's the first thing you do?

Cocktail party, of course!

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2012-02-24 17:16 ]

J

That Barry Sullivan, he hung out in outer space a lot. Here he is in Mario Bava's "Planet of the Vampires".

Check out the intergalactic black leather fetish wear !!

It's almost as cool as the Controllers from Planet X.

Outer Space Girls in black leather are Exotic !!

(Edited - I meant Barry SULLIVAN, not Nelson. But I guess he wasn't on Star Trek either :()

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-02-25 15:53 ]

John-O, the first pic (From OST episode "By Any Other Name" is actually
Warren Stevens & Barbara Bouchet, Not Barry Nelson.

God now I look like a Trekkie!

We are overdue for some more exotic women so...

Another type of exotic woman comes from the unlikely source of Biblical epic movies. A typical Bible story consists of battling sin and temptation and the makers of the Biblical epic movie want to make sure the viewer knows exactly what sin and temptation are and make a huge effort to show sinful behavior and temptation on the screen.

Solomon and Sheba is a 1959 Biblical epic film and featured Gina Lollobrigida as the Queen of Sheba. This casting decision may not have been too historically accurate but Ms. Lollobrigida can do a good job of being temptation.

Especially to Solomon played by Yul Brynner (with hair!). The film is probably most noted for an orgy scene (Choreographed by Orgy-Sequence Adviser" Granville Heathway) featuring Sheba (Lollobrigida) which was extremely licentious for Hollywood motion pictures of that era.

YouTube: SOLOMON & SHEBA - Dance sequence

Interesting musical score. Wonder what style that is considered?

And if someone wants to make a movie showing wicked and sinful behavior, there is a cornucopia of material in the story of Sodom and Gomorrah and someone did in 1962. In the footage below, The Queen of Sodom gets much pleasure watching the exotic dance of exotic woman Mitsuko Takara (as do most of the viewers of the movie).

YouTube: Sodom and Gomorrah Dance

Unfortunately, it looks like Mitsuko Takara was only in this one movie. There is not a whole lot of information about her out there and I do wish I could find more pictures of her (for research purposes of coarse).

YouTube: Sodom and Gomorrah Wickedness Highlights

YouTube: Example of typical male viewers reaction to seeing exotic woman thread

J
JOHN-O posted on Wed, Mar 7, 2012 6:28 PM

Great call King Bushwich !!

Biblical tales were always an excuse to provide risque content under the Teflon-proof umbrella of religion. Cecil B. DeMille got away with it in the early 1930's with his "Sign of the Cross" which included...

Visible nipples...

A bound and naked Christian girl about to be ravished by an ape...

As well as suggestive lesbian overtures...

Bible chicks are Exotic !!

And I never really understood why the Middle Eastern aesthetic didn't quite qualify as an Exotica girl.

If we take a look at it's first icon...

This certainly didn't fit the dark haired, dark skinned, Polynesian benchmark that was defined here. :-?

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-03-08 16:42 ]

TM

To me, all "exotica" and "exotic" and "Exotique" are completely and totally interchangeable. I find no difference nor distiction in any of it. If the definition of Tiki is something americanized, culturally incorrect, whimsical, and from the mid century.....then that applied to everything from Tiki to atomic age to sci-fi, to biblical epic films. Its all great in my mind!

And this thread may be one of the best ever!

Finest Kind!

J
JOHN-O posted on Fri, Mar 9, 2012 6:35 PM

Another genre of "Exotic" girl during the 1950's and 60's was the sexy Country/Hillbilly/White Trash girl. Clearly the archetype was defined in the comic strip "Lil' Abner" which featured such buxom Country beauties like Daisy Mae Yokum…

On television we saw Daisy Duke precursors like Mary Ann on "Gilligan's Island"…

And Elly May Clampett on the "Beverly Hillbillies"…

As well as the genre extended to outer space (again !!) in an episode of "Lost in Space"…

The movies gave us racier versions like Joy Harmon in the car washing scene from "Cool Hand Luke"…

Carroll Baker in "Baby Doll"…

Yvette Vickers in "Attack of the Giant Leeches"…

But I think Russ Meyer really perfected it in movies like "Lorna" and "Mudhoney" ...

with actress Lorna Maitland…

Country girls are "Exotic" !!!

So the Hee Haw girls are exotic?

Perhaps Misty Rowe

But NOT Kathy Lee Gifford

[->>King Bushwich 33rd on Hulu.com

J

On 2012-03-09 21:50, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
So the Hee Haw girls are exotic?

Arguably. :)

Even Sandy Warner adopted the look after Exotica ran out of steam. She really needed to undo her blouse a few buttons though.

And thanks Twitch for the screen caps.

Sandy Warner is Exotic !!

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-03-11 14:12 ]

Pages: 1 2 57 replies