Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Witco Repair Advice?

Pages: 1 4 replies

H
Hearn posted on Wed, Feb 22, 2012 4:16 PM

Mahalo!

After years of searching, i finally won a Witco Guitar on ebay this week...but alas...the Tiki Gods were not smiling...it showed up cracked in half.

Does anyone have any advice for proper glue to use to repair? I will most likely also need to add a plate at the back to reinforce.

Thanks!

Yellow capenters glue ,clamp it ,wipe the excess ooozze witha damp rag ,set it aside for 24 hours.
declamp ,sand the rough edges,stain with 'special walnut stain',oil,hang and enjoy.

"Pets are welcome,Children 'MUST' be on leash" TD

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2012-02-22 17:24 ]

Call the Witco Repair Man!

or do what David suggests as that is how you do wood repairs...

K

not necessarily, particularly if there is contamination in the area to be repaired,
for example; if the piece has been oiled by previous owners and oil has entered the
area.

when you offer the two parts up to each other, do they meet tightly?, if so, and the
area is absolutely clean then pva glue will probably be ok.

if the area has to be ground-out (to get down to clean wood) there are plenty of epoxy glues
availabe that will bridge any gaps created by grinding and you will probably only need a few "spots"
to join the piece back together, keeping the grinds well back from the edge so they won't be seen.

plates attached across the grain may not be the answer, as all timbers expand and contract as
moisture content in the air fluctuates, you may be better off using dowels if you think it needs reinforcing.

realising, of course, this isn't Woodworking Central but if the piece is widely considered
to be a part of Tiki aesthetic, then what the hey.

[ Edited by: komohana 2012-02-22 21:31 ]

H

Thanks for the advice y'all.

I just got back from the Hardware Store with some TITEBOND Liquid Hide Wood Glue and a few clamps (I made the mistake of using Gorilla Glue awhile back on something similar....utter disaster due to the expansion qualities of Gorilla Glue).

Fortunately the break is "clean" (pieces fit together like a puzzle) and there is a lot of surface area, so I am going to try just the glue first Hopefully I can avoid the plate and/or dowel situation.

I will let y'all know how it works out.

Mahalo!
Hearn

[ Edited by: Hearn 2012-02-23 10:34 ]

Pages: 1 4 replies