Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Thatch Tiki Bar (Portland OR) for sale?

Pages: 1 28 replies

RB

Somebody better move fast, it says the lease expires 3/2012!

Bummer,
I hope they keep it Tiki, whoever buys it.
glad I made it there once.

Jeff(btd)

Wished they showed more photos from inside the bar.

I have a few interior photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/heylownine/tags/thatchtikibar/

Great bar. We plan to return to Portland soon. I hope it's still there.

kevin

G

Well, if that really is Thatch that is up for sale, I'm sorry to see it because who knows what will happen after the sale. The "sunken bar" and "custom made" decor definitely point to Thatch. I do hope it continues as it is. It's a terrific neighborhood bar similar to Forbidden Island. We've been fortunate on the few visits we've made to it that the right mix of employees were there. One of the servers at Thatch, whose name I unfortunately do not recall, is responsible for the perfect music soundtrack we've heard on more than one occasion. It seems that if he's there, his iPod loaded with exotica/lounge/hapa haole is providing the music backdrop. If he's not there... you get what you get.

To be honest, the one thing I do hope new owners will change is the name. "Thatch" is a little uninspired.

Here's hoping it lives on though!

I wonder if the new Trader Vics opening has hurt business at Thatch?

Jeff(btd)

Heylownine, your photos of the interior are awesome. It's too bad R/E agents Liza and Darryn have decided to post some generic bar and drink images instead of photos like yours that really describe the decor, and appeal, of the place. The only problem is, I want to see more of them! :)

W

"To be honest, the one thing I do hope new owners will change is the name. "Thatch" is a little uninspired." -GatorRob-

Some background on the name Thatch: Opening Tiki bar in Portland, need name

On 2012-02-25 05:15, woofmutt wrote:

"To be honest, the one thing I do hope new owners will change is the name. "Thatch" is a little uninspired." -GatorRob-

Some background on the name Thatch: Opening Tiki bar in Portland, need name

On 2006-02-08 01:36, Robertiki wrote:
Yup, a name has been chosen. One night after getting off work, I stopped by a taco stand and had one too many tongue tacos with way too many onions, and I awoke in the middle of the night and the name came to me.

Robert

Well, at least he didn't call it "Rolaids".

G

Pour. Thatch. Eat. Burp. Fart. A little too minimalistic for my tastes.

But the space was designed well. I'll give him that. Except for the lamps all in a row. But that's another conversation...

Wow. I'm not all that hard to get ahold of to answer your questions.

My ex wife never intended to enter the restaurant and or bar biz. She is trying to cash out which she has the right to. If someone wants in half, be an owner operator while drawing a salary, call/text me at 503-267-2800. But do it quick, otherwise this really nice couple wants to turn it into a xxxxxx xxx

otherwise this really nice couple wants to turn it into a xxxxxx xxx

????

It won't be recognizable is all I'm saying. All I need is someone to buy out the ex's half. Be an owner operator, Draw a salary while living the dream. Otherwise, the other option is just shutting her down. Let me know.
robert

On 2012-02-26 21:32, RevBambooBen wrote:
otherwise this really nice couple wants to turn it into a Hamboo Hen

????

???

On 2012-02-26 19:31, Robertiki wrote:
this really nice couple wants to turn it into a xxxxxx xxx

Sports bar (as if there's a shortage of them)?

Oxygen bar (isn't THAT fad long since dead)?

Senior bar (last call is at 7:00 pm)?

Animal bar (what, our furry friends don't deserve a fun time out on the town)?

Bear

Things are happening quickly here. Will the tikis and lamps be sold if the new owners are changing the layout?

Okay. Here's everyone's dream opportunity. And a proven one to boot.

Gator Rob....

now is the time to step to the plate and make Thatch yours, then you can fix all the horrible stuff that's wrong, like all the lamps that are (god forbid) in a row.

The place needs an owner operator, not just an investor. Someone who is passionate about tiki culture, cocktails, and the importance of being nice.

Otherwise, it will become a XXXXXX XXX, and god knows, we don't need more of those.
Robertiki

G

Robert, I seem to have stepped on your toes in what I intended as simple honest, but not harsh, opinions. Nobody said anything was "horrible" about Thatch. Quite the contrary, I love Thatch! Just search my past TC posts about Thatch and you'll see some glowing reviews. I wish it was in my neighborhood. I'd be a regular. If anything can be said about those of us on TC, it's that we're an opinionated lot. But I think that's a good thing! Makes for interesting conversation! Besides, I'm not the only one who thought those great lamps would look better scattered about. :)

And my comment about the name was, again, just stating an opinion. My second post about the name (prompted by woofmutt's post)... well, maybe I went a little too far in an attempt at being witty. So if that was deemed over the line, my apologies.

I really do hope you find an owner who can carry on Thatch as it is. It would be a shame for Portland to lose such a terrific neighborhood Tiki bar.

EDIT: Oops, corrected spelling.

[ Edited by: GatorRob 2012-02-28 06:08 ]

All is well Gator Rob, I'm just funnin' with you.

Funny, nobody calls it Thatch, they simply call it "The Tiki Bar" followed by the question, "The one on Interstate (Alibi) or the one on Broadway?"

Hindsight says I should have researched if "The Tiki Bar" was available.

No one wants to see it shut down. Especially my friends who work and own Trader Vic's. I'm a regular at their bar, as well as several of their employees at mine. In fact, we even share an employee who works part time at both establishments.

My ex-wife, who was patient with the process of building and running the place wanted to get her investment out quite a while ago. She has every right, and I have been lackadaisical about taking care of this. The gauntlet has been thrown down, and I am now interviewing several people who are passionate as I am about the tiki culture, good drinks and of course, customer service.

I have a best friend in Tulsa. Everyday in his bar (and mine as well) someone offers their suggestion as to what "You oughta do." I like to take a higher road and cut people off with "An Oughta has a tail like a Beaver," which bewilders them, but maybe gets the gist across to keep your opinions to yourself. My Tulsa friend uses much less tact and hits them with, "what have you ever opened other than your mouth."

Many times I've thought of using that line, but always remembering its more important to be nice than it is to be right.

My point, hopefully someone with the right motivation will step up to be an owner/operator/partner which is what the place needs, and I can get back to my studies for the big exam in October.

Robertiki,

Hello.
What's the good word on your establishment? I'm curious to know the numbers behind the bar. Email me and let me know the asking price for your bar.
thanks,

• devolutionary

The numbers:
3...baby eater statues made out of iron wood. Thank god I will never in my life have to move them again.

8...the number of drinks I had on the closing night. when running low on rum, had the bartenders get creative with booze I've bought on trips, like kumquat liqueur from Greece.

2...assholes who tried to steal both a rum barrel and a volcano bowl who were caught by me and kicked out. I followed them to their brand new Mercedes convertible.

1...the most passionate man I've ever met on a single drink subject, Blair Reynolds who bought Thatch and is remaking it into his dream tiki bar, called Hale-Pele.

Those are the numbers, thank you and good night.
Robert

Robert,

How many Thatch tiki mugs were made? (Were any left at the end of Wednesday? If so did Blair get them or did you keep them?)

All gone.

Robert,

I made it to your bar several times and I don't even live close to Oregon. I hate to see it go. I liked the pu pu platter with the free mug and really enjoyed the Mai Tais made with fresh limes. Best of luck to you and thanks for one more tiki bar in this world!

I really appreciate the warm sentiments.

But, don't dispare too hard, it will still be a tiki bar.

Blair Renoylds (BG Renolds Tiki Syrups) bought it, and after a remodel and a much needed scrubbing, it will reopen as Hale Pele.

I'm sure he will make more announcements as his grand opening date nears.
Robert

My friends and I walked down to Thatch last night to grab a bowl or 2 and found out it was closed :( Luckily I was there a few months back and was able to pick up a Thatch mug just in the nick of time.

I will be in Portland July 1-8, 2012, for a convention and suspect that Hale Pele will not be open in time for me to visit. Tiki Teresa will be with me, both of us coming from Florida. We have Tiki Roadtrip 2nd edition (great book!) but would welcome any tiki recommendations (in private messages) from the fine folks in Portland who are on this thread or anyone else who would care to send some tiki luv... Mahalo in advance! I plan on walking past the location of the former Thatch to check on progress. I think it would be cool to, in some small way, "connect" with the new place ahead of when this thread lights up with news of the Hale Pele opening. Portland is fortunate to have a Vic's and Hale Pele coming.

Pages: 1 28 replies