Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Skipper Kent's Zombie

Pages: 1 17 replies

Aloha, I have found the original box filled with Skipper Kent's and Zombie Village recipes for all of their exotic tiki drinks! Crica 1949-1952.

Very cool, what's the story behind the cards?

Skipper Kent had two restaurants and bars in northern California. But before that he sailed the south pacific and collected many recipes for drinks and food to bring back to the states and open these Tiki Bars! One was called Skipper Kents and the other was The Zombie Village! He was married to Lucille and they moved to Kona in hopes of opening a Polynesian Culteral Center. Feel free to do a search here on Tiki Central for lots more fun and information about their lives! Happy Day, Mangogirl

Sweet! Thanks for sharing that Mangogirl! Is that a dash of Hawaiian Punch I see??
I think what MDM was asking is how you got the cards.

-Trad'r Bill

On 2012-02-26 14:10, Trad'r Bill wrote:
...I think what MDM was asking is how you got the cards.

Yes, did the cards belong to Frank Kent? Written in his hand? Used at his bars? Or were they someone else's effort to deconstruct Skipper Kent's drinks? Maybe an undercover espionage agent for some other tiki bar (that would be a sweet job!) How did you get them? Either way, they are definitely cool!

Aloha Ka Ko,
I came into these cards and other fun stuff because my Father bought Skipper Kent's house in Kona Hawaii from his 2nd wife Gladys. Skipper Kent and his first wife lucille were impeccable at keeping records and cataloging everything. These drink recipe cards are written by Skipper Kent or Lucille. Before Lucille died she was working on a cook book for cooking on the sea, from her sailboat. If you ever spent any time in a Galley you know how tedious that can be!
Did you do the search on Tiki Central about Skipper Kent, Lucille Kent and Hafe Hafner? Don Blanding is also fun to find out about! How did you get involved in Tiki? Here is another drink recipe!
Tootles,
Mangogirl

Now that's what I'm talking about! :D What a treasure! Do you plan to post them all?

A

Definitely a cool find! I'd love to see more if you're willing to share.

M

I have another wonderful recipe for LOVE Potion! Enjoy! Has anyone made any of these drinks yet?
Happy Day,
Mangogirl

A

This one seems a bit tricky. Do they mean 1 1/2 oz and 1 oz of orange juice and lemon juice, or juice from 1 1/2 oranges and 1 lemon?

These are great - what does that say at the bottom of the Love Potion card? Garnish with a parasol and.... does that say straw?

Here's the Zombie Village drink menu which lists all the drinks mangogirl has posted so far... interesting that the Head Hunter was meant for two people... I think I could handle one by myself - hahah

-Trad'r Bill

M

These recipes came from the 40's and 50's. They were found in exotic far off lands of the south pacific by Adventurers Skipper Frank and Lucille Kent who had 3 restaurant/bars in the Northern California in the days of the original Tiki Bar extravaganza! Lucille was the designer, she set the scene for several Polynesian type Tiki Bars and restaurants! She did one in Chicago, but she and the Skipper had The skipper, Skipper Kents, and the Voodoo Village!
It would be fun to experiment! Aloha, Mango girl What brought you to Tiki Central?

...I answered my own question - looking at the other two cards, that definitely says garnish with a parisol and straw.

I wonder what "1/2 oz (crossed out word) #1" means on the Head Hunter recipe. Mangogirl, can you decipher what the crossed-out word is?

[ Edited by: Trad'r Bill 2012-03-02 10:04 ]

On 2012-03-02 09:44, mangogirl wrote:
These recipes came from the 40's and 50's. They were found in exotic far off lands of the south pacific by Adventurers Skipper Frank and Lucille Kent...

Wow! :D

Thanks Mangogirl,
This is so cool! I love the story and the prices of the drinks! Thank you for sharing!

Kuke Combs

W

That's a great find, thanks for sharing it!
Any word on which drinks came from where? I ask because I love to collect local drinks when I hit different liberty ports in the Pacific and then make them back at my home bar.

Aloha, Thanks for your post! Wouldn't it be great to pin-point each drink to find where they came from?
The Kents were meticulous about keeping records. But by the time pops met Gladys and purchased their
house in Kona, the Antique Dealers and Garage Sale'ers, had already got first dibs. I know the Kents spent time in Indonesia, I think it was called Siam at the time! Are you in the Navy? Are you in Micronesia now? You Yourself are living the life of an adventurer! I bet you got some stories to tell! Do you have a tiki bar at home? Sorry to send you more questions than what you sent me! Gotta Boogie, Happy Day, Ms. M

Glad I found this, those cards are great, I was just searching for any recipe from Skipper Kent and Zombie Village. Anyone else ever find anything for the Witches Brew or Skipper's Downfall?

Pages: 1 17 replies