Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Moai ceramic lamp

Pages: 1 11 replies

K
keola posted on Sun, Feb 26, 2012 2:40 PM

I picked up a ceramic Moai lamp and haven't been able to find any info on it by doing a search here and on Google. There are no markings on it. Can anyone provide info on this lamp? It is 11.5" tall and 8" wide.

These are fairly new lamps made by a US company, Still can find them around if you look
many of us have them, I think I may be selling one or two myself at The International Tiki Market Place
next Sunday at Don's.

K
keola posted on Sun, Feb 26, 2012 2:54 PM

Very cool. Hopefully I can make it down to Don's for the sale. I got it at an antique fair in Santa Monica.

[ Edited by: keola 2012-02-26 14:54 ]

I hope someone did not sell it to you as an Antique, these are new lamps.

K
keola posted on Sun, Feb 26, 2012 3:07 PM

I wasn't told if it was new or vintage. It was a little dusty and the red paint inside seemed worn in places. The seller didn't represent it one way or the other, but I paid $80. Good price or ripoff?

Dug up the info for you: "Kalani Luau Lantern" lamp made by LumiSource List price $55
It is the same company that made those plasma Moai Lights.

Here http://www.lumisource.com/novelty.html
I don't see the black lamps on the site so they may be out of production now.
I did an Internet search & found some online retailers still selling them for $30 to $50 Dollars.

[ Edited by: Chuck Tatum is Tiki 2012-02-26 15:18 ]

K
keola posted on Sun, Feb 26, 2012 3:15 PM

Thanks for the detailed info and links. My dimensions are a bit larger compared to both links. So I think this may have been produced in 3 sizes. Lumisource only shows one size at the moment (Product Size: 4" Diameter x 6" H) Mine is about 8" Diameter x 11.5" H).

Edit: I found this info on an older thread here:

On 2007-07-21 06:47, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
..you probably should mention that these 10" tall lamps were discontinued a couple years back, which means there aren't going to be any more made at this size which kinda makes this a collector's item...later this year, smaller versions of this same lamp will be released and they are only going to be 8" tall.

All in all, I'm happy I got it!

[ Edited by: keola 2012-02-26 15:35 ]

That's all that counts, enjoy!

T

I could be wrong but I think that design was done by David Krys AKA Tipsy McStagger Or DSK designs.
The one I have is.
Maybe a copy?
David where you at???

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-02-26 21:01 ]

Ha !! right you are skip.... those are mine.

First off, they did come in 3 sizes. The very larger ones that I first made were hand fired in a kiln. very few if any of those exist as they were sold door to door and bar to bar. They were each hand painted and came with one of those fireplace flaming gel cans. Once lumisource started making them for me they ditched the gels in favor of a red bulb for safety's sake and produced a smaller size than the originals. That would be the one that this t.c. member picked up. They made those for about a year. came in a plain box with no graphics or pictures on it. Those are hard to find too. The last size was the small version and those came in a colorful box with pics and graphics on all sides. They have since been discontinued due to decreasing sales. They are now collector's items !! Oceanic arts has carried those for quite awhile now and they might have some left.

hope this clears up the mystery.

Definitely from LumiSource, says so on the box.

Pages: 1 11 replies