Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New Member Hello

Pages: 1 11 replies

Hi All,

Long time "guest" of this site, but am registering so I can get some expert advice on repairing my 1940's Rattan set.

I'm starting fire eating classes soon, so I am speculating that I will only be a viable contributing forum member for 6 months, tops. Any of my polynesian, tiki barware, 1940's American Orientalia, antique rattan furniture (lovingly reupholstered in asian toile by my mother) and mid-century modern collectibles that haven't gone up in flames are to be distributed among the members of this forum, as well as the lotta living forum. There is a hoarders amount of things, so everyone located in LA should be able to find something they like :wink:

I love to concoct my own tiki drinks and create funny names for them. I can with 100% confidence say that I can drink anyone, anywhere under the table. So much under the table that the person I'm drinking against falls through a portal all the way to china. My secret is that I don't put alcohol in my pretty drinks. Shhhhhh. Don't fink on me :wink:

I also own a concerning amount of leopard print dresses/skirts and am saving up for my first trip to Hawaii which at some point I will be asking for advice on. IE. I want to find the Brady's cursed tiki.

xosarah

You're a nut Liar Liar Pantsenfuego, you'll fit in just fine here :D Welcome!

Awww, and I had made an effort to tone it down :wink:

Thank you for the warm welcome, Mad Dog. I appreciate it :)

T

Aloha Sarah!

Welcome to Tiki Central!

I came across your post in the Exotica Vintage LP Poll thread and I was intrigued, since you mentioned Martin Denny and Mary Blair in the same post (and simultaneously revived a nine year old thread)

Looked at some of your other posts and actually LOLed... egad, LOLed... I laughed out loud!

If yer around tonight between 4 and 8pm, head out to Tonga Hut in North Hollywood and meet some TC ohana!

Mahalos!
Eric

Thank you Eric,

It's been a long time since someone said they laughed at my writing :) I'm simultaneously flattered and suspicious of this offer to hang out with TC members at Tonga tonight. What if this is some elaborate ruse to lure me to my death as blood revenge for so many accidental double postings? What happens after I walk into the darkened Tonga tonight? Does the door lock behind me and I get clobbered with a huge wooden tiki pole? Is my body then dosed with rum and transpo'd to the slow cooker at the Swinging Door on Vanowen? Admittedly, an awesome demise but I'm pretty tuckered out tonight. Actually spent the entire day yesterday shooting with Donna Loren (of my controversial Donna/Davy Jones) post. I'll properly introduce myself sometime soon. Love your art! Love Mojave 3! (Um, "Sarah" is an amazing song) Love the title of your painting "Up your Legs Forever"! (great use of that title).

xosarah

PS. People who don't love the brilliance of Mary Blair are dead to me. ;)

T

Oh no... I'm LOLing again...

Actually, snickering, chortling, and finally laughing out loud... so SOL, ChOL, and then LOLing... oh how dreadful...

Oh, and once clobbered, you'll probably end up in the nacho cheese pot over at the Hut. But don't worry, I'm a vegetarian, so I won't actually eat any of you...

Eric,

Please stop schnortling, you're going to choke to death on the Tonga Nachos! ;) And honestly, 1. I don't want any more TC folks upset with me just b/c I accidentally murdered you and 2. We have so much to talk about! Siouxsie! Throwing Muses! (It's Not to Soon = On repeat for hours) Cocteau Twins! (Heaven or Los Vegas, please :)) Miyazaki! (I worked on the american Arietty marketing campaign) and Frank Lloyd Wright (I work for Mod Com!).

ooooh....might not have anything left to talk about now ;)

You got me at anything MCM, but did I hear "Siouxsie!"

Atomic! I LOVE Siouxsie!!! I was reminiscing last night about this dance routine I had worked out to "Peek-a-boo" for when my friends and I would go out dancing. It involved really high kicks during the first few beats (you know the ones I'm talkin' about). I also concluded that if I ever tried to do that routine again, I would end up in the ER ;)

I caught Siouxsie & the Banshees (And the Creatures) when ever they had a gig.
but no dance routine for me, I saw her solo gig a few years back & she was still doing those high kicks too.

I think i they were one of the bands i saw at the first Lollapalooza.

Atomic,

She is definitely an amazing woman!

Porpoise,

I think you are right. They were at the first lollapalooza in support of their album "Superstition," which featured "Kiss them for Me" (which has been described as a tune with an "exotica" sound, with the lyrics inspired by Jayne Mansfield!) Sadly, I wasn't allowed to go to the first Lolla b/c I was a freshmen in HS. Still bummed at my parents for that one ;)

Pages: 1 11 replies