Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Mold Making Technique

Pages: 1 4 replies

K

Hi, all:
A number of TC'ers make their own molds for tiki mugs and have been kind enough to create tutorials with pictures and instructions. Thank you!

I have a technical question and a request:

Technical question: how long after your last pour do you usually wait before taking your mold apart? I've gone anywhere from an hour to a day. For me waiting a longer time seems to work better.

UPDATE: TikiTonie just told me she waited three hours before parting her first mold ever for the first time, and it turned out great!

Also, how long do you let your molds cure before pouring slip in them the first time?

Request: If you've created a tutorial or if you know of a good one, will you link to it here? I know there are a few good ones floating around out there. Here's Wendy's:

Wendys Tutorial

And here's Babalu and Bowana's:

Bowana and Babalu Tutorial

TikiTonie has a good one in progress:

TikiTonie Tutorial

Here's an oldie but a goodie by hmc:

hmc Makes a Tiki Mug

Here's a link to a non-tiki tutorial on making a two-piece ceramic mold. It's simple but informative:

Laguna Tutorial

I know there are more. You will be helping tiki mug makers the world over if you also link to yours.

Thank you!!

BONUS FEATURE: Here's VanTiki at work. He don't need no stinking moldses!
VanTiki Rocks It

[ Edited by: KokoKele 2012-02-29 08:12 ]

[ Edited by: KokoKele 2012-02-29 08:32 ]

[ Edited by: KokoKele 2012-02-29 10:54 ]

[ Edited by: KokoKele 2012-02-29 11:01 ]

[ Edited by: KokoKele 2012-02-29 15:03 ]

This is so awesome having all the tutorials in one place!!! Making my mug making life easier!

THANKS KOKOKELE!!

Kokokele that's a wonderful post that you have put together. I have more step by step mold making procedures throughout my thread. Even for 6 sided molds. Someday I'll go find them all and add them to your links. Thank you for your work what a treasure you are. Wendy

K

Thank you, Wendy. Yes, the more links the better. It's actually kind of hard to find the entire mold-making process beautifully illustrated out there on the ol' Interweb, and it seldom pertains to tikis! I know when I was trying to figure it out I had to piece it together. All this information should make people feel much more empowered to create tiki mugs on their own. I noticed some of your more advanced work nicely posted and think it will make a nice addition.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing their knowledge!

Thanks for doing this! I just started doing some hand building but hope one day to make a mold!

Pages: 1 4 replies