Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Pantsenfuego: Amassing Orientalia

Pages: 1 0 replies

I've been collecting orientalia pottery from the 40's through the 50's for about 7 years, and I never realized it might fit under this category. I hope it does, because I've felt so lonely all these years ;) (Especially when my asian friends come to visit me. I get anxious that they think I have some kind of weird fascination with them ;)) I am hoping to archive all of my pieces (of which there are many), so hopefully this forum will keep me accountable.

1. "Tova" My first picture is a statuette I bought for 2 dollars at the Jewish Womens Council Thrift next to Canter's in LA. It's marked as "Tova," who according to my research was a lady potteress in the 40's. Just off of my own research, I self-appraise it around 40 bucks, but to me it's priceless. I love her magnificent sweeping arms!

2. "Busted" I love this bust of a pretty asian lady. There are no markings on the bottom. I've never been able to find another bust like this. She is 3 dimensional (ie. She doesn't have a planter in the back of her head). My stupid photography does not do the gold markings on her outfit justice.

3. "Assassinated" I bought this lamp on a trip to Ohio and was very excited because of the color, which is the color used for so much orientalia. Once I had it in my living room though, my friend pointed out that the lady looks like she's kneeling on the ground, waiting to be assassinated by an invisible gunman. Now when I look at her I think, "I'm sorry, about-to-be-dead lamp."

Pages: 1 0 replies