Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Shrunken Head Mug! On Ebay Now!

Pages: 1 11 replies

I know that its cool. If you wanna trade something for it, shoot me an email. That thing rocks.

Don't know anything about it or where it came from. Hopefully somebody will.

Erich Troudt

That mug is very similar to the Mai Kai's shrunken head mug, available in the gift shop. The colors of the Mai Kai version are different, though.

-Mug

E

Swee-heeet!!!

emspace.

that is a bad ass looking mug, Shrunken heads are the $HiT .I'd keep it if I was you. the Mai K ai mugs do look just like that. the paint is totally different but they also dont say "Mai Kai" anywhere either so who knows it just might be a one of theirs not available anymore in that color.

If it comes in, in one piece, it will be a turn around thing for profit. If anyone wants to make an offer on it, send me a private message. It may go on Ebay if offers are not good enough.

Wow-- I picked one of these up at Goodwill not too long ago. The paint on mine looks different as well.

the bad thing is is that someone took blue paint and painted the darn thing-- couldn't be an original blue paint job because it is on top of the glaze and looks like the paint that comes in the "paint-by-numbers" kits. It scratches off easily with a fingernail.

I'll try to take a pic of it and post it up.
C

1P

yep that's how my Mai kai Mug is too the colors especially the blue strips right out. weird .so dont get Too Angry about this Angry tiki.

ebay the sumbitch!, competition is good!.

On 2003-06-16 19:50, twowheelin'tiki wrote:
ebay the sumbitch!, competition is good!.

I like it! Twowheelin, ever killed anything? You sometimes act like me, a redneck. No offense, you are one of my favorite friends. But not in that Trader Woody kind of way.

Hey I got this mug in today. I have to say that if it came from the Mai Kai, it was well over 10 years or better. I have some ceramics from the early 90's late 80's that don't have as much crazing. The mug is in excellent shape other than the crazing. No paint is going to flake off of this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3229613334

[ Edited by: KokomoTikiBar&Grill on 2003-06-18 21:01 ]

If you look at the picture of the shruken skull mug on the Mai-Kai menu, it looks exactly like your mug. The mug they currently use has the blue paint on it. The Mai-Kai's mugs have evolved -- or devolved --over the years. The early mystery drink bowls have larger and more well-defined tikis on them, and the Rum Barrel had more pronounced lettering on the side. Could be their ceramic molds became worn with use, but one of you potters would know more about that than I would. Holden's Tiki Fram has done some great work re-creating their classic mugs, as well as a repro of the elusive Mai-Kai decanter. They'll be available at the Hukilau from what I understand.

Kokomo-
Not trying to be an ass here, but I want to clear up the crazing issue. I have mugs I made yesterday that are crazed all to hell. During my last visit to the Freer gallery in D.C. I viewed some Korean pottery which was 700 years old which showed no crazing.

The point is that it is the ratio of clay expansion vs. the ratio of glaze expansion determines crazing. there is a point at which the glaze will almost be under compression and appear to be fine, but crazing will appear over time. This could take days or years.

the only way to solve this is by understanding and adjusting the base formulae. I, for one, think crazing is attractive and am not too worried about the so-called tendency to be a breeding ground for bacteria. However, crazing is not an accurate guage of a piece's age. In fact, older pieces probably won't craze because of the lead content. The ceramics industry has been scratching their heads for decades about how to eliminate crazing without the use of lead.

Nice looking mug!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1164&forum=5

[ Edited by: Saint-Thomas on 2003-06-19 20:31 ]

Pages: 1 11 replies