Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Soooo much orientalia!

Pages: 1 0 replies

Please forgive my photography. Despite owning a very nice camera, I remain a luddite.

1. Pay no attention to the untoward naked lady in the background.

2. Sweet little salt and pepper shakers. The picture in the background is of my grandparents vacationing in Florida. Many peeps on the board are sure to understand, post-retirement, my grandparents were "snow birds." They'd make the trek from a tiny town in Ohio to Florida with a group of their friends every year. This is my favorite picture of my grandparents, and it just so happens to tie into my decor :)

3. Found this lady while shooting a show in Northern, Ca. I don't need all of my "treasures" to be in pristine condition. I think the chipped paint and cracked neck gives her character :)

4.Planter found at the same place that the "chipped" lady comes from. He must really like reading.

1. A dainty lady that hangs out on my bookcase.

2. My mom found these at an estate sale in Florida. I think it's funny that they are both from the same mold, but the variations in the painting cause them to have slightly different facial expressions. One of them looks a little Gomer Pyle-ish :)

3. This chalk ware was found at a Goodwill about an hour out of Minneapolis while I was on a shoot. It weighs about five pounds, 2 of which are the guy's belly alone :wink:

4. Planter found at the Atwater Village Out of the Closet in LA. I find a TON of orientalia and polynesian stuff at that particular Out of the Closet. I think it just depends on the neighborhood you are in. That neighborhood apparently loves their tiki bars (or hates them, depending on how you look at it).

9.Another Atwater find. I like the softer colors of this piece, as opposed to the very bright colors you usually find orientalia painted with. The winking lady is a notebook I bought at Wacko, filled with Rupert Murdoch's secrets (really!)

1. Atwater find. They jam those instruments pretty well.

2. The little blonde boy to the right is freaking out because that dragon is about to eat that lady. That little blonde boy also happens to be me. And I wonder why I love orientalia so much? :wink: I found the dragon at an estate sale I went to with Bora Boris. He tried to stop me, but I can't be stopped. It's a sickness. And Bora Boris can't tell me what to do! :wink:

3. This ash tray doesn't fit anywhere on this board, but I think it makes a nice addition to any tiki bar. We found this in my grandfather's basement after he passed. Scandalous!!! It was well used, no doubt during some "manly" basement poker games. I wonder what my grandpa would think if 1. He knew I found this and 2. and am burning sage in it (which I'm sure he'd mistake for something else, if you know what I mean).

Pages: 1 0 replies