Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Cold Hardy? Lowes or Home Depot

Pages: 1 20 replies

R

Has anyone seen the Cold Hardy's arrive at any Lowes or Home Depot? I have been visiting a few over the past few weeks. I did talk to an employee at one of my stops and they did say that they are waiting on them..

I'm located in the Balto, MD area..

J

I am in Montgomery County. I have been to two HDs over the past few days. No cold hardy palms yet. They barely have a third of their plant/shrub stock ready, so it is not surprising.

In the alternate, you can get them at Behnke's (Beltsville) and Hollywood & Vines (Alexandria).

R

I went down to Behnke's in Beltsville and after talking to the person at the counter, she had no idea what "Cold Hardy" meant. I did walk around a bit there and didn't find anything, so I will continue my search.

Thanx for your help

On 2012-03-15 16:31, richie6 wrote:
I went down to Behnke's in Beltsville and after talking to the person at the counter, she had no idea what "Cold Hardy" meant. I did walk around a bit there and didn't find anything, so I will continue my search.

Thanx for your help

Behnke's is a great place, but some of their people are clueless. I have had the same answer and then found one 10 minutes later.

They usually have a few. You just have to wander and find them on your own.

hey richie6,

if you're in glen burnie, your best bet might be Valley View Farms. i will ask my wife what she knows re:. also there is greenfield's in baltimore city (northern edge, near pimlico). i'll post more here if i uncover any info for you.

[ Edited by: johnny dollar 2013-10-05 07:13 ]

in the meantime here are the addresses of the places i mentioned.

http://www.valleyviewfarms.com/
http://www.greenfieldsnursery.com/

my wife sez that they usually do show up at HD, in a blue bucket and tagged cold hardy, but she thinks it is still a bit early for them.

if time is of the essence and you may not mind spending a bit more, you might try calling greenfields in baltimore city, as my wife used to work there and knows they can special order stuff for you. the manager's name is pete. if you need any more info, PM me :)

R

I'm heading to Valley View Farms this weekend. I did stop by a nursery yesterday and they said they should start to arrive after Mother's Day.

Thanx for all the information!

sure! still none at the cockeysville HD this past weekend.

R

On 2012-03-20 08:06, Johnny Dollar wrote:
sure! still none at the cockeysville HD this past weekend.

Thanx for checking..

A

I have to admit, I had to look up what a Cold Hardy is. My first thoughts: Is it a cocktail, a bar, some new dance craze? I'm a little disappointed that it's a palm tree.

S

I have bought "Cold Hardy" palms from various sources, including the Home Depot stuff. Just because a sepcies is cold hardy, does not mean it will thrive. It is really important to know where the nursery is they were grown. If it si Monoria California, don't bother. That palm has been babied its whole life and then you put it in your Zone and it dies... I have also brought them from a Zone near mine and gotten large 15 gallon palms and they ended up toast here.

I am trying a new strategy of gettign a small one, grown at a nearby nursery and hoping as it weathers a few wonters, it gets strong and makes it. I am also putting them near the fence where the cold winds come in so they are sheltered a bit.

The NEedle Palms are indeed hapy and healthy however after several years.

MM

Here is a link to nursery in the South specializing in cold hardy palms and bamboo. It gives a description and cold hardiness in degrees. I hope this helps. I am a palm collector in Southern California. I good place for palms and tiki!

MM

It would be better if I actually provided the link! http://www.coldhardypalms.net/palm_varieties.html

J

On 2012-03-23 09:45, Swanky wrote:
I have bought "Cold Hardy" palms from various sources, including the Home Depot stuff. Just because a sepcies is cold hardy, does not mean it will thrive. It is really important to know where the nursery is they were grown. If it si Monoria California, don't bother. That palm has been babied its whole life and then you put it in your Zone and it dies... I have also brought them from a Zone near mine and gotten large 15 gallon palms and they ended up toast here.

I am trying a new strategy of gettign a small one, grown at a nearby nursery and hoping as it weathers a few wonters, it gets strong and makes it. I am also putting them near the fence where the cold winds come in so they are sheltered a bit.

The NEedle Palms are indeed hapy and healthy however after several years.

I have done pretty well with them here in Zone 7A. Some are tougher than others. The trick, I found, was to protect them for at least the first three years. Most of mine now get minimal protection, but there is 1 that will always need it.

probably too late for the original intent of this post, but HD near us was lousy with the cold hardy palms this past weekend. we picked up a big one and a small one. the big ones are kick ass, very textury bark and great foliage. we were at HD later in the day and they really flew off the shelves :D

R

Was down at the beach in OC over the weekend, low and behold! Cold Hardy's in stock. We ended up getting one big and two medium size.

Also, picked up two banana trees last week. Already to be planted.

holy crap, we went to home depot this weekend and the garden department is LOUSY with tropicals! it kicked ass! we got another palm, a miniature banana tree, some kind of weird fig with huge glossy leaves the size of frizbees, and two variegated palmlike plants.

it's a good time for making tropical gardens on a budget :)

Remember that just because Home Depot or Lowes sells it, doesn't me it will grow there :D Our's sell all kinds of stuff I know will never make it here in our desert. But the only way to find out it to try it.

R

The best part about Home Depot and Lowes is that they guarantee thier plants for a year. If they die, I'll return them and get new ones for the season..

That's truly a bonus! But for me, with plants that I want to keep and allow to grow large and mature, it's only half the battle... Here in Florida we have to be very careful with new plants and worry about insects, fungus, too hot, too wet, too dry, etc. etc. etc. Fortunately we learn as we go, lol... But every year I'm rewarded with tree-ripened limes, oranges and grapefruits from my own trees. Oh, the flavorful fresh juices in my cocktails make all the work very worthwhile!

[ Edited by: AceExplorer 2012-05-15 10:18 ]

Pages: 1 20 replies