Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

They Make Them Like They Used To!

Pages: 1 4 replies

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Mar 5, 2012 11:10 AM

People here on TC are always complaining that things ain't what they used to be. That architecture, music, engineering and the arts have all descended to the lowest common denominator and that the quality of everything around us is just plain crappy. In many ways, this is true.

In many ways, it isn't.

There are lots of people making amazing products that are exactly as good or better that they've ever made before. Many of these companies and individuals are in fact doing retro-based designs, although the company often doesn't see itself that way at all! They think they're just making great stuff, and continue to do it the right way because they're selling like gooey pure maple syrup infused hotcakes.

So here's what this topic is all about.

1. What products/arts/music are just as cool as ever?
  2. Being recognizably retro is a big plus.
  3. Include company weblinks, photos of course, personal experiences.
  4. These are things that have NOT been discussed at length anywhere else on TC.
  5. These don't have to be Tiki.
  6. Screw discussing the merits/drawbacks of this stuff, just post the products!

First up,

SHURON EYEGLASSES

Someone told me about Shuron at Oasis a few years ago, and I don't buy anything else anymore. I have 3 pairs now.

Shuron has been around since 1865, developed and supplied the classic Aviator style frames to the US Army and Air Force in WW2, and arguably influenced Ray-Ban with their classic line of Browline frames. Go to the original, they have an amazing web-based ordering system where you can get a few different sizes, try them on, and send back the ones that don't fit. They're incredibly inexpensive and tough as nails. I have a pair of the first (clear frames) ones you see below, I've customized them with black arms and very pale green prescription lenses.

Suggestion: just get the frames from Shuron and get a local optician to drop the lenses in, it costs much less that way.

Check these out!

They're at:

http://www.shuron.com/

[ Edited by: Cammo 2012-03-05 14:45 ]

I am sure many have heard of Modernica but here is a good spot to bring them up for those who have not. All their products are "hand crafted" in Los Angeles, CA. Take a look at them here. They make some of the best "case study" Mid Century Modern furniture out there.

http://modernica.net/

G

Here is something that hasn't changed:

One is from the Royal Inn circa 1950 and the other is from the Orleans last year.

And I loved my Shurons. I had the browline style but with the shorter, more modern lens height. They have great customer service.

gabbahey

Since 1759:

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Mar 12, 2012 6:21 PM

**Caswell-Massey **is one of the oldest American companies still in existence, begun in 1752, although they were forced to close their NY store two years ago (the new European landlords didn't like them.)

Their Number 6 cologne was George Washington's favorite.

Abe liked 'em.

They produce classic products like Michelsen's Bay Rum, which is probably the best and most authentic Bay Rum on the planet. It smells AMAZINGLY WONDERFUL. These don't smell like your dad, they smell like your great-great granddad, the Evil Railroad Baron who make 16 million in San Francisco before the age of 26, who used to douse himself in it after visiting the Red House on Gough.

Here they are:
http://www.caswellmassey.com/colognes-mens-fragrance.aspx

Pages: 1 4 replies