Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Glass Floats

Pages: 1 2 replies

EJ

Hopefully I am posting this in the correct place. I tried doing a search but could not really find what I was looking for. I want to know what to look for when buying glass floats. Is there such a thing as an original and how can you tell if it is an original? There is a nautical shop nearby that has glass floats of all sizes that appear pretty heavy duty. The rope on them looks aged like it has been in water. So more than others if I remember correctly the prices were pretty reasonable.

If there are any other things to look for please explain. Thanks.

When I see them in the antique stores they usually are in the light blue and light green hues. Most old floats found on the west coast of North America will probably have a Japanese makers mark near the pontil scar. The large ones I see are 8-12" $60-$125 & a few around 20" in diameter, about $150 to $200.

Check out Glass Float Junkie. I need to get to Alaska. :)

Some antique stores have the new Chinese made ornamental 12" floats that are purple, bright yellow, bright red for a ridiculous $80! They usually run between $25 and $40 in Souvenir shops.

Japanese float. More likely to be found in a tiki bar on the west coast of the US.

Scottish float. More likely to be found in a tiki bar on the west coast of Europe.

Cheers,
ETR

EJ

Mr. NoNaMe,

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it. That link looks very interesting.

Pages: 1 2 replies