Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Gallery

Wally's Tikis art

Pages: 1 18 replies

This first one is a PNG middle Sepik river, Tambunum Village inspired pendant, ornament, rear view mirror "hanger" etc. Polymer "clay", antiqued with acrylic paint and sealed with polyurethane. At about 4.5", it is larger than most all of my other pendants.

I wanted a more general post to show some photos, Thanks for any comments.

C
cy posted on Mon, Mar 26, 2012 9:30 AM

Beautiful work Wally's Tiki!

Very nice, but my neck hurts

H

Very nice Wally, love the croc!

Ahhhh

Freekin awesome

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 03:10:09 ]

P

Very cool!

This is my version of a Marquesas Islands U'u war club, at least the business end, as a pendant or a pin. I didn't make the dime, it's just for scale (grin).

Wally, this is some great-looking stuff (That is a regulation dime and not MadDogMike's giant dime*, right?). You've made modern materials look antique and interesting.

*Sorry for the obscure reference, but, needless to say, Mike has a giant dime. Be warned.

Yea, it's a regulation dime. Unfortunately worth about six cents, so I'm good for 3 more comments!

Going to try posting a few more tikis and a pork/puffer nite lite I may add some polyurethane to to simulate varnish.

Vanuatu Tamtam and head pendants

K

I couldn't use them as Rearview Mirror Hangers, would get into a wreck from staring at the cool pendant instead of the road. Some cool stuff Wally!

Ahh, you get used to them, I've got about a dozen hanging from mine, as well as a Great White pendant and a 4 1/2 inch tall sculpt I did of the Black Knight (dismembered version) from Monty Python's Holy Grail. They make great conversation starters.

Someone asked about the process with these, most of what I sent is here: also a few more photos....

"I use Premo polymer clay, sculpt my original and make a full mold or a component mold(s). The "clay" comes in assorted colors that you can mix like paint. I do bake it, but it is low temp in a small convection oven at around 275 degrees for at least 30 mins. for each 1/4 inch of thickness. Once cooled I do some further detailing then coat with polyurethane, when dry bake again at about 180 or so for about 15 to 20 minutes to "set" the poly.After that I string them and hopefully sell them, unless they come out really, really good then I wear them as part of my ever growing collection."

These are some samples of whats at the gift shop at the MAI-KAI, and a custom one I did for a F.S.U. alum. and yes! the tongues that protrude wag back and forth when they are jostled the least little bit!

Wally I started with polymere clay. I love that stuff. You are making wonderful tikis. It's good that you are using the colored clay. I used the brown or white clay and painted it after it baked. The Liquitex Glossies I used reacted with the clay and turned into sticky fly paper. It took a couple of years but I found that concrete sealer would seal it and take away the stickiness but what a lot of work. The bowls I was making back then were too large to use the colored clay. You are perfect using it for necklaces. Good job. Wendy-danlovestikis

I know polymer is used allot for prototyping etc. and to get scanned into a computer as a mackette (sorry about the spelling) Polymer should not be used for food, or as anything that might end up in one's mouth, because of the plastisizers used in the compounds. When coating it, water based products are best. I do love the versatility of the medium though. Sculpt time not withstanding, I can go from concept to finished piece in hours instead of days, dovetails great with my attention span.

Your tikis have a great dental plan...

Good stuff bruddah

Well, here's a suffering bastard....He's not smiling....although I'm partial to making the "toothy" ones.

Pages: 1 18 replies