Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Carbonated, bottled tiki drinks

Pages: 1 12 replies

Aloha kakou,

I'm putting together a cocktail menu for an upcoming tiki party at my hale, and I'm struggling to come up with a good bottled cocktail that truly fits the tiki mold. I typically carbonate and bottle things like Americanos and Negronis with my iSi Twist n Sparkle. The two cocktails I mentioned work well and are very stable due to the lack of any fruit juice. Recently I have tried bottling things like planter's punch, but the lime doesn't last in the fridge overnight (24 hours is all I really need given my prep time for everything else on the day of the event). I also tried Dark and Stormies, but they don't taste right out of the bottle to me. Last night I spent a couple of hours trying various liquors, syrups and liqueurs mixed with soda, but I haven't hit on anything really great. Given the bottled cocktail trend, I thought perhaps some of you might have a good recipe you'd be willing to share with me and the TC ohana. Any help most appreciated!

Much mahaloz,
Josh

havent tried this trend out myself. but am curious-- what seemed off with the dark-n-stormy?

The Dark and Stormy was unpleasant to me without lime and ice. Even though it was cold, the aftertaste was less than amazing without a little dilution and fresh lime for balance. It also felt a bit too easy--I could make a proper Dark and Stormy in about twice as much time as it takes to open a bottle cap :)

most cocktails require ice for dilution-- i would think if you're making a chilled and bottled pre-mixed cocktail, you would have to determine some measure of water to add during the process for proper balance....

also, i would think you could use bottled or canned juices, such as Nellie & Joe's lime juice, to avoid spoilage.

maybe drinks calling for soda water or ginger beer would work particularly well:

perhaps the Suffering Bastard;

Sidewinder's Fang;

Doktor Funk?

Thanks for the suggestions--I'll keep tinkering!

Tofu, is the objective to eliminate mixing the night of the party? Fresh juices would work if you are going to make them up a few days before the party and keep them in the fridge.

A

No, not fermented--just carbonated and bottled. More like this: http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2011/bottled-carbonated-cocktails/

A

Interesting idea. A Cuba Libre might be a simple one to do.

The Cuba Libre is definitely a good fall-back position.
Mahaloz!
-Josh

Just a safety note. The ISI Twist & Sparkle was recalled for a safety issue.

Pages: 1 12 replies