Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Witco Oceanic Bedroom Set

Pages: 1 14 replies

Offered for sale is a rare and hard to find Witco Oceanic series bedroom set from the early 60's. This includes the long, low chest of drawers, the queen size headboard and frame, the tall dresser and large mirror. This is located in Tosa or Milwaukee, WI and must be picked up. The set is overall good condition with some minor scuffs and normal wear for something this age. You won't be disappointed! $2500.

https://apps.facebook.com/marketplace/local/wauwatosa-wi/?f=2981028836&etype=post&cm_mmc=Share_Listing-_-POST-_-NA-_-NA&code=AQBMSzZjxM8a_TS843DV1WOQMcT5nSKexkSfzX0LqaltmClE-baXL4GsBD4Ti-b6iejY0zINtNcV1Kdtv00xw_dca12QPCpC5Jj0cYNvR2MOO2G3eWyj1CnphA9p_Woc-klJ91RSIOH0cv49nJ7dmOVPch8Cc-s6yOThYQhfL-2X6YrI-rFKaAM-IUEWa2fMOG0&rfb_domain=facebook.oodle.com

[ Edited by: princesseddy 2012-03-30 16:53 ]

[ Edited by: princesseddy 2012-03-30 16:54 ]

can you post pictures here?? I don't want to join oodle just to see the pics... thanks !!

HT

So pretty.

that's a really groovy set.... not witco, but very cool none the less.. This particular style always reminds me of something from planet of the apes movie (original)- Has that futuristic abstract primitive look about it.

that IS an amazing bedroom set and I can totally imagine it looking stunning in the right mid century environment.

I am told by an antiques dealer that this is Witco from their Oceanic furniture line. It was made for a very short period of time and that the pieces seldom come up for sale.

that dealer wasn't Mr. Modern was it ?? I live in chicago and you'd be suprised how often this style of furniture turns up. it's actually more common than one would think out this way. None the less, i have been wrong before... perhaps some of the witco experts here will chime in or maybe they are just embarrased because they don't know the answer either.....

CL

On 2012-04-09 04:28, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
that dealer wasn't Mr. Modern was it ?? I live in chicago and you'd be suprised how often this style of furniture turns up. it's actually more common than one would think out this way. None the less, i have been wrong before... perhaps some of the witco experts here will chime in or maybe they are just embarrased because they don't know the answer either.....

If there are any other lurkers like me out there who knows anything definite about these, i hope you'll step forward and share. "Witco" is among the searches this online beachcomber makes as a daily ritual, and these pieces do pop up every now and then. Always been skeptical about them being Witco, and even emailed an inquiry to that Chicago dealer mentioned above, but didn't receive a reply. For one thing, they aren't carved. The relief detailing is some sort of resin. And didn't Witco start moving away from Tiki/Oceanic and into different design territory in their final years?

I was rummaging about the Dallas (TX) Design District last week and found one of the dressers. It was in pretty sad condition, but for the first time I got to check one out up close. There were no maker marks anywhere that I could find, and unfortunately there didnt seem to be anyone working in the warehouse to answer questions or get a price. Any texas brahs reading this may want to have a look.

This set is definitely not Witco, nevertheless it is a very cool, beautifully crafted (better than Witco!) mid-century modern set that is certainly worth its money. In case of further doubt, you can tell the antiques dealer that the guy who wrote the book on Witco says so.

CL

Thanks for the confirmation, Sven. I cherish your book and one of the first things I checked when I bought it last year was to see whether or not OP's "Oceanic" furniture was included.

Not to derail the thread, but this is the best opportunity to show off a couple similar bedroom pieces I found a couple years ago and snatched up. If anyone can provide any history on the maker, I'd love to know:

[ Edited by: Chuck Lava 2012-04-09 10:32 ]

On 2012-04-09 08:01, Chuck Lava wrote:
...For one thing, they aren't carved. The relief detailing is some sort of resin. And didn't Witco start moving away from Tiki/Oceanic and into different design territory in their final years?

Dang, so those abstract mod shapes are not carved wood !? Could have fooled me...kinda disappointing, I thought it was some fine tree material like Koa or such.

Witco actually made some of their most outrageous Tiki bars, sofas and whole bedroom sets in the early to mid-70s. It was mostly in their last year of 1976 that they tried the Scandinavian blond wood look - still with some Tiki designs included. And they never called it "Oceanic", it was called Polynesian - or African. :)

TD

I'think when all is said and done,
you will find that these are 'LANE'
just my opinion,I could be wrong.

S

This set is sold!

Well the debate continues as to the manufacturer of this set, Sven says it is not Witco and he is a Witco authority. I am currently selling the long dresser with the mirror, The Men’s Chest Dresser, and a pair of the elusive bed side tables. The not so good news is that it needs TLC, the runners on many of the drawers are made of plastic, are broken, and need to be replaced. The Men’s Chest Dresser is missing one piece of trim on the top of the door, see the picture. The Men's Dresser and the end tables should be refinished. We are relocating from Los Angeles to Austin and we don’t have room in our new place. The GOOD NEWS is that we are only asking $800 for the set, which seems like a fair price. Please feel free to email me directly for further clarification etc.

Men's Chest Dresser 48" Wide x 22" High x 14" Deep
Dresser 78.5 " W x 29"H x 19" D
Mirror 34" W x 50.5 “H Total height of Dresser with the mirror is 79.5”
Each Bed side Table is 28"W x 22"H x 14" D

Mahalo,

Senor Amor
of The Molotov Cocktail Hour on KXLU
[email protected]
for nearly 20 years we have broadcast our annual
“Martin Denny Easter Special” that is a celebration of Exotica,
birth of Spring, love, lust, and you know the drill or you wouldn’t
be reading this.

Keywords, free form, freeform, Freeform, brutalist, Brutalist, paul evans, phillip lloyd powell, mid century, furniture, eames, carved furniture, carved dresser, mid century dresser,

[ Edited by: senoramor 2012-05-09 07:52 ]

[ Edited by: senoramor 2012-05-10 00:50 ]

J

Has anyone ever figured out where these pieces originated? Educated guesses? Anything? I have a credenza, hutch with glass doors, dining table, leaf, and six chairs. I'm totally curious about them. The only identifier of any kind is a label on the underside of one of the chairs that says "made by Jessup Upholstery Corp, Collinsville, VA." I can't find anything on them either.

Well, they keep on popping up on e-bay as Witco, so they must be, right? :D ....NOT!

Pages: 1 14 replies