Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

How to hang bamboo poles on ceiling?

Pages: 1 8 replies

I did my searches, can not find the answer (am I searching the wrong thing?) Getting ready to do my bamboo lashing and hanging on the ceiling. What tips can you give me for the most efficient method? (or links to forum posts I missed???)

Using both split 3 inch poles and whole 1 inch poles.

I'd also like to know what other people have done - I'll be hanging some poles in my tiki room soon here too. I was planning on attaching some eye screws to the studs and hanging the poles off those with wire.

I was thinking of using some sort of "c" shaped bracket and strategically covering with the cross poles and lashing.

Hi the best place to ask these questions is under the section for tiki bars. Everyone there is an expert at bamboo and making cool rooms. There are lots of step by steps there. Good luck. Wendy

Thanks Wendy, I was trying to follow guidelines on the main page that q and a belonged here.

T

You need this book or one like it.

MT

Do you plan on having the bamboo poles laying flush across the ceiling? Like this?
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35684&forum=20&vpost=527741

Or like this?

In cases like this, the skinnier bamboo poles are usually anchored directly into the ceiling joists with a screw or nail, or into strips of wood that have been anchored into the ceiling and are spread out along each joist.

The skinny bamboo can be anchored with a drywall screw or something similar, with a pre-drilled hole through the bamboo for each screw, to prevent splitting the bamboo. The larger bamboo can be anchored similarly, with either a long screw going through both sides of the bamboo, or a short screw going through the one side of the bamboo touching the ceiling, from the inside of the bamboo where it is open at the end. The rope is more decorative, and is used to hide the screws. At least that is how I am planning on attaching a bamboo grid onto my ceiling! I plan on attaching a LOT of eye candy from my bamboo grid, including a bunch of fish floats, Oceanic Arts type lamps, puffer fish, globe lamps, and who knows what else. All of that stuff will be heavy cumulatively, and I want to make sure the grid and everything hanging from it is secure, especially here in Earthquake Country! :wink:

If any of the professionals, or others that have built their own home tiki bars, would like to chime in with advice, I know I'd love to hear it. Also, if anyone that is trying to do this on their own, but are unsure about their skill level or how securely they can attach something to the ceiling, then I highly recommend that you hire one of the professionals like Bamboo Ben, Notch, Tiki Diablo, or any of the other talented builders that are slipping my mind right now. :)

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Apr 6, 2012 8:54 AM

With access to the attic, I drilled very small holes in the ceiling that I ran wires through and then in the attic I screwed them to a joist. This gave me a lot of strength to hang whatever on. A very few wires held plenty, and the tiny holes were un-noticable after the whole thing was removed eventually. Plus the wires were nearly invisible on the bamboo they held, though I still used jute in places to hide it.

A trick to wrap the wire around the bamboo. Not sure if I can tell it without drawing it or using a picture.... Wrap the wire around the bamboo and where it meets the wire coming down from above, wrap it around that wire and then it is headed back in the opposite direction and then wrap around the bamboo the other way and do the same, wrapping around the wire coming down from above. This will keep the hanging wire dead center of the bamboo you are hanging, and allow you to keep the bamboo very close to the ceiling or whatever. Do it nice and tight and the bamboo will be right where you want, and not end up sagging down after you hang it. You can get it almost against the ceiling this way with little effort.

Tiki Skip ~ What a beautiful book! But it's not so much the knots I am having a problem with as it is hanging it all from the ceiling.

Mai Tai and Swanky ~ Thank you! I have a better idea of what I'll be doing now to make it work for me!

Pages: 1 8 replies