Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 4-4-12 Spring Theme

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: April 4, 2012

On this week’s show we celebrated the seminal season of spring. Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm EDT at: http://www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived. Some fans choose to record it on their computers to listen to later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “When April Showers Reach Hawaii” the 1936 song by Andy Iona & The Islanders from the anthology: Hawaiians in Hollywood – Smooth, Sweet & Swinging – 1934-36, featuring Andy Iona on Rickenbacker Frying Pan Six-String Electric Lap Steel Guitar.

2. “Panini Pua Kea (White Cactus Flower)” by Cyril Pahinui from the collection: Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Masters – Instrumental Collection (Volume 1).

3. “When My Sugar Walks Down the Street” from the CD: Sol Hoopii in Hollywood – His First Recordings 1925, by the Waikiki Hawaiian Trio with Dave Mahuka on Vocals and Sol Hoopii on Lap Steel Guitar.

4. “The Lei You Made for Me” by the Hula Honeys from their recording: Girl Talk, featuring Bobby Ingano on Steel Guitar; Ginger Johnson on Baritone Ukulele & Acoustic Guitar & Vocals; and Robyn Kneubuhl on Tenor Ukulele & Vocals.

5. “Joyful Spring” by Bela Fleck & The Flecktones from their latest CD: Rocket Science.

6. “Flowers of Paradise” by Alfred Apaka With the Hawaiian Village Serenaders from the 1963 LP: My Isle of Golden Dreams.

7. “Lei 'Ohu (Adorned With a Lei)” by Cyril Pahinui from his CD: 6 & 12-String Slack Key. Composed By George Akiu, the song takes the listener to visit the Big Island, Maui, O’ahu & Kaua’i & to collect leis made up of the flowers most closely associated with each island].

8. “I’ll Remember April,” the song composed by Gene de Paul, Patricia Johnston & Don Raye for the 1942 Abbott & Costello movie: Ride ‘Em Cowboy and performed by Benny Carter on his 1958 LP: Aspects, featuring Benny Carter on Alto Sax and Arnold Ross on Piano.

9. “My April Heart,” the song written by George Wallington & Buddy Goodman, sung by Chris Connor with the Orchestra Conducted By Ralph Burns, taken from her eponymous 1956 LP.

10. “September in the Rain,” the song by Harry Warren & Al Dubin for the 1937 movie: Melody For Two [Lyric: “although Spring is here to me it’s still September in the rain.”] Sung by Sachal Vasandani on his CD: Eyes Wide Open, featuring Jeb Patton on Piano and David Wong on Bass.

11. “April in Paris,” the famed composition by Vernon Duke & Yip Harburg for the 1932 Broadway musical & 1952 movie: Walk a Little Faster, performed by Blossom Dearie on Piano and recorded in 1955 in Paris for her LP: Blossom Dearie Plays For Dancing.

12. “I'm Old Fashioned” by Stacy Kent from her recording: Close Your Eyes, written by Jerome Kern & Johnny Mercer for the 1942 movie: You Were Never Lovelier accompanied by Andrew De Jong Cleyndert on Bass and David Newton on Piano.

13. 1746:19-1749:40 – “You Can't Rush Spring” by Ann Hampton Callaway from her 1994 CD: Bring Back Romance, featuring Lee Musiker on Piano & Lou Marini on Flute.

14. “My One and Only Love” the Guy Wood & Robert Mellin song performed by Nancy Wilson from the compilation: Sweet and Lovely – Capitol’s Great Ladies of Song.

15. “Double Rainbow,” the song by Antonio Carlos Jobim & Gene Lees performed by Karrin Allyson on her CD: Imagina – Songs of Brazil.

Pages: 1 0 replies