Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Int'l Tiki Day - Customs, Rituals, Bafoonery

Pages: 1 31 replies

Attention fellow tiki freaks, our glorious day - International Tiki Day - is almost upon us.

As we all know, it's the second Saturday in August. I imagine that all TC'rs will celebrate it to the best of their ability. If you live near other TC'rs, plan a party. If you don't, celebrate alone in quiet solitude.

Since this will be the first one, we need to come up with all the customs, traditions and general bafoonery that will, from this day forward, be perpetuated for infinity (or at least until the second Sunday in August).

Just think about it! You have a chance to get in on the ground floor of something that in 300 years, people will be asking "why the f&$* do we do this on Int'l Tiki Day mommie?".

We'll be just like the folks that started the whole Christmas thing about a little homeless baby being born that had been good all year so Santa Dawg brought him a bunch of presents and stockings filled with stuff!

So far, I've come up with a few things:

1. read from the BOT on an obscure street corner until at least 10 people gather in wonder.

2. ritualize the disposal of all tiki things broken during the preceeding year.

3. Tiki Sacrifice - destroy some perfectly good tiki thing (preferably your own).

4. Ceremonial tiki torch lighting.

5. Extreme tiki day games - see how many consecutive drinks in the Grog Log you can comsume within say 2 hours.

Now, let's come up with food, drink, song, dance, naughty stuff, and anything else you can think of to make this one mutha of a celebration!!!

Here's a couple of my ideas so far:

1. A bamboo torch lighting event. A line of bamboo torches can be lit that disappear into the ocean can each symbolize a cornerstone of tiki - Vic Bergeron, Don Beach, Thor Heyrdahl, etc.

2. Communal ceremony. We can recite some campy "allegiance to tiki" and take a communal swig of Mai Tai from Chiki's World Largest Tiki Mug.

3. Begin a "Tiki Hall of Fame." Induct a new member to the Tiki Hall of Fame at each yearly Int'l Tiki Day event. The candidate can be dead or alive, a carver, restaurant, mug manufacturer, etc.

On 2003-06-16 10:14, PolynesianPop wrote:
Here's a couple of my ideas so far:

1. Begin a "Tiki Hall of Fame." Induct a new member to the Tiki Hall of Fame at each yearly Int'l Tiki Day event. The candidate can be dead or alive, a carver, restaurant, mug manufacturer, etc.

Pop, let me guess - a category for Tiki Central Special Agents...

I was actually thinking of candidates along the likes of Vic Bergeron, Leroy Schmaltz, etc. But now that you mention it, that's a good Idea Bong! I'll only have to wait 2 years at most.

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-06-16 11:21 ]

On 2003-06-16 09:23, Tiki_Bong wrote:
3) Tiki Sacrifice - destroy some perfectly good tiki thing (preferably your own).

I think Pop can be in charge of that.

VOLCANO! We need a volcano. And virgins! Wait, can we have one on TC?

Tiki Bong wrote:

"1) read from the BOT on an obscure street corner until at least 10 people gather in wonder. "

Yes, but it must be in a bad german accent.

Oh, and don't forget the sing-a-longs.

B
Boob posted on Mon, Jun 16, 2003 8:47 PM
  1. A bamboo torch lighting event. A line of bamboo torches can be lit that disappear into the ocean can each symbolize a cornerstone of tiki -

Didn't some wacko artist do that already with yellow umbrellas a few years back??? Didn't one fly away and kill some people??

I know there were some tiki carols written and posted on a couple of threads. we should have a tiki song songbook put together... maybe i could help with that with someone?

hey - this isn't "beyond tiki. this is Main Discussion material!

On 2003-06-16 20:47, Boob wrote:

Didn't some wacko artist do that already with yellow umbrellas a few years back??? Didn't one fly away and kill some people??

Yes and yes. Christo, the Grapevine, 1991. There was a simultaneous exhibition of turquoise umbrellas in Japan.

--cindy (art history major)

M

My father knew a woman who was killed by one of the umbrellas. It was the wife of a good friend of his. Ample settlement. Still tragic and semi-stupid.

We all should drink a toast at the same time, say 11pm GMT so people on PST can get drunk in the middle of the afternoon.

On 2003-06-17 12:51, martiki6 wrote:
My father knew a woman who was killed by one of the umbrellas.

Read more about that here.

Funny, the Simpsons just had the episode where Homer got into art, and they talked about Christo's umbrellas last night. FREAKY COINCIDENCES!

I'm going to celebrate, as the French and Fake Spanish say, Sans Los Pantalones!

Hmm, that'd be a good name for my private island.

[ Edited by: tikimonkey on 2003-06-17 18:19 ]

All men should consume ample quantities of pineapple as a favor to their wife or girlfriend. Pineapple is suppose to make something else taste better, if you know what I mean.

An international tiki day parade. Each of us creates our own tiki costume and then walks up and down a busy street with a large international tiki day banner.

The banner holders could be dressed as 10 foot tiki poles (painted cardboard tubes with arm holes and eye holes). Following them would be a few members dressed as hula girls and then the wildest grouping of loud aloha shirts/dresses ever assembled in one spot. All vintage, all loud. We could have a boom box holder with some Martin Denny blasting. The front and back of the group would be walking with lit tiki torches.

International tiki day needs to be known by all. A parade is like a huge advertisement.

On 2003-06-16 09:23, Tiki_Bong wrote:

So far, I've come up with a few things:

1. Tiki Sacrifice - destroy some perfectly good tiki thing (preferably your own).

I would prefer to sacrifice a Buffet album. I can't harm a tiki.

I have another idea. Everyone who is having a party should videotape it. When you are through, send me a copy of your video and I can run it through Adobe Premier and create and Int'l tiki day video to distribute to all of us. The theme will be how tiki day is celebrated in different parts of the country/continent/world.

I will volunteer if anyone else is interested. We could burn it as a short mpg file on to CD rom so it could be distributed inexpensively.

What do you think?

Kane's should wear their finest grass skirt and wahine's their prettiest lava-lava. Or the other way around. Actually, I wore a grass skirt while mixing up a batch of Polynesian Paralysis last Friday. I'm ashamed to admit I couldn't convince any of the wahines to do so.

Turns out I won't be back down there till the second Saturday of August. Very cool coincidence.

Hey, I like that parade idea...even if it's just around your local neighborhood block. It would be kinda like our own Tiki-Doodah Parade.

I think we need some sort of pledge to recite like at the beginning of the Olympics:

"... for the glory of Tiki ..."

K

Since I'm on the wagon, I'm considering doing a repeat of my infamous volcano cake in lieu of tropical cocktails.

Someone who knew I liked to bake and decorate once asked me to make a cake for a mutual friend's black belt party. He said to make the cake "huge, just like one of those big-ass wedding cakes".

I told him pastel rosettes don't really say kickboxing and he gave me the go-ahead to do it in chocolate.

Someone dropped by to help me with the project. She thought it would be a good idea for us to get stoned first. Needless to say, it ended up looking more like a big brown mountain than a big-ass wedding cake.

Then we got the idea to turn it into a volcano. The base was bedecked with flowers made of flattened gum-drops. Red icing lava flowed down the sides, with candy corn flames on top. We added fourth of July sparklers at the summit and lit them upon presentation.

If I do this cake for International Tiki Day I will try and figure out a way to make the top explode this time.

DZ

I just read that August 8th, the night before International Tiki Day, is actually "Sneak Some Zucchini Onto Your Neighbor's Porch Night" (I kid you not - Readers Digest, August 2003, pg. 56). What better way to usher in the 'Day of Days' than by carving some zucchini moai and dropping them off all around your block at midnight?

And if you're a home gardener with waaaaay too much zucchini on your hands, you're already set!

I did a net search to find any reference to the sneak-a-zucchini concept. Here's a little one...

http://www.riverreporter.com/issues/00-08-10/zucchini.htm

Here's a calendar that details this and other equally off-center "holidays". There's some funny stuff in there:

http://www.wellcat.com/summer.htm

Moai zucchini. What a fine idea.

[ Edited by: floratina on 2003-07-18 10:43 ]

M

On 2003-07-18 10:07, Doctor Z wrote:
I just read that August 8th, the night before International Tiki Day, is actually "Sneak Some Zucchini Onto Your Neighbor's Porch Night" (I kid you not - Readers Digest, August 2003, pg. 56). What better way to usher in the 'Day of Days' than by carving some zucchini moai and dropping them off all around your block at midnight?

And if you're a home gardener with waaaaay too much zucchini on your hands, you're already set!

Perhaps the more important question is: Dr. Z: why are you reading Readers Digest?

DZ

On 2003-07-18 11:36, martiki6 wrote:

Perhaps the more important question is: Dr. Z: why are you reading Readers Digest?

Why? 'Cause I'm on summer vacation and I have nothing else to do...

I love summer...

Laughter is the best medicine!

haha

Every cottage in Ontario* is well stocked with 1970's Readers Digests. I've read them all. If it was a slightly more swanky cottage, you might be lucky enough to get National Geographic.

Ontario, Canada, for you Californians. You know, that funny pork chop shaped province north of New York that has that big pretty waterfall. And SARS.

L

Getting back to the Virgins..."Can we have one on TC?" My question is can we find one on TC???

I think Crazy Al is stil a virgin.

On 2003-07-18 23:11, RevBambooBen wrote:
I think Crazy Al is stil a virgin.

Front side or back side?

bump :(

Pages: 1 31 replies