Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Great Tiki Drink Book and other Z Gallery Tiki stuff

Pages: 1 4 replies

While walking through the mall yesterday - (on my way to Restoration Hardware for a few more of those great 12.95 album cover frames) my eye caught a display featuring
The Great Tiki Drink Book by Jennifer Trainer Thompson. I immediately made a left through the door and started to look for around.
As I wandered there were several displays of tiki/hawwaiana themed items: a palapa you could special order, hula girl dusters, accoutrement's mugs (hey where's Tiki Farm?) and a few Shag items amoung other things. My favorite item was a set of wine charms that included a teeny tiny tiki in the set.

FG,

Here's a previous thread on the book:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=112&forum=1

I have not seen it myself but some friends say it's lackluster. For my money you can't beat Beachbum Berry's books for the recipes of Trader Vic's for the rambling tales.

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2003-06-16 12:57 ]

Yah, I had seen the book before. It's good for a coffee table type thing. Very colorful and nicely designed. I was just passing along a window shopping tip for anyone who doesn't usually hit places like that. The various displays definitely blended the tiki elements nicely with everyday Z Gallery stuff.

Yeah, I have the book, and most of the drinks are non-traditional recipies. I usually judge a cocktail book by looking up a Mai Tai and seeing how close it is to the Trader Vic's recipe.

I did however find the book during the LA Times Festival of Books this April, and all the vendors were closing up shop, and didn't want to pack up unsold books, and let me have that book for $3. That made it more worthwhile. :)

Yep, for those of you who worry about Tiki getting too mainstream Z Gallerie's summer stuff should freak you out plenty. The one in the Desert Passage mall in Las Vegas had the above mentioned Accoutrements mugs plus swizzles and coasters, "Tiki Mini Citronella Torches" by IF Productions, a Moai candle by Two's Company, Tiki soap-on-a-roap by Bubble Town (a very nice design...But it's soap), and Shag this and Shag that. There was lotsa Hula girl stuff, too. And for you upscale fancy things some cloth cocktail napkins done up with embroidered palm trees.

Pages: 1 4 replies