Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Heading T Ft. Myers In A Few Weeks

Pages: 1 5 replies

R

Looking for interesting places to visit and any stores/ places to check out Tiki items. Thanx Much

As you can tell from the overwhelming responses, there isn't much in the way of "classic" tiki in the Ft. Myers area. The used to date a girl who lived in Ft. Myers and the only interesting thing I can remember there is the Edison winter home and the burial spot of Edgar J. Watson.

Some really nice spots between Sarasota to the north and Naples to the south. And of course, there is the Sanibel/Captiva area to the west. You will have better luck looking for old Florida kitsch than traditional tiki.

TikiHardBop is correct. I've been in SW Florida for a little over a year now, and have yet to find any classic tiki of significance. If you like architecture, you may stumble upon some unique A-Frame type buildings.

Don't order a Mai Tai while in SW FL. More often than not you'll get some concoction of rail rum, pineapple juice and syrup from maraschino cherries.

If you can pull off a road-trip while in Ft Myers, I highly recommend making the 2-hour drive to the Mai Kai in Ft Lauderdale. You won't regret it. Whenever I have guests, I make reservations for their Polynesian show/dinner. I usually hear some grumbling about driving two hours for dinner and a show, but after they've seen the show and had a drink at the Molokai Bar, they can't stop talking about when they'll be able to make it there again.

Good luck and if you find any classic tiki in/around Ft Myers, please let me know. :)

[ Edited by: DarthMalaguti 2012-04-23 12:06 ]

The Wife & I have are going to Cape Coral, right by Fort Myers, in 3 weeks. as far as I can tell there's no Tiki to be found nearby. We're going to hunt down old Florida kitsch and some mid century modern that's in the area. Over the winter there was an exhibit and tours of some of the survivng MCM around Fort Myers:

http://www.mcmo-swfl.com/

http://mfm.floridaweekly.com/news/2011-12-21/Arts_(and)_Entertainment_News/Five_cool_things_about_the_MidCentury_Modern_exhib.html

And we are n\making a pilgramage over to Ft Lauderdale to go to the Mai Kai one night as well!

R

While in Florida, we found two places that had Tiki Statues and other Tiki Items. Both places had great prices and shipped for out of state people.

Beach Pottery Etc:
17980 San Carlos Blvd
Fort Myers Beach, FL

Got to purchase this necklace with carved tiki cheap

Then got this as a Father's Day Present with our lastname carved in

The Swap Shop:
17851 Pine Ridge Road
Fort Myers, FL

R

Second trip to Ft. Myers and got few things.

Two Mugs (Tiki Farm and KC Co)
Sign For The Tiki Bar

Pages: 1 5 replies