Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Delicious drinks at Drink in Boston

Pages: 1 1 replies

V

So last monday I had the pleasure of experiencing two wonderful events: Running the Boston Marathon, and getting to try some of the fantastic mixed drinks at the amazing Drink bar in Boston. I had read about the place on Humumumu's blog http://blog.humuhumu.com/category/perfect-tiki-bar and wanted to be sure to swing by after the run to get a little "liquid advil" into my system to soothe my sore legs. There were only 2 other couples sharing the place with us that afternoon, so we had plenty of time to chat with the fantastic bartender, watch her put together fantastic drinks, and enjoy the beautiful bar.

Here are the 2 drinks I tried (I stick to a very strict 2 drink limit - I've learned that I am a weenie, and 3 drinks will kill me)

First up was the dark-n-stormy. I heard wonderful things about the ginger beer at drink, and wanted to give it a try. They brew a fresh batch every day of their own ginger beer! They use no preservatives or chemicals, hence the need to keep it fresh. It is POWERFUL. Perhaps leaning to too powerful for little old me. It was very yummy - but I had to have a little sip of water after every sip of stormy to keep my mouth from bursting into ginger flame.

Second drink was a mai tai. This was great, as the bartender keeps a small stash of her own personal tiki mugs that she uses whenever someone orders a tiki drink. Yes, yes - I know several purists out there will say that mai-tais belong in a different typo of glass - but I loved it. Bright, delicious Mai-Tai. They make all their syrups, bitters, flavorings, and extracts in-house, and the flavors are fantastic. I learned that our bartender attended cocktail academy with Martin Crate, and that they are good buddies. SHe has, in fact, made many trips to Smuggler's Cove!

Ms. VanTiki followed the advice given by many of the Yelp reviews: tell the bartender what flavors you are in the mood for, and they will put together something great. THe drink that materialized for her was a vodka based Flora Dora (the original uses gin). SO yummy!

Anyways - I highly recommend Drink to any who are in the Boston area. No, it isn't tiki - but it is a fantastic place for those who like to sip well made beverages.

Aloha!
Henrik "VanTiki"

Huh; Thanks for the tip. Will have to remember that for the next time I'm visiting. Too bad they weren't there when I lived/worked within walking distance.

Pages: 1 1 replies