Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Trader Vics Still Cool

Pages: 1 12 replies

Well, I use to make fun of my dad, having Luau parties and making Tiki drinks, but here I am as an adult following the Tiki cult factor, and loving every minute of it.
I have read some posts here saying that Trader Vics is uncool and stupid, but to their demise, Vics has survived for over 50 years, and I am here to proclaim: I LOVE TRADER VICS!!! So be it, Trader Vics is not “politically correct”’ but there are a lot of cheesy restaurants out there, and I will take a night out at "The Vics" any day of the year than those fast food plastic franchises. Trader Vics is also starting to see a resurgence that will thrive in the next five years. So I simply want to say, LONG LIVE TRADER VICS!!
The Tiki Gods have spoken.

On 2003-06-17 00:28, Unga Bunga wrote:
I have read some posts here saying that Trader Vics is uncool and stupid.

They were probably referring to Vics use of an occasional pirate mug. Gosh, how IRONIC that Vic would use a pirate mug...

S

Here I thought "politically correct" was Uncool. Jeez, all this talk of cool and uncool has really got me feeling self-concious ! One thing I know for sure: When you live in a town where the closest TikiBar is a 3hr drive, any TikiBar is cool. Well, almost any.

I'll agree --- Trader Vics still cool --- except Palo Alto.

F

For all around greatness I like the Emeryville TV's. I just can't afford the drinks. Yeah, the Palo Alto TV's is pretty diluted but a few tiki's is better than no tiki. I still can't afford the drinks though. That little "The Islands" (or whatever it's called. It's kinda a haze) dive bar down the street is more in my price range. It's so sad. Maybe we can start a charity fund here for me so I can afford better quality drinks?

As far as cool vs uncool. All I got to say about that is one of my favorite things about the tiki community is that usually everyone is pretty unselfconscious. I really dig that.

M

On 2003-06-17 00:28, Unga Bunga wrote:
I have read some posts here saying that Trader Vics is uncool and stupid

Who in the hell is saying that?! I haven't seen posts to that effect. If there's anyone on this list saying that, they would seem to be missing the point. And if that's the feeling, what then, in the world of Polynesian themed eateries would be cool and not stupid? (Please let's not discuss the semantics of the word cool) Urgh...this post made me blow a gasket. Thanks Unga, for standing up for something that shouldn't need standing up for. Except Palo Alto.

L

Fonduie - were you around when Traders was at Cosmo Place in SF? Back then I could not afford the drinks and could not understand why the super exotic bar was usually empty when I could get my folks to buy me dinner there. Too bad they could not hold out at that spot until the craze hit again. Last I checked it was a French-Vietnamese plantation themed set up. Oh the memories!

M
Mambo posted on Tue, Jun 17, 2003 5:28 PM

amen unga!

I was at Vic's in the Beverly Hilton last
xmas and had a blast!

Yea Mon!

T

Anyone who says Trader Vic's is uncool is a dirty stinker!

T

TV's in E-ville has a weekday special that's a pretty good deal. It's $8 for a drink and and appetizer. It's a limited menu to order from, but if you just wanna hang at a "cool" place, it's not so bad. A good cocktail anywhere is $4 or $5, and you get a decent bit of food to go with it.

T

On 2003-06-17 18:17, Tiki-bot wrote:
TV's in E-ville has a weekday special that's a pretty good deal. It's $8 for a drink and and appetizer. It's a limited menu to order from, but if you just wanna hang at a "cool" place, it's not so bad. A good cocktail anywhere is $4 or $5, and you get a decent bit of food to go with it.

Is that a happy hour deal or is it offered all evening?

maybe he read one of my posts about trader vics BEVERLY HILLS , due to their snobby attitude.remember kids, if it's not p.c., it probably is great fun, good tasting or takes nerve, so do it. their drinks kicked ass f.y.i.

No twowheelin, it wasn't you.
I'll just let it go.

May the tikis shine upon you.

Pages: 1 12 replies