Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tikiyaki Orchestra June 16th at the Chit Chat Club- cancelled.

Pages: 1 15 replies

T

The Chit Chat Club, a retro-minded monthly dance,music and fashion event has asked us to be their musical guest.
The vibe is pure vintage all the way, so this is a great chance to dress to the nines, and get all swanky, tho' I'm sure your best aloha wear will do the trick !
We'd love to see the Tikiyaki Ohana come out an support us here.This is a new crowd we'll be playing to,and it'd be great to see some familiar faces there to make us feel at home.
The Park Plaza is a beautiful, swanky old hotel in downtown LA, so it should be a great night.

Here's the info :

**TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA - SAT, JUNE 16th

The Chit Chat Club at The Historic Park Plaza
607 S. Park View St.
Los Angeles, CA 90057**

Doors open at 8pm
Vintage 16mm film program “Cinema Cabaret” from 9-10pm

THE TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA at 10pm - 2 sets !

DJ Nuria Alsina the lovely lady from Spain from 12am till 2am spinning wild and exotic vintage dance music.

Cocktails are very much a part of the club so we will definitely be doing the original Mai Tai and a few other vintage Tiki drinks done properly from original recipes.

Reserved tables that seat up to six for $20 (entrance fee not included)

the chit chat club is held at The Historic Park Plaza
607 S. Park View St.
Los Angeles, CA 90057

Free street parking or $6 parking structure behind the building

Club description :

The Chit Chat Club is a vintage style event celebrating extraordinary and unique pop culture from the 1920s through the 1960s and is held once a month in one of Los Angeles’ most beautiful and historic architectural landmarks, the 1925 Park Plaza.
Modeled after the glamorous metropolitan night clubs of yesteryear, the Chit Chat Club offers an evening of historic cocktails, culinary delights, rare vintage 16mm films and spectacular retro-style musical performances all situated in an ornate ballroom with huge hardwood dance floor.

Admission is $15 - reserved table for up to 6 guests $20

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2012-05-01 10:51 ]

J

Nice !!

Were any current Tikiphiles at the infamous Elks Lodge (Police) Riot back in the day ??...

Or Scream in the mid to late 80's (post-Embassy Hotel) ??

What a cool place for a Tikiyaki show !! :)

EDIT - Scream was actually in the 80's (not 90's). It's all a blur to me.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-04-30 17:27 ]

I loved Scream! Didn't you claim, John O, you had a mohawk or was it a Robert Smith hairdoo?

J

Naw, I pretty much wore my hair back then like I do now. Here's the funny part, I used to wear one of those vintage Aloha-print blazers that I found at a thrift store to Scream. I remember one of the Goth girls making a snide remark.. "Who let the Mod in ??" Ha, ha.

I gave that blazer away before I learned that Tiki was a "style". :( I wish I still had it.

Oh yea, we called you x- ray specs guy with the tiki shirt......I remember you, now!

T
TNT posted on Mon, Apr 30, 2012 7:51 PM

Love the Park Plaza - beautiful building. Scream at the Park Plaza was fun and my favorite spot for a while. It will be quite a night with Tikiyaki Orchestra and our 23rd anniversary too.
How do we reserve a table? The chit chat club website seems to be out of date.

[ Edited by: TNT 2012-04-30 19:57 ]

Darnit, I am gonna be on a TV job in the Alps then... I love the Park Plaza! I first went in there in 1986, as a gaffer on "Slamdance" - damn was I skinny then!:

I saw Korla Pandit on the big pipe organ there in the early 90s, and in Nov. 95, it was the venue for EXOTICON:

"Venice, Calif.'s Otto von Stroheim (no relation to the famed film director) co-edits Tiki News, another tiki zine. Tiki News recently produced Exoticon, a convention of tiki art and exotic music fanciers held in L.A. last November at the Park Plaza Hotel. The event drew 1,500 people to hear several "exotic music" performers, particularly tiki cult favorite Combustible Edison reinterpreting the heavy-marimba sound that the much-imitated musician Martin Denny popularized."

...quoted from THIS article:

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/01.04.96/tiki-9601.html

Now THERE'S a blast from the past!

Wow,it seems that the show is off according to their website...

http://www.thechitchatclub.net/

I havent heard anything from Curtis , the promoter , so as soon as I do know something I will post it here....RATS !

What major suckage! I had not heard anything about the Plaza in years until this. Landlords just wanna see immediate profits, but don't see that in this economy, just keeping a place alive and relevant and attracting new people is the best asset for a prosperous future. Sigh.

I remember seeing Janes Addiction numerous times at the Scream (back when they were much more interesting), as well as, tons of great bands. I loved the late 80's early 90's !! Too Much Fun !!

O

On 2012-05-01 09:01, The Sperm Whale wrote:
I remember seeing Janes Addiction numerous times at the Scream (back when they were much more interesting), as well as, tons of great bands. I loved the late 80's early 90's !! Too Much Fun !!

LOL, I remember walking out on Janes Addiction because it seemed like they were playing Scream every other week at the time and I was more of a Tex & the Horseheads fan.

T

Well, sadly it is in fact true.The venue basically gave the promoter the boot with no notice. Knowing how important a venue is to the overall feel and vibe of an event, I'm bummed for the him. Hopefully, he'll find another venue to start this great club up again.

On 2012-04-30 21:43, bigbrotiki wrote:
Darnit, I am gonna be on a TV job in the Alps then... I love the Park Plaza! I first went in there in 1986, as a gaffer on "Slamdance" - damn was I skinny then!:

I was an extra on that movie, Sorry to hear of the cancellation for this gig!

Was it Powerhouse also? It's all slightly coming back to me.

J
JOHN-O posted on Tue, May 1, 2012 1:24 PM

Power Tools.

I think that's what replaced Scream after Dayle Gloria left to start booking shows at White Trash A-Go-Go (or was it English Acid ?? Club with No Name ??).

On 2012-05-01 13:12, RevBambooBen wrote:

Was it Powerhouse also? It's all slightly coming back to me.

The Powerhouse was a bar on Hollywood Blvd. which I spent to much time at, Actor Mark Sheppard was the bartender.

Which reminds me of another club going on the same time as Scream was AC/DC (My crazy buddy "Nicky Beat" was one of the promoters) which was the former Odyssey (Remember the Odyssey!) gads I'm old.........

Pages: 1 15 replies