Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Alexander Markey movie "Hei Tiki" from 1935

Pages: 1 3 replies

I came across this poster and became intrigued by the promise of a "Weird Maori Drama". The director Alexander Markey had evidently already attempted to make a movie involving the Maori once before called "Under the Southern Cross" in 1929. After offending all involved, progress of the half finished film ground to a halt and the the movie was taken over by the studio. Not to be deterred Markey returned to New Zealand and succeeded in making even more enemies and needed 4 years to finish his movie.

I can find very few mentions of "Hei Tiki" on the net other than a good documentary about the movie called "Adventures in Maoriland: The Making of Hei Tiki.

You can watch it in pieces here:

http://www.nzonscreen.com/title/adventures-in-maoriland-1985

"Having exploited and offended Māori when in NZ in 1928 to make his film Under the Southern Cross, Hollywood director Alexander Markey returned two years later to make Hei Tiki, spending about four years around Taupo in the process and upsetting everyone all over again. The film, based on a Māori legend, was panned upon its New York release in 1935. This documentary tells the remarkable story of the making of Hei Tiki, and includes clips from the film, footage of the cast and crew at work, and interviews with descendants of the actors."

I recommend this documentary. The carvings, the locale, the people involved, and the story are all compelling. But now I want to see "Hei Tiki" in its complete form.

[ Edited by: SuperEight 2012-05-03 22:30 ]

G

That is really great stuff, thanks for the poster and the link. I love the Maori designs, and have a few of the Rotorua carved pieces. The more I get into Tiki, the more I get into history as well, and as a movie fan, this is a nice convergence of interests.

K

Thanks for posting this. Really enjoyed watching it!

C

I know where a fully restored copy of this movie is situated, but do not know the address. The woman who has this movie is a daughter of Ben Biddle who was the lead male role in this movie. Her name is Daphne Marshall her husbands name is Cliff Marshall. She currently resides in a small township in the Central North Island of New Zealand called Turangi.

[ Edited by: Cyclopps 2013-08-13 14:57 ]

Pages: 1 3 replies