Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Chicago's Best Rum & Overall Tiki-Friendly Liquor Store?

Pages: 1 8 replies

M

I've come up sadly lacking at some of Binny's suburban locations (Skokie, Niles) and a DiCarlo (Mundelein) while searching for a decent selection of Martinique and Jamaican rums. I've also been looking for a good orange curacao/liqueur a la Creole Shrubb and hope I might find something other than DeKuyper or Bols somewhere as well.

Can anyone recommend any quality rum/mixer stores in Chicagoland or even SE Wisconsin (I work in the northern suburbs). As for Wisconsin, I frequent Woodman's in Kenosha (mostly for craft beer) which has a few rums, but still a slightly underwhelming selection for such a large place.

Any help? I'm jonesing for a great Mai Tai!

Mahalo,
MauiHowie

C
croe67 posted on Tue, May 8, 2012 6:58 AM

Aloha!

Princess Pupule here. :D

The best spot in SE Wisconsin is Woodman's in Oak Creek - night & day difference between what they carry & the Kenosha one. The Kenosha one was good 5ish years ago, but I think the Liquor manager from Kenosha went to the new Oak Creek store, so now that's the place to go. That's your spot - for sure! Check it out :)

M

Perfect! Great to hear from you, Princess! :) Can't wait to say hi at Ohana!

I see a drive up north in my immediate future. Great excuse to stop at Foundation Bar too. :wink:

Mahalo,
MauiHowie

KD

The selection at the Elmwood Park, IL Binny's (on North Ave)has a good selection of rums, along with Velvet Falernum, Herbsaint and Pomegranate syrup.

M

Thanks, Killdevil. A bit closer to home so I might try your place first, then check out Woodman's next time I'm up MKE way.

Mahalo,
MauiHowie

I've had excellent luck with Antioch Fine Wine & Liquors. They have a decent selection in-stock but more importantly they let me order items not on their shelf. In the past few months they've special ordered me Smith & Cross, Clement Cuvee Homere, Clement VSOP, Clement Creole Shrubb and St Elizabeth Allspice Dram.

It's unrelated to what you're looking for, but last week they still had 8-9 bottles of old label LH151 on the shelf.

Good luck. :)

http://www.antiochwine.com/

VERY interesting, Darth. I work about 10-15 miles from Antioch so it's most definitely worth a stop...perhaps even tonight? :)

Thanks!

C

Oh yeah - I forgot about Antioch!
I've been there - decent selection, but the big bonus is their willingness to order in what you want - for sure. Great to here that it's close by for you!

You might want to give DrinkUpNy.com or Beltramos.com a try. The first has free shipping with a reasonable size order. Both have great prices and selection.

Pages: 1 8 replies