Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge: A Unique Opportunity for You!

Pages: 1 4 replies

Listeners to Dr. Zarkov's Tiki Lounge get a special treat this week because, instead of posting the playlist only after the show takes place, this week for one time only we are posting the playlist before the show airs, so you can see what music will be featured on the broadcast of May 16th's show. Normally I am not allowed to post the playlists before the show airs under the contractual terms of the agreement Radio Fairfax has with ASCAP, which controls the copyrights for the artists whose music we broadcast. However, this past week through an equipment snafu at the station my program stopped going out over the air and was replaced by automated programming the station uses when DJs are not there to do their shows live. The problem is that we don't know exactly when my show stopped going out over the air, so the entire show will be re-broadcast next Wednesday. As a result, I figure that because we don't know how much of the show was actually broadcast, we have fulfilled our contractual obligations to ASCAP in terms of publicly posting the playlist.

On this week’s show we will slitherate through another seminal and sensational celebration of the season of spring in all its effluvial eflorvescence, including glorious gardens and fabulotious flora.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm EDT at: http://www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived. Some fans choose to record it on their computers to listen to later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: May 16, 2012

1. “Lahaina Morning Rain” by The Tikiyaki Orchestra from their CD: Aloha, Baby! featuring Jim Bacchi on Guitar, Organ, Ukulele & Bongo Drums; Marty Lush on Vibes; Gary Brandin on Steel Guitar; Brian Kassan on Keyboards & Guitar; Jonpaul Balak on Electric Bass; and Eddie Cleland on Drums.

2. “Poppy Time in Old Japan” by the New Leviathan Oriental Fox-Trot Orchestra on their 1975 recording: From New Orleans to Constantinople – On the S.S. Leviathan.

3. “Roses of Picardy,” The 1916 World War I song by Frederick Weatherly & Haydn Wood from the 1956 LP: Frankie Lane and Buck Clayton & His Orchestra – Jazz Spectacular, featuring Buck Clayton on Trumpet; Sir Charles Thompson on Piano, Budd Johnson on Tenor Sax, J.J. Johnson & Kai Winding on the Trombone Duet and Lawrence Brown on Trombone Solo.

4. “Flower Girl of Bordeaux,” by Juan Garcia Esquivel from his 1960 recording: Music From a Sparkling Planet, featuring Vocals by Monette Malvar, Pennni Prior, Yvonne De Bourbon, Maria Caruso, Carolyne Day, Delia Lee and Anna Sumi.

5. “Jardin De La Noche” from the CD: Voodoo! – The Exotic Sounds of Robert Drasnin, with Sally Terri on Vocal.

6. “Lilly,” by Pink Martini from their 2004 CD: Hang on Little Tomato, featuring China Forbes on Vocal.

7. “One Morning in May,” the 1933 song by Mitchell Parish & Hoagy Carmichael from Benny Carter’s 1958 LP: Aspects [From the CD: Benny Carter Plays Cole Porter’s Can-Can and Anything Goes/Aspects], including Benny Carter on Alto Sax and Larry Bunker on Vibes.

8. “Jardim” by the Brazilian singer Rosa Passos from her CD: Rosa.

9. “Love in Bloom,” the 1947 version by Dr. Horace Q. Birdbath, The Barefooted Pennsylvanians & The Salvina Sisters on vocals, taken from the CD Box Set: Strictly for Music Lovers/Spike Jones & His City Slickers, Composed by Ralph Rainger & Leo Robin for the 1934 Bing Crosby-Kitty Carlisle movie: She Loves Me Not.

10. “Show Me,” the Lerner & Loewe song from the 1956 musical: My Fair Lady, performed by Karrin Allyson from her CD: Daydream, featuring Paul Smith on Piano, Danny Embrey on Electric Guitar; Rod Fleeman on Acoustic Guitar; Bob Bowman on String Bass; and Todd Strait on Drums.

11. “If I Were a Bell,” the Frank Loesser song from the 1950 Broadway musical: Guys and Dolls, sung and performed on piano by Blossom Dearie 1958 LP: Once Upon a Summertime, including Mundell Lowe on Electric Guitar; Ray Brown on Bass; and Ed Thigpen on Drums.

12. “Willow Weep for Me,” the 1932 song composed by Ann Ronell, from the 1955 LP: Clifford Brown With Strings, arranged & conducted by Neil Hefti.

13. “It's De-Lovely,” live version sung by Dinah Shore on the compilation: Cole Porter – A Great American Songwriter.

14. “Garden in the Rain,” the 1928 song by Carroll Gibbons & James Dyrenforth, performed by Frank Sinatra on his 1962 recording: Great Songs From Great Britain, with the orchestra & strings arrangements and conducted by Frank Farnon.

15. “Spring Is Here” from the 1957 LP: Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Rodgers and Hart Songbook, introduced in the 1938 Broadway musical: I Married An Angel.

16. “Stone Flower,” the 1970 recording by Antonio Carlos Jobim from the collection: Bossa Jazz, featuring Jobim on Piano, Harry Lookofsky on Violin, Joe Farrell on Soprano Sax, Urbie Green on Tormbone, Hubert Laws on Flute, Ron Carter on Bass, Airto on Percussion, Joao Palma on Drums & Everaldo Ferreira on Congas.

GD

Nice selection there Doc.

[ Edited by: GG Deluxe 2012-05-14 17:54 ]

Thank you for your kind words, GG Deluxe. I hope that you get a chance to hear the show. BTW, would you be okay with me downloading your song to use on a future show?

GD

I've PMed you.

P

"Spring is Here" is my favorite Rodgers and Hart tune. Ella does it perfectly. Nice.

Pages: 1 4 replies