Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The NW is getting a new tiki bar!

Pages: 1 8 replies

For a long time I've noticed the McMenimen brothers hanging out in Thatch Tiki Bar.

One of the sons, Dan had been bitten pretty hard by the tiki bug.

They bought a 4-story building in Tacoma. its going to be a proper tiki bar with get this...

A pool in the basement that is going to have seating around it like the Tonga room.

Holy S hit I hope it succeeds! I would love to have a great tiki bar up here! Do you know when they may open it?

I'll find out tonight. Troy Susan, the Bamboo Craftsman is doing all the build out. He and I are having yet another meeting late tonight.

W

This story has been kickin around here since July of 2010.

McMenamin's in Tacoma, WA

If further information and discussion were posted in that thread it'd keep all the information conveniently in one place. (Ideal for people doing research on the Tiki Revival in the year 2178.)

[ Edited by: woofmutt 2012-05-15 19:20 ]

RB

This might explain this CraigsList posting, though it says "Portland" and not "Tacoma":

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/atq/3013603436.html

I replied to that ad, afterall, the Jasmine Tree and the Kon Tiki had way more than would fit in Thatch. It wasn't anyone I had heard of. This person wants to do a home tiki bar and garden. Mt Tabor area.

Hey there,

Sorry to hijack the thread...Do you know of any Tiki carvers in Portland or places to purchase a 5 to 6 ft statue? I have a tropical garden, and want one for my bamboo grove. Is there a price that they tend to go for without getting bent over? I saw one on CL a couple of weeks ago, but they wanted $2500..seemed a little steep?

Thanks
-Brian

P.S. Thatch was awesome! I made it in on Tuesday last week before you closed and got a couple of mugs!! :)

RB

Bloody Good, there was a local carver at the "May Lei Day" celebration in Vancouver WA earlier this month whose stuff was beautiful...but I didn't grab his business card. I'm sure you could contact the Ke Kukui Foundation that put the event on, and they would have his info: http://kekukuifoundation.org/

RAD!! Thanks so much, I will see if I can get a hold of somebody. I would have loved to gone to that. Hopefully I can make the festival in July! I just made it to Bamboo Craftsman up on N Willis yesterday and they had some nice Tikis up there!

Pages: 1 8 replies