Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

How close is the Zombie recipe from Sippin Safari to the one from Tiki+ iPhone App?

Pages: 1 7 replies

T

Somehow I missed out on purchasing Sippin Safari and now only eBay and some real shady booksellers have it listed from 300% to 3000% markup. I don't want to give away any recipes but I was wondering if they were close since the iPhone app says it was "adapted from" the Sippin Safari recipe. I am referring to the oldest recipe (1934?) I think.
Thanks
Tom

[ Edited by: teamtom 2012-05-31 07:58 ]

I think they're the same(my wife has the app), however I can't recommend Sippin' Safari highly enough, not just for the recipes but the fascinating backstory saga of Don the Beachcomber and his bartenders. Come to think of it, there may be several drink recipes in SS that are not in Grog Log Remixed and/or the App. Folks?

T

I want to buy Sippin Safari but I can't swing $55 on eBay or $80 to $266 from other sellers on the web. It's like they printed 12 books and folded up shop. Any other sources for the book?
Thanks,
Tom

T

I'm fortunate enough to have both Sippin' Safari and the iPhone Tiki+ app.

The Tiki+ Zombie (1934) corresponds exactly to the Sippin' Safari page 121 Zombie Punch (1934), except the Sippin' Safari recipe has the original brand and recommended substitute for the aged Jamaican rum called out in the app.

The Tiki+ Zombie (variation) (1950) corresponds exactly to the Sippin' Safari page 116 Zombie (1950).

Aside from the extremely interesting historic context and images contained in Sippin' Safari, mentioned by Kill Devil in his post, the Tiki+ app lacks additional recipes for the Zombie (1956) on page 121 and the Hot Zombie (1941) on page 123 of Sippin' Safari.

Here's hoping you eventually run across a bargain priced Sippin' Safari.

-Tom

S

A) A visit to The Grogalizer would have answered your question. You still need to go there regardless.

B) SS is being re-issued, but they are making the eBook version a priority.

T

Correct me if I'm wrong but the grogalizer won't give me amounts will it? So if the ingredients were a match but the amounts were different, wouldn't the grogalizer still consider them the same?

S

On 2012-05-31 10:51, teamtom wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but the grogalizer won't give me amounts will it? So if the ingredients were a match but the amounts were different, wouldn't the grogalizer still consider them the same?

Ah, you are correct sir! I stand ashamed in my haste!

On 2012-05-31 09:07, TikiTomD wrote:
I'm fortunate enough to have both Sippin' Safari and the iPhone Tiki+ app.

The Tiki+ Zombie (1934) corresponds exactly to the Sippin' Safari page 121 Zombie Punch (1934), except the Sippin' Safari recipe has the original brand and recommended substitute for the aged Jamaican rum called out in the app.

BTW, I believe the Bum has updated his recommendation for the aged Jamaican rum to Smith & Cross from Appleton Estate V/X

Pages: 1 7 replies