Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: $600 Book of Tiki

Pages: 1 28 replies

G
M

Oh brother! I just love it when people get tiki stuff and don't know anything about it, and then try to sell it for some unreasonable amount.

No,No & No, Don't give these mercenary sellers your business!
If your willing to do some work & hunting you can still find it for around one hundred bones,sometimes less.

If you can't afford $600, just post a picture of an African mask or use the word "Caribbean;" you can generally get a whole Tiki lecture, complete with photographs, for free, right here on TC.

We're helpful like that.

G

On 2012-06-01 12:47, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
No,No & No, Don't give these mercenary sellers your business!
If your willing to do some work & hunting you can still find it for around one hundred bones,sometimes less.

Good thing you told me that!! :D

Seriously, abebooks is your friend. Love that site.

G

On 2012-06-01 13:09, Professor G wrote:
If you can't afford $600, just post a picture of an African mask or use the word "Caribbean;" you can generally get a whole Tiki lecture, complete with photographs, for free, right here on TC.

We're helpful like that.

Hey, I have this Indonesian mask, is it Tiki? I think it looks sort of... CARIBBEAN!

is this the original art from Moritz? then you may want to bring that price down to $85 then.

W

G

On 2012-06-01 15:49, Wildsville man wrote:
is this the original art from Moritz? then you may want to bring that price down to $85 then.

W

I don't think the ebay seller is on the forum. I just thought Sven might be impressed at what he was going for :wink:

... I think that IS sven's listing !! :)

G

On 2012-06-01 20:36, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

... I think that IS sven's listing !! :)

It could be! :D

I have been dealing in collectable's since 1987.

I've got a couple copies already but I still cant stop myself from going through the books and mag sections of thrift shops etc to maybe find another..
Sven, when's The Book of Tiki II coming out? I'm Ready for more.. :)

It did come out, it's called "Tiki Modern" :D

Strange, I have no idea how that seller would arrive at such a ridiculous amount: He even states it's not in perfect condition. It's not signed either, and you can find used hardcover ones in "Good" condition for around 70 bucks on Amazon. Used book sellers sometimes have way-off prices for all kinds of books in their internet offers, but hose clearly are computer calculation glitches. Maybe this guy doesn't really wanna sell it...

F

Weird coincidence - I was at an estate sale this morning in Fresno and lo and behold - there was a pristine copy of the Book of Tiki among some art books. It was still in its plastic wrapping!! Yup, it was never opened. I snatched it up for $15. My second copy of the book.

P
Philot posted on Sat, Jun 2, 2012 9:55 PM

On 2012-06-02 01:41, bigbrotiki wrote:
It did come out, it's called "Tiki Modern" :D

Strange, I have no idea how that seller would arrive at such a ridiculous amount: He even states it's not in perfect condition. It's not signed either, and you can find used hardcover ones in "Good" condition for around 70 bucks on Amazon. Used book sellers sometimes have way-off prices for all kinds of books in their internet offers, but hose clearly are computer calculation glitches. Maybe this guy doesn't really wanna sell it...

Reminded me I don't have a copy. Looks like Booksamillion thinks they have some copies that they're selling for $39.99. Says usually ships in 2-4 weeks, and they took my order online, so I have my fingers crossed.

http://www.booksamillion.com/p/Tiki-Modern/Sven-A-Kirsten/9783822847176?id=5386990290718

Sometimes the crazy prices you see are due to automated programs. Seller A will search out an item that seller B is charging $10 and then list it for $15, with the assumption that if you order it from A, they'll buy it from B and pocket the difference. Throw in multiple sellers and they will periodically get into a feedback loop with each other and you'll see some crazy prices. I saw a 10 oz bottle of Angostura bitters going for well over $200 the other day.

This is also why you'll find that many sellers don't actually have the product you ordered. They go back to the original seller, who has already sold it.

I see there is a "Make Offer" button on that listing. We should all make an offer of $50. I mean all of us make the same offer. An entertaining way of getting the point across that your listing is way out of line with reality.

KS

Agreed... I offered a realistic bid and sent him a note listing several instances of what they are going for "in real life" and he said he hasn't seen them sell for that and he would have bought them all up at those "realistic" prices. Maybe we should all offer him our copies at $350 each??? Haha!!!!!!!!

I made my $50 offer and am waiting :)

KS

I had a bottle of wine with my late lunch, so I had an idea... Haha!!!!!!!! He already stated that $70-90 for this book was a great price and he'd buy all that he saw at that "ridiculously low price", so I sent him a message stating that I could find at least 5 of these books within a couple of days and I would sell them to him for $200 each. He said that that was a bargain, so he should accept right??? I'm not usually a pest, but I couldn't help myself...

P.S. I offered $50 and he counter offered with $575.00, then I showed him examples of realistic pricing...

M

lol

I saw another copy on eBay for $65 last night, sooooooo........

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-06-06 15:59 ]

I offered $50 too. Some people on ebay...
Like the dude who has been trying to get $799.99 for the Orchids of Hawaii volcano bowl and $199.99 for the pineapple for years. I got 17 R-76s, 2 volcano bowls and 3 pineapples off of CL for $40.

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Jun 18, 2012 4:40 PM

Just checked on this book - its now been reduced in price - 10% off original asking price - only $540 !!

I didn't receive a response regarding my $50.00 best offer either :wink:

V

there seems to be websites that sells the hardcover versions for a cheap price (at least in France).

[ Edited by: virani 2012-07-28 12:41 ]

well now that it is getting a reprint, we shall see about these crazy prices on eBay.

Interesting story about the price bots. My wife has seen all this happen to her book as well:

http://www.teleread.com/ebooks/amazon-price-bots-result-in-unusually-high-and-low-priced-books/

Very funny, thank you.

Crazy Man!

Pages: 1 28 replies