Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Jaspers Jamaican from Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails? V

Pages: 1 43 replies

Has anyone tried the "secret mix" for the Jaspers Jamaican Punch, as listed in Ted Haigh aka Dr Cocktail's book? Attributed to Jasper himself, consisting of a lot of lime juice and Angostura, along with sugar and grated nutmeg. Sounds intriguing, as I've always thought the active ingredient in this drink was pimento/allspice syrup or pimento dram.

I have the book, but I haven't tried making that mix yet. I'm planning on giving it a try this summer, maybe during a BBQ or something. If anyone has feedback, I'd also be interested.

It's good. Very spicy (as in, 'full of spices') and delicious, if you like Angostura bitters that it. Girl_Dynamo tried it and she wasn't as enamoured as I was, but she doesnt like the 1934 Zombie either. Basically it's a little bit drier than most tropical drinks, and the Angostura makes for one hell of a flavor profile, but it's good. If you like drier, spicier drinks, then you'll love this.

This thread reminds me that I'll have to try other Angostura-heavy drinks, like the Trinidad Sour, as initially unappetizing as they sound .

S

Thanks for pointing this out. We love the Bum's Jasper's and will try this variation this weekend.

The Trinidad Sour is a really, really good cocktail. It's one of those drinks that everybody thinks they are going to hate until they try it. It tends to suck up your Angostura supply though!

I also have the book but have put off making the 'mix' as I fear it will go 'off' before I can use it up. I hate when that happens. I'll wait till I have a 'gathering' double the mix and serve this at the door as guests arrive.
Note: all my true friends are "Rummies" . . . just like me!

S

That is a very frustrating book. It seems every recipe in it has a catch. You have to buy a bottle of some expensive or obscure ingredient to make it. Who wants to spend $30 obtaining a bottle of something you may use 1 ounce of and not care for the drink? Or, like this one, that requires mixing up some potion, and in this case, a big quantity and then if you don't like it...

I have not made one drink in that book, other than those already in the Bum's books.

The Bum's books have a few of these. I still have not bought a bottle of Stroh to make a single cocktail that has poor reviews. I have been able to find small bottles of Barenjager and Creme de Cassis and some other stuff that is used very little.

I only have so much room in my bar for bottles!

It's more of a treasure-hunter's cocktail book. If you love sourcing out obscure and sometimes defunct ingredients, and you love classic cocktails, it's for you. It's inspired me to expand my cocktail repertoire (and my back bar) significantly. I'll be the first to admit I've spent more than I needed to on some of those obscure bottles, but booze lasts a long time and it's a lot of fun experimenting with new cocktails featuring some of those ingredients. Plus, I've sourced out some of Ted Haigh's reference material, which has really opened up a new world for me! Of course, this is not only going off topic but heading into non-tiki territory, so I'll shut up about it. I will throw this question out there: has anyone tried Swedish Punsch? The only one on the market is Kronan by Haus Alpenz. It's expensive and hard to find (haven't found it yet), but it sounds like it pairs well with rum and has a flavor profile that could possibly lend itself to tiki cocktails. I've been on the hunt during all my US visits this year...

On 2012-06-13 13:20, Swanky wrote:
I have been able to find small bottles of ...Creme de Cassis and some other stuff that is used very little.

I only have so much room in my bar for bottles!

hey man, gitchu some tequila and some cheap champagne, and knock that cassis out with a few brunch rounds of tequila sunrises and Kir Royales...

*On 2012-06-13 14:58, Brandomoai wrote:*I will throw this question out there: has anyone tried Swedish Punsch? The only one on the market is Kronan by Haus Alpenz. It's expensive and hard to find (haven't found it yet), but it sounds like it pairs well with rum and has a flavor profile that could possibly lend itself to tiki cocktails. I've been on the hunt during all my US visits this year...

I had to order mine from a place near San Jose. http://www.beltramos.com

It's pretty good. Imagine a slightly smokey 'Pusser's Liqueur', and you have it. I've actually been trying to replicate the flavor by mixing Pusser's, Simple Syrup, and liquid smoke, but nothing acceptable so far.

Oh, and if you ever do get a bottle, try the Doctor Cocktail. It's amazing.

T
S

Maybe it is time to do the same and get into these drinks. My guts have turned against the Tiki drinks. The sour just upsets me lately and I can't take it. I thumbed through last night and there are a decent handful I can make with just a couple of ingredients added to the bar. I am fairly sure I can get Rasberry syrup at the Middle Eastern place here.

Thought I'd mention Batavia Arrack, which is the main ingredient in Swedish Punsch. I've yet to own a bottle of either, but have had the Arrack in a delightful punch at Chicago's Violet Hour. Yes, it's definitely a smoky flavor; rum-like but distinctly unique. David Wondrich's "The Flowing Bowl" is a great history of punch and distilled spirits. Evidently Batavia Arrack(distilled in the Far East), or 'rack, was the originally favored ingredient in punch,to be followed by brandy(Europe) then rum(New World)

those Alpenz guys import Batavia Arrack, iirc.

Haus Alpenz is producing/importing a lot of amazing, unique liquors, but they have no Canadian distribution (just as well, I guess - we'd pay twice the price). Every time I travel to the US I send an email to this guy from their American distribution network to see if any stores in the area are carrying their Swedish Punsch, but he never replies. I'll be in Dallas next week, so if any Texans have leads, please let me know!
Swanky, Ted Haigh says he uses Smuckers Raspberry Syrup, so I've been using a similar (but all natural) syrup that is probably meant for pancakes to very good result. I'd go that direction rather than a coffee shop-style, raspberry flavor syrup, if that's what you're looking for at your local Middle-Eastern place.

Hi, KRONAN Punsch is available in several states in USA today. If you go to our facebook.com/kronanpunsch under where to buy you find stores and bars that carry KRONAN. Yes, we are also in Dallas.... if you need more info or ideas how to get KRONAN to Canada please contact me [email protected]

Have a good trip

Try calling ahead to Pogos and requesting they bring in if not already in stock. You ask you get. Enjoy your visit to Texas too!

You guys are awesome! Thanks for your help on this!

I think it's a great book and I'm working my way through it, albeit slowly.

I think Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails is worth buying alone for the history and great pics of vintage liquor bottles, not to mention the recipes. I do find it heavy on Gin-related drinks though, though there are a large number of drinks containing rum, often joined by other spirits, such as cognac/brandy. Also several recipes for Applejack and/or Calvados, such as the Jack Rose and others. I think Laird's straight Apple Brandy is killer stuff.

Ted Haigh is the unsung pioneer of the craft cocktail revival. He was tinkering in his home lab, reverse engineering extinct cocktail ingredients way before most of today's cocktailians had heard the names pimento dram and falernum. Of course his recipes are sometimes demanding - he did not have to cater to anyone other than his obsession for old liquor and cocktails.

On 2012-06-13 13:20, Swanky wrote:
That is a very frustrating book. It seems every recipe in it has a catch. You have to buy a bottle of some expensive or obscure ingredient to make it. Who wants to spend $30 obtaining a bottle of something you may use 1 ounce of and not care for the drink? Or, like this one, that requires mixing up some potion, and in this case, a big quantity and then if you don't like it...

I had a bottle of the Stroh, and I thought it was horrible and I like most drinks. But I guess it's worth trying. Swanky which strength Stroh were you looking for?

I've made some Jasper's Secret Mix, so I'll be trying this out soon. The mix tastes good on it's own so far.

S

I have heard that Stroh is nasty. Mail me 2 ounces please! You will NEVER find that in an airline bottle size!

nobody puts out the airplane bottles of rum except pretty much bacardi...

Made my Jasper's Secret Mix yesterday and tried it today. Gorgeous.
Tried the Jasper's Jamaican Planter's Punch with Coruba side by side with Jasper's Rum Punch with Wray and Nephew overproof.
The first with Coruba was great but the second with the Wray and Nephew was sensational. I'm not a fan of W&N neat but in this drink it was amazing. Rummy, spicy, deep, sweet, sour.
Make that Jasper's Mix Up and you've a very quick and very tasty treat whenever you need it.

Try it!

Ok! Ok! I give! I made a batch of Jasper's Secret Mix this morning and put it in the fridge to mature until tonight. Fortunately I had exactly 12 fresh limes and a large unopened bottle of Angostura bitters. For the suger, I use all natural pure cane. As I have both Coruba and Wray and Nephew white overproof I'll try the Jasper's Rum Punch as well.
I have two friends visiting tonight . . . Ah! test subjects!

On 2012-06-23 08:08, GentleHangman wrote:
Ok! Ok! I give! I made a batch of Jasper's Secret Mix this morning and put it in the fridge to mature until tonight. Fortunately I had exactly 12 fresh limes and a large unopened bottle of Angostura bitters. For the suger, I use all natural pure cane. As I have both Coruba and Wray and Nephew white overproof I'll try the Jasper's Rum Punch as well.
I have two friends visiting tonight . . . Ah! test subjects!

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Awright! So how much lime juice do you get from 12 limes? In this case 11.5 ounces. So that's all I had available for the "Secret Mix" - and it worked just splendidly! I made a total of six drinks. Three using Coruba; three using Wray & Nephew Overproof. Actually, we all liked both drinks - the ones with Coruba for their smooth mellowness and rummy depth; and the ones with Wray and Nephew for the 'cutting edge warmth' and complex avenue it took the drink along. Two very different drink profiles by simply changing a single rum.
I'm tempted to make up some more of the mix just to try it with different rum combinations like Zaya and El Dorodo 12 YO; Kohala Bay & Lemon Hard 151 . . I'm just sayin',
Totally worth it!

[ Edited by: GentleHangman 2012-06-24 17:03 ]

I got slightly more juice than that but I think it needed it otherwise it may have been too sweet. Totally agree that the Coruba was lovely, but I think the W&N nudged ahead flavourwise.

Okay, I'm convinced. I put the Secret Mix together a few minutes ago and tossed it in the fridge. Will probably be tomorrow evening before I get into it.

T

Which book is this in?

I have the one from 2004. Is it in there, or only in the 2009 Spiral-bound version?

http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Cocktails-Spirits-Ted-Haigh/dp/1840924748/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1340666855&sr=8-2&keywords=Vintage+Spirits+and+Forgotten+Cocktails

My version is the 2009 spiral-bound. That's where I found it.

T

On 2012-06-25 17:03, GentleHangman wrote:

OK, thanks. It is probably one of the 20 new recipes in the spiral-bound version.

On 2012-06-25 17:18, TikiSan wrote:

On 2012-06-25 17:03, GentleHangman wrote:

OK, thanks. It is probably one of the 20 new recipes in the spiral-bound version.

The recipe is available to read on the Amazon website.

Definitely in the spiral version of the Haigh book. I also recall reading that the Jaspers Jamaican will covered in depth in the upcoming Beachbum Berry book

T

I checked Amazon and looked through the sample book pages, but didn't see it. Where did you see it?

On 2012-06-27 00:36, TikiSan wrote:

I checked Amazon and looked through the sample book pages, but didn't see it. Where did you see it?

Here's one. Just substitute Wray and Nephew for Coruba.

http://tnlpdotw.wordpress.com/2010/06/23/06222010-jaspers-jamaican-planters-punch/

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2012-06-27 15:20 ]

T

Thank you, Kon-Hemsby, looks like an excellent recipe.

This is the Wray & Nephew Overproof called for in Jasper's Rum Punch, right?

Incidentally, it's the only W&N product in our market. I had this idea that it probably tasted like an overproof Bacardi Superior, at least that's the idea I've had in my head, so I've never tried it. If the consensus is that not only is this good stuff but that Jasper's Rum Punch is indeed awesome, I'll definitely give it a try! But not if tastes like overproof Bacardi Superior...

That's the Wray and Nephew. It reminds me of agricole. I'm not a fan of it but in Jasper's drink it is tranformed into a god.

the Wray & Nephew overproof definitely tastes nothing like bacardi.

tastes more like puregrain mixed with karo syrup...

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2012-07-01 22:26 ]

I just had the opportunity to try out the "secret mix" with both Coruba and the Wray and Nephew Overproof. Both rums worked great; even the overproof went down quite easily, though it really snuck up on me in the buzz dept (I'm sure it didn't help that it was 100 degrees out here in Chicago), it really packs a punch.

Pages: 1 43 replies